Quantcast

Palm Beach Atlantic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoKoTe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the letter didn't come today ... hopefully by tomorrow. If you get it first please post the details.

fenil2005

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you LoKoTe for your help for the PBA Interview...Interview went well..now, its 2-4 long weeks for that one letter that everybody wants...

also,i got LECOM and Nova interview comin up:D and :scared:... Lecom is my first choice...

NewRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you LoKoTe for your help for the PBA Interview...Interview went well..now, its 2-4 long weeks for that one letter that everybody wants...

also,i got LECOM and Nova interview comin up:D and :scared:... Lecom is my first choice...

OMG lucky you fenil. Look at you? :D Geez, I'm waiting for this one interview invite (NSU) and they are not giving me luv right now. I can't even speak to anyone about my app. No phone calls return. Not emails replies. Message box full. NSU is my first choice because it is cheaper than PBA. Right now, LECOM is my first choice (since I don't hear from NSU). Meanwhile, UF will look at my app. in early March (for interview spot in March or April).

21PharmD, I only interviewed at PBA and I have one coming up for LECOM next week . I'm really excited about LECOM. When I got the call, I almost did not want to believe it. I just feel it is the school for me. However, financially speaking, NSU makes the most sense.

P.S. I have not passed the 2 -4 week threshold of wait time for PBA.

21PharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the letter didn't come today ... hopefully by tomorrow. If you get it first please post the details.

how about today? also, do you know if the deposit must be made in 10 days, or is it 10 business days?

Retriever09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how about today? also, do you know if the deposit must be made in 10 days, or is it 10 business days?

Hi, the 1st deposit is due 14 days after you've received the acceptance call. The letter came pretty late to me, about 5 days after I received my call. I also thought I need to send the deposit 2 weeks from the day I receive the letter, but it's 2 weeks from the call.

LoKoTe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I interviewed Feb 1st, got a call Feb 8th, and have to deposit by Feb 22nd.

barszcz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got accepted to the fall semester for pre-pharm, anyone wanna shed some light on the 6 year program, and campus life there? I'm kind of scared it will be to strict for me, but i love the location.

LoKoTe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got accepted to the fall semester for pre-pharm, anyone wanna shed some light on the 6 year program, and campus life there? I'm kind of scared it will be to strict for me, but i love the location.

Let me correct you, it's NOT a 0-6 program, they say they have guaranteed acceptance for students who meet the reqs, but in real life is not that way, you are competing with anyone applying to the school of pharmacy, but maybe have a lil bit of advantage, that is all. Campus dorms and apartments suck big time, so if you can, get a place outside school. Everything else is ok I guess, the other thing I don't like is that 99% of the science classes you will have to take for your pre-reqs are only offered with one professor, you it's like an organized communism, they can do pretty much what they want, I'd say half of them are really nice and good persons, the other half are mostly nice persons, but have extremely hard tests and don't know how to teach, so just make sure to ask around who those professors are, and take those classes as transient studies in a community college. TAKE MY ADVICE!

barszcz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So even if you do meet the requirements while attending their so called "0-6" program you are not guaranteed a spot for your graduate years?? I'm deciding between Mass college of pharmacy, USP in Philly, and PBA. MCPHS and USP seem to have very respectable programs and I have yet to check out PBA. How would you compare PBA to these other programs?

cdpiano27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go to USP hands down. PBA's program IS NOT 0-6. They just give you a little bit of advantage, as Lokote said, that if you complete our prereqs there your file will a get a better look. But you are applying JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE. And you could also easily get denied. You have to try to get A's in prereqs and a high score. It is NOT 0-6.

MCPHS-Boston kicks out a lot of students. My aunt went there in 1980-1985 and barely passed organic II after the second retake. But it is a respectable program, just a high drop-out rate.

Definitely do not go to PBA for pre-pharm. Yes, West Palm Beach, FL seems very tempting, but do not go.

Go to Philadelphia, the western part of University City, instead!!!

USP is by far the best choice there!
Take my advice!!

LoKoTe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So even if you do meet the requirements while attending their so called "0-6" program you are not guaranteed a spot for your graduate years?? I'm deciding between Mass college of pharmacy, USP in Philly, and PBA. MCPHS and USP seem to have very respectable programs and I have yet to check out PBA. How would you compare PBA to these other programs?

