shaq786

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Do you fill for them or no?

Are there any legit ones that you know of?

Is there any sort of research you can do to research legitimacy?

If my pain clinic patients are filling everything on medicaid or other insurance and not going anywhere else...could they be somewhat legit?

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician

If my pain clinic patients are filling everything on medicaid or other insurance and not going anywhere else...could they be somewhat legit?
Are there any legitimate pain clinics?:rolleyes:
Wake up man.
There is an entire medical specialty, and forum on SDN BTW, related to pain medicine.
Check it out.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist

Most are legit, some are suspect. If you have patients that get everything at your pharmacy, they are much more likely to be legitimate patients. Until we figure out a way to diagnose outside of the patient's reported subjective pain experience, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt unless they give you reason to think they are diverting.

Reactions: molyhelp

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
We have a wing in our hospital called Pain Management.
In my experience, pain management clinics affiliated with hospitals are legit ones. Others are less likely to be providing appropriate prescriptions (because of intentional misdeeds, incompetence, or dishonest patients).

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
There's a legitimate pain clinic here in my city. I filled prescriptions from them all the time when I worked in retail (I left that in 2002) and they're still going strong. Their physicians are all board-certified anesthesiologists, and they use non-narcotic drugs as much as possible. I had quite a few customers who were very grateful for this place, because it enabled them to get their lives back.

And any patient who tried to pull any funny stuff was fired from the practice.

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
...And any patient who tried to pull any funny stuff was fired from the practice.
I'd say any clinic that called me and said "Void all of Mr. Smith's refills. We want no further affiliation with him." would be drastically increasing the likelihood that I trust their prescriptions going forward. However, this has never happened to me.