Pandemic wiped away clinical opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiddendeterrence

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Reaction score
I'm very frustrated about the clinical hours thing. Seriously, from January 2020 - late 2022, I was completely out of options. Can I attribute the diminished clinical hours to the pandemic? I'm looking for clinical hours right now... where can I find good clinical opportunities that I can write about before I submit my application in July? I'm so, so worried that my application is going to be binned because of something I can't help. I still have 80+ clinical hours from the clinic and I could talk for hours about how much I loved and enjoyed it. A part of me wonders if I'm not competitive enough for this application cycle.....

Edit: Does phone calling people to invite them to come over to the hospital for research, and then observing their interviews with the physician scientists count as "clinical" experience?

Members don't see this ad.

If the people you are seeing are not patients, then it is not a clinical experience.

Some people did find opportunities for community service during the pandemic that if not exactly clinical were adjacent such as assisting at testing and vaccination sites. People who had credentials to work in hospitals as aides were in demand. (there were shortages of people willing to work in those risky settings.) That said, you can't change your past, just go forward doing the best you can now.

If you feel sorely under-experienced, it might be better to wait, and work, a year than to apply and be empty handed a year from now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But what about 2023-2024?
If you were too focused on school to take time for those during these 2 years then you will have a better chance of admission by spending the next year improving your overall application and apply in 2025-2026

Reactions: 3 users
ScribeAmerica is always hiring it seems, paid (albeit not very well) clinical experience and you can get A LOT over the next year

Reactions: 1 user
But it just doesn't seem fair. There were many things I did during the pandemic to advance patient healthcare. I worked for 100 hours working on virtual volunteering events for students to call and write letters to patients in long term care in hospitals. I opened up chapters of my organization that allowed students to get clinical hours in other states, evne if I could not directly participate. Even if my resume doesn't show direct clinical experience, there is a story that shows my commitment to healthcare. Will this be taken into account? I don't want to wait an ENTIRE EXTRA YEAR just to fulfill a checkbox.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I don't want to wait an ENTIRE EXTRA YEAR just to fulfill a checkbox.
I know this feels very unfair and incredibly frustrating, but as of now, you risk dropping thousands of dollars, time, and energy into an application cycle that may unfortunately not work in your favor because some adcoms will see a lack of direct patient care. Everything you mentioned doing during the pandemic sounds amazing and will be seen favorably, but missing direct clinical experience may be a red flag. If you have the confidence to apply this cycle, go for it, but in this gap year, find a job or something to rack up those hours in case you need to reapply.

This is over-reaction and catastrophization.
Of course it doesn’t mean all your work is for naught.
My advice is meant to save you the anguish of having to apply twice because you will be scored low on experiences if you try applying right now.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Over reaction? I'm 25 right now, and you guys want me to start medical school at 27. All because I just so happened to go to school during the pandemic. Top 10 school? 3.8GPA? Hundreds of hours of research and service? Worthless. I'm trash. Even if I apply to 40 schools (as I plan to). I'm scum. I'm scum. Just. Ban me. I have nothing left to say.
You got lots of encouragement on your previous posts asking about your MCAT sub scores. Apply to those schools next year for a better chance of getting where you want to be

• Love
But what about 2023-2024?
If you were too focused on school to take time for those during these 2 years then you will have a better chance of admission by spending the next year improving your overall application and apply in 2025-2026
See, my upper division classes have rigorous lab demands. I was taking 2 5 hours labs each week for 9 straight months. The few opportunities I could spare for clinical shifts, I took. Then, as mentioned in another post, I was wrongfully dismissed. I have been looking for clinical opps, but applications get sent in July, it's practically May now, so I don't know if 100 hours obtained in 2 months will look good.

The irony is that for my lower division years, I siply had no opportunities. For the upper divisiion years, I simply had no time to act on those opportunities.

But. BUT. I figured my application would tell a story. There're many, MANY things I did during the pandemic. The time I couldn't contribute directly to the clinic was spent fostering leadership hours. I have over 500 hours spread across unique organizations that I started. Even if I couldn't volunteer, I opened the gates for OTHER students to be able to. I assumed that would help me case. That's why I was never worried. But I was sorely mistaken. I guess simply because one applicant has a 2 instead of a 1 in front of the 00s, I'm just not cut out for it.

If I apply, I could get rejected, and re-applicants have lower chances right? What a stupid system...