Again, it's NOT a 0-6 program ... it doesn't say so anywhere and they even tell us that in the pre-pharm meetings. It doesn't mean it is a bad school, just as competitive as most pharmacy schools.

ladynjune

Accepted Pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this forum..So nice to meet you ppls.. But I interviewed on Feb 8th and got a reply the following week.. (talk about quick). I am impressed with their facility.. don't you guys think so to? I'm waiting to hear from Nova (they are so slow with everything), my friend who is in the program told me her friend got accepted the day before the program started.. yeah they are pretty disorganized with interviewing. But hopefully I could get in there since it's my first choice and it's less expensive than PBA. I have an interview tomorrow at Lecom Bradenton.. I heard it's really nice from all the posts above. Anyone interviewing tomorrow? What do they ask you?:oops::oops:

barszcz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go to USP hands down. PBA's program IS NOT 0-6. They just give you a little bit of advantage, as Lokote said, that if you complete our prereqs there your file will a get a better look. But you are applying JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE. And you could also easily get denied. You have to try to get A's in prereqs and a high score. It is NOT 0-6.

MCPHS-Boston kicks out a lot of students. My aunt went there in 1980-1985 and barely passed organic II after the second retake. But it is a respectable program, just a high drop-out rate.

Definitely do not go to PBA for pre-pharm. Yes, West Palm Beach, FL seems very tempting, but do not go.

Go to Philadelphia, the western part of University City, instead!!!

USP is by far the best choice there!
Take my advice!!

I am kind of torn between MCPHS and USP because their programs seem very similar, both very respectable and both very challenging. I was leaning towards MCPHS just because I like the Boston area more than Philly but then again I am from Jersey so Boston is a good 5 hour train ride away as opposed to an hour ride into Philly.

After attending open houses at USP and MCPHS I felt that USP seemed tougher and less forgiving if you mess up somewhere. But after reading around, mainly online, it seems MCPHS is very strict on grading and produces more drop outs. Im not sure if one program is more forgiving than the other but basically when it comes down to it, any PharmD program is going to be challening.

Lastly, why do you say not to go to PBA for pre-pharm? Is it just the West Palm Beach area that is tempting me? I'm flying down there later this month to go check it out. I have heard good things about the pharmacy school and they have offered me a good amount of $$$ for my grades. I definetly want to check the school out. Also, how is campus life there?

cdpiano27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Again, PBA is not 0-6. You are pressured to get very high grades to get into the pharmacy school.

The campus is very strict baptist christian and you have to do 100 community service hours every year if you are in their pharmacy school.

I do not know your religious background, but maybe you could feel uncomfortable.

Also, WPB is an expensive area comparable to northern New Jersey's cost of living.

I think you would rather go to an 0-6 program where if you maintain a minimum GPA you are in, rather than being pressured to have to get a 3.5 or above at PBA pre-pharmacy and STILL may not be guaranteed a spot in their pharmacy program.

You may go through two years, get a respectable GPA, and still may not be admitted to their pharmacy program, and just end up with graduating with a bachelors in biology from PBA.

You definitely would not want that.

IN other words, there is REALLY no guaranteed acceptance if you do pre-pharm at PBA, whereas there is guranteed acceptance into the professional curriculum if you maintian a ceratin GPA at MCPHS-Boston or USP. If you have any questions, you can private e-mail LoKoTe, she did her pre-pharmacy work over there. She did not even very sure she was going to be accepted into the professional curriculum of PBA's pharmacy program and she had around a 3.4. But she had A LOT OF PHARMACY EXPERIENCE as well.

Again, there is no such thing as a pharmacy program that is "easy", despite that posting about USN somewhere.

But if I were you, I would simply go to USP. There must be less people dropping about, since it is the hardest school to transfer into, wherease MCPHS-Boston takes quite a number of transfers. That already says something to you. That there are more drop-outs from MCPHS-Boston.

pharmaCC

Accepted PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to both PBA & MWU-CPG. I'm leaning toward CPG but I'm still not sure whether I want to decline PBA. Any advice?