Pakistani/MSAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twizzed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So I have been flipping through my MSAR 2008-2009 and I was curious to see how many Pakistani's matriculated.

I was really stoked to see that on AMCAS there was an actual bubble to fill in for "pakistani" rather than "other" or "south asian"

Under "asian indian" there were 1287 :D, But I was really bummed out to only see that there was only total of 120 pakistanis :scared:!
It was the 3rd lowest group only 10 more than cuban! I thought that there were at least more than 120!

Then again my personal experience is that a lot of Pakistanis either back to Pakistan to get their MD's or out of the country but I'm not sure how true that is.

Does this mean that we are considered URMs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Mommy mommy thats not fair! I want to be a minority too!!!!

:laugh:

What I don't understand is why a "caucasian male" is in a forum for "underrepresented in healthcare"? :laugh: Oxymoron much?

...Im sorry UCFMOP but it seems like your motives are a little, eh, off?

Oh hai there ignore button....

Does anyone have a serious answer to my question? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a problem with white males? Of course not that would be racist. To answer your question, your race/nationality would not be considered a URM. Really only people with dark skin, native americans (alaskan also), and hispanics are considered to be in this category. Therefore you and me are in the same boat...aka we must have higher gpas and mcat scores to be considered for admission into medical school.

Have a nice day

aka we must have higher gpas and mcat scores to be considered for admission into medical school.

A common misconception...most URMs either have great stats (like those who post here) or have done other things after college to make up for low stats, not unlike non-URMs who gained admission with low stats.

OP: One of my best friends from college is Pakistani and is now one of my classmates too. Those of Asian descent are not considered to be URM. Many of them have amazing stats, like my friend, but they were not enough to get him in by any means. He had a variety of academic/cultural experiences that served him well in applying to med school. URM status plays only a small role in admissions. If you have any unique cultural experiences, that can only help you.