Palm Pilot / PDA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lane

Passing gas
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my uncle just got me Dorland's Pocket Medical Dictionary ("Load definitions for more then 35,000 medical terms onto almost any type of handheld device in use today...for convenient reference on the go!") for a Palm or another PDA. the only problem is i don't own a PDA of any sort and i was curious to see if yall think it would be worth the $200 to buy a decent one to load this program and the huge index of drug interactions onto it for reference. i've heard it would make more sense than carrying a bunch of little books around but as an incoming MS1 i am inherently clueless. any input is appreciated

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lane said:
my uncle just got me Dorland's Pocket Medical Dictionary ("Load definitions for more then 35,000 medical terms onto almost any type of handheld device in use today...for convenient reference on the go!") for a Palm or another PDA. the only problem is i don't own a PDA of any sort and i was curious to see if yall think it would be worth the $200 to buy a decent one to load this program and the huge index of drug interactions onto it for reference. i've heard it would make more sense than carrying a bunch of little books around but as an incoming MS1 i am inherently clueless. any input is appreciated

thanks

I have a Palm Tungsten E, and one of the things I use the most on it is Steadmans Medical Dictionary (and not generally for medical things). You should be able to find a Tungsten E on the net for around $175 or a little less, and then get a 256 MB memory card for another $40 or so. You'll be set for quite a while.

I love the Tungsten E but currently have an M500 which is in perfect working order so I'm going to continue using it until M3 most likely and see what is available on the market at that point. If I were to get one right now though, the Tungsten E would be it, probably the best bang for the buck out there.

If you use it to it's full capacity you'll be very happy you spent the money (which is actually $120 cheaper than what my less capable M500 model was when I bought it). If you use it only as a dictionary it's probably not worth it.

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
that's what I was gonna say. It's more of a playtoy during the first two years, and by the time third year rolls around, they will be that much more advanced and/or cheaper.

:cool: thanks for the help - i'll probably wait and see if i even need one my first year and those sites were really helpful. i also looked to see what the top-of-the-line PDAs were 2 years ago and they're practically antiques now so it may be wise to wait and see what's available in a couple more years :)