Pain medicine fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefulscribe2

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I am applying for the 2027-28 December cycle, and I understand that the applications could have been submitted around December. Unfortunately, I am behind the game in terms of exposure to pain medicine, and I am still awaiting for a letter of recommendation to be processed by EDFO (getting delays). Would it be a game changer if I don't submit my application prior to February 1st? I am thinking about submitting my application now and then attaching my final LoR once it is finished processing.
 
I am thinking about submitting my application now and then attaching my final LoR once it is finished processing.
You want to submit early. Once you do, email program directors to let them know your LOR is in process. Email them again once it is completed to verify and show your interest again. Some programs start early and scuttle butt is that it is a down year again, so hopefully they'll appreciate your focused interest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I am applying for the 2027-28 December cycle, and I understand that the applications could have been submitted around December. Unfortunately, I am behind the game in terms of exposure to pain medicine, and I am still awaiting for a letter of recommendation to be processed by EDFO (getting delays). Would it be a game changer if I don't submit my application prior to February 1st? I am thinking about submitting my application now and then attaching my final LoR once it is finished processing.
I'd skip pain and go the IR route.

Frankly speaking, IF I could do it all over again, this is what I would do as well.
 
Why pain?
It appears pain has a good referal network and with the future boomers getting older, seems ripe for cash pay. Community radiology practice (especially locums) really does not need a diagnostic subspecialist; most cases are bread and butter, so to me it seems a fellowship year would be better spent in pain, breast, or IR
 
I'd skip pain and go the IR route.

Frankly speaking, IF I could do it all over again, this is what I would do as well.
Interesting, what makes you say that? I am also considering adding a pain fellowship after doing IR (would do IR and DR locums when off and would try to find the chillest pain program)
 
They take call though and end up doing some very low paying work while on call in the middle of the night.
True, though most groups are doing away with it unless its a level 1 that has a stroke/vascular in-house service. Most of the places I work at typically just hold things until the next day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do take anesthesia call, and I actually get referrals from the ortho and spine guys who do cases there. It actually can be a good marketing tool if you let it.
Love hearing tips of the trades like this, dont know how much referals I would bring is, as Ive seen IR is kind of on its own island at times