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Care
  • Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can tell a story with your application and show your passion in ways other than strictly clinical, I'd say you have an equal or better shot than some people who have tons of hours but no story; it is easy to see if someone just checked boxes because "they have to do it to get in." Find a longitudinal clinical opportunity and get involved, put down your current and expected hours, and talk about it if you get interviews.

If you can tell a story with your application and show your passion in ways other than strictly clinical, I'd say you have an equal or better shot than some people who have tons of hours but no story; it is easy to see if someone just checked boxes because "they have to do it to get in." Find a longitudinal clinical opportunity and get involved, put down your current and expected hours, and talk about it if you get interviews.
Will do. I'm not going to wait another year. It's ridiculous. $200,000 in lost income?? Absolutely not.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
See, my upper division classes have rigorous lab demands. I was taking 2 5 hours labs each week for 9 straight months. The few opportunities I could spare for clinical shifts, I took. Then, as mentioned in another post, I was wrongfully dismissed. I have been looking for clinical opps, but applications get sent in July, it's practically May now, so I don't know if 100 hours obtained in 2 months will look good.

The irony is that for my lower division years, I siply had no opportunities. For the upper divisiion years, I simply had no time to act on those opportunities. Guess god wants me to fail.

But. BUT. I figured my application would tell a story. There're many, MANY things I did during the pandemic. The time I couldn't contribute directly to the clinic was spent fostering leadership hours. I have over 500 hours spread across unique organizations that I started. Even if I couldn't volunteer, I opened the gates for OTHER students to be able to. I assumed that would help me case. That's why I was never worried. But I was sorely mistaken. I guess simply because one applicant has a 2 instead of a 1 in front of the 00s, I'm just not cut out for it.

If I apply, I could get rejected, and re-applicants have lower chances right? What a stupid system...
If you feel your application is good enough, apply. If you feel it isn't, take a year to make a better application and apply then. You should aim to apply once with the best application you can.

The advice received in this forum is great, and free, but it isn't set in stone. Nobody here (or anywhere) can tell you exactly the answer of what every single ADCOM is looking for. Most ADCOM members here are giving you advice based on their schools and what they hear from colleagues at other schools. There are certainly people who got accepted this cycle with 100-150 clinical hours (but is less common, and usually from applicants with other "X factors" so to speak).

Interviewing with the "sky is falling" reactions you've had here is certain to get you denied. Relax, take a deep breath. There will be many more times through the cycle that you have no idea what's going on and you're just waiting and hoping that someone gives you a chance.

Continue working and improving your application for next year as though you are going to get denied and hope that it is wasted effort because you get an A this cycle. Pretty much every applicant should do this regardless of how good their app is. Even if you start med school at 27, you'll survive. Plenty of us start later than that. You're barely above median age at this point.

Will do. I'm not going to wait another year. It's ridiculous. $200,000 in lost income?? Absolutely not.
The culmination of pre-med, MCAT, and applying is brutal. I feel your pain. But when you write essays and get interviews, stand on business and be confident in yourself. Using the excuse of being too busy to do other things is a huge red flag for someone who, if accepted, will have to navigate being too busy to do things. Everybody applying has had struggles with the same process- pick your strengths and passions and focus on them, don't draw attention to the weaker spots.

Keep your head high, remember you aren't alone in the agony of this process, and best of luck.

I don't want to wait an ENTIRE EXTRA YEAR just to fulfill a checkbox
I don't think providing clinical care/ gaining more hours is just checking a box, right? Isn't that the point of wanting to become a clinician ? Yeah covid kind of put a wrench in everyone's plan to gain clinical hours but there are plenty of students including me who got into medical school with appropriate clinical hours despite the pandemic.

The competition is tough but if you think your application is solid then shoot your shot, but also be aware of the risks involved. Good luck!

If you feel your application is good enough, apply. If you feel it isn't, take a year to make a better application and apply then. You should aim to apply once with the best application you can.

The advice received in this forum is great, and free, but it isn't set in stone. Nobody here (or anywhere) can tell you exactly the answer of what every single ADCOM is looking for. Most ADCOM members here are giving you advice based on their schools and what they hear from colleagues at other schools. There are certainly people who got accepted this cycle with 100-150 clinical hours.

Interviewing with the "sky is falling" reactions you've had here is certain to get you denied. Relax, take a deep breath. There will be many more times through the cycle that you have no idea what's going on and you're just waiting and hoping that someone gives you a chance.

