palms west hospital,fl-good???

Started by sage2007
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sage2007

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard some bad things about the pediatrics residency in palms west hospital which is in florida...does anyone have any information about this program
 
I know residents there and students who did cores and electives there. All have said it is a toxic environment where no one is happy, and they can be very disrespectful to each other. I also know residents who have left in the middle of training (sometimes in the middle of the year). I have never heard anything good to be honest, out of like 20 people's accounts. And this is across specialties.
 
i know students who really enjoy the month as their in-hospital peds elective and the attendings there are super-smart... but they also said the same thing as the person above... that residents were leaving in the middle of their training and that the program was unorganized.

but if you want to be in a fun part of florida, near the beach.... ??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have done a rotation at Palms West, and at Columbia. So have many of my classmates.

There is some great learning there, but be warned: The faculty does not put up with crap! If you want to go to the beach all day and goof off, they will call you on it. My understanding is that students who work hard and know their patients really enjoy the rotations. But those who spend the day locked in the broom closet with nudie magazines wind up being kicked out.

Seriously, the dme and faculty appear to work very hard to create an atmosphere of professionalism and study. They are not afraid to toss out students or residents who act unprofessionally...I have seen it happened, and it was deserved! I, and those others I know who rotated there had wonderful experiences and will be applying there this year for residency.
 
I agree with dostud - the hours were long, even for a rotation. We were averaging about 13-14 hours per day, 6 days per week. We arrived between 5 and 5:30 am to begin pre-rounds. The doctors are excellent, they can be tough, but in a good way. I think they maintain a great balance with the fine line associated with "pimping." They question you enough to encourage and reinforce learning, but not so much that you feel belittled.(sp?) Dostud is right - if you are not ready to work hard, they will take notice, and you will be called out on it.

I am very interested in Peds and loved every minute of my experience there. The only down side...is that it was alot of minutes! The pathology that I saw was out of this world! The floor is a good size and the PICU is right there as well, with access to even more interesting cases! The information from the peds books was jumping off the pages in the patients we saw every day! I enjoyed all the nurses and all of the docs. In general, I enjoy Palms West more than the other hospitals I have been too. It has the friendly, small town feel.

That was my personal experience as a student. On the flip side, I have heard from physicians that if you are really interested in hard core peds, that it is not the best place to go. However, that was more from an administrative standpoint - not the people or the pathology. Hope this helps!