Continue working and improving your application for next year as though you are going to get denied and hope that it is wasted effort because you get an A this cycle. Pretty much every applicant should do this regardless of how good their app is. Even if you start med school at 27, you'll survive. Plenty of us start later than that. You're barely above median age at this point.
You're right... My reactions were definitely hyperbolic. I apologize... But it is truly, truly frustrating knowing that my folks (who're elderly and keep telling me to get in before they pass) pressure me. I just have so many expectations. I feel like I'm at least expressing some of the unvented frustrations of many other pre-med applicants on here, who're sick of the perfectionism. Sick of the multitude of adversities they have to face.

You're right... My reactions were definitely hyperbolic. I apologize... But it is truly, truly frustrating knowing that my folks (who're elderly and keep telling me to get in before they pass) pressure me. I just have so many expectations. I feel like I'm at least expressing some of the unvented frustrations of many other pre-med applicants on here, who're sick of the perfectionism. Sick of the multitude of adversities they have to face.
I understand where you're coming from on the process. There were many, many times throughout the process that I was frustrated and annoyed because of how ridiculous it can seem.

I do think, though, that alot of premeds get in their head about the stats they see on here and reddit. There are some crazy stats out there, but those aren't the standard. You don't have to be an olympian with a perfect MCAT, perfect GPA, and thousands of hours. You just have to be the person that a med school thinks can become a good physician.

For whatever adversities we face in this process, in my mind it just makes us better able to understand our future patients when we treat them. I'm certain that I will be better able to understand them and their concerns having lived a more adversity filled life than if I lived the easiest life following a simple road, because my patients certainly won't be living that life either. I've always faced whatever stress or frustrations in this process with this mindset and it has made things much easier to handle.

I understand where you're coming from on the process. There were many, many times throughout the process that I was frustrated and annoyed because of how ridiculous it can seem.

I do think, though, that alot of premeds get in their head about the stats they see on here and reddit. There are some crazy stats out there, but those aren't the standard. You don't have to be an olympian with a perfect MCAT, perfect GPA, and thousands of hours. You just have to be the person that a med school thinks can become a good physician.

For whatever adversities we face in this process, in my mind it just makes us better able to understand our future patients when we treat them. I'm certain that I will be better able to understand them and their concerns having lived a more adversity filled life than if I lived the easiest life following a simple road, because my patients certainly won't be living that life either. I've always faced whatever stress or frustrations in this process with this mindset and it has made things much easier to handle.
I love this mindset and mentality. At the end of the day, I only care about being a good physician, and the road that will get me there sooner is applying to medical schools sooner. Maybe it turns out I'm not competitive for some schools, but honestly I don't care. I'm going to sell the strengths I have, rather than buy out of my weaknesses. I know I'm capable. I know I have a shot. Thank you for those who gave me realistic advice. Thank you (more) for those who tell me to believe in myself despite that.

It may help you to understand why, from the perspective of an admissions committee, the clinical hours are important. You have clearly built a strong application, with a solid MCAT scores and excellent extracurriculars which show commitment to others and leadership. And you're right, you might have success applying now.

Clinical hours, however, are NOT just a box to tick. They are arguably the most important part of your application. When an admissions committee makes decisions about an applicant and an incoming class, part of their job is to figure out if each applicant knows what they are getting themselves into. Lots of applicants apply for med school because it is their childhood dream, or their parents want them to, or they are interested in the income. A surprising number of applicants don't know what the actual practice of medicine looks like and come into it with rose-colored glasses. These applicants often do really well in didactics and then get into clerkships and realize that they don't like practicing medicine at all (because it's not glamorous, it's gross, patients are rude/demanding/smelly, hospital bureaucracy is frustrating, documentation is 90% of the job - name your reason). I know an MS3 who is in exactly that position: they absolutely nailed the first two years of med school and now, standing at the precipice of having to choose what specialty they want to apply into, they have realized that they really don't want to be a clinician (and they're sitting on $200.000+ worth of student debt). Someone who worked for a year as an MA/CNA/EMT has a LOT more insight into the realities of medicine than someone who doesn't have those hours. It's easier for an admissions committee to believe that a candidate is well-suited for medicine when they have actually worked in a clinical setting for a significant amount of time. And it IS an admissions committee's job to choose applicants who they believe will not only finish successfully but actually be happy in their careers.

I understand that it is frustrating, and COVID messed a lot of things up. I will say that the grace period that COVID offered to applicants has expired, and an admissions committee member from my school said to me not too long ago that they are tired of applicants using COVID as an excuse for lack of hours, so I would be exceptionally cautious about leaning on it too much in your application.

I also would point out that 27-year-olds turn out to be better medical students than 25-year-olds. You may be surprised to hear this, but maturity is a HUGE advantage in med school, and those who are right out of college tend not to do as well, especially in clerkships.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it might actually genuinely benefit you to get your MA or CNA and work for a year before you apply. Not only will this help you build a better application (both in terms of hours and - super importantly - crafting more insightful essays and interview responses), but it will also help you build workplace skills that will help you tremendously during your clerkships (when you will be evaluated - sometimes harshly - at every moment of the day).

Apply now if that is what feels good to you, but do understand that it's not just OK but even preferable to wait a couple of years after college. It will actually make you a more compelling candidate and help you in med school.

Good luck either way!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
27 is the average age of matriculation for the medical school closest to me.

Getting into medical school isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Take the time to get substantial experiences that will help you be a better doctor. Robust clinical experience is part of that.

At least where I am, there was an increased need for folks to work in clinics, but it wasn't in glamorous roles and it did require skills. The need for EMTs (even EMS certified folks), CNAs, MAs, and techs was significant as all of our healthcare systems were strained to the brink. Many of my students logged more clinical hours during this time than was usually possible, most of them in their home states. I realize this wasn't possible for everyone, but realize that this wasn't a universal issue: many people got hundreds of hours doing backbreaking, high risk clinical work.

$200,000 in lost income?? Absolutely not.

I'll also add that I don't see a lot of merit in this argument. It assumes a lot about the length of your career. Given that medicine isn't often a profession where people retire as early as they possibly can.... rushing to get into medical school because you want to make more money a year sooner doesn't seem like a compelling reason to me. By that logic, going into medicine at all is a waste, because you could have gone into a career where you'd be earning $$ straight out of college and the entire medical school + residency process is going to be a massive hole of "lost income".

At the end of the day, I only care about being a good physician, and the road that will get me there sooner is applying to medical schools sooner.
This seems a bit at odds with the above statement. Robust clinical experience will help you be a better physician. If your goal is to be a good physician, then take the time to get the experience that will let you do that rather than focusing on lost $ and being older.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I get that it seems like the end of the world to have to push off a cycle, but dude. I'm gonna probably be 31 with a spouse when I matriculate. It's not like you're turning 50, chill out and take life as it comes.

You'd be a very very lucky applicant to get in with 80 clinical hours. Get an EMT cert and work for a year, you're still starting a medical career as a licensed professional that way. Sure, the money may not be amazing, but you will learn so much and it will help you decide if medicine is truly your calling or not.

Reactions: 4 users
I have about 105 clinical hours total. Is that enough?
No. And honestly, my student interviewers would eat you alive if you apply to my school with this many clinical hours

You're in a marathon now, not a sprint. Take the time you need to get your experiences and then apply when your app is ready.

Last edited:
  • Love
But it just doesn't seem fair. There were many things I did during the pandemic to advance patient healthcare. I worked for 100 hours working on virtual volunteering events for students to call and write letters to patients in long term care in hospitals. I opened up chapters of my organization that allowed students to get clinical hours in other states, evne if I could not directly participate. Even if my resume doesn't show direct clinical experience, there is a story that shows my commitment to healthcare. Will this be taken into account? I don't want to wait an ENTIRE EXTRA YEAR just to fulfill a checkbox.
Life's not fair.

Admissions committee is not looking for stories, they're looking for evidence that you know what you're getting into, and that you are willing to spend the next 30 to 40 Years Around patients.

I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, but you're going to need to work on your maturity as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
You do realize the vast majority of the other applicants will have clinical experiences way more than you do.
The pandemic dates you listed were 4 years ago. What have you done clinically since 2022?
Are you aware that each year only around 40% of all applicants are accepted to any med school? And of that number about half are accepted to one school. That means that around 60% of all applicants are out right rejected. This includes applicants with stellar applications. You don’t want to be a reapplicant if you can help it. You want the reviewers to read your application and think we need to interview this person. You want your application to scream “PICK ME”. And I doubt if any reviewer will even look at your age.
This is such an easy fix. Do it before you apply.
Good luck.

• Love
100 clinical hours would be the bottom percentile of applicants I see at my unranked school. 200 is the bare minimum I would consider to interview, the bulk of applicants have 400+, and some have clinical hours reaching into the thousands.

As others have pointed out, clinical hours is about more than showing your commitment to medicine. It is also useful to YOU to spend enough time seeing the work that physicians do across multiple care settings and specialties to be confident that you want to make an enormous investment of your money, time, and mental health into this process, and to help you gain experience with the healthcare system so that when you're thrown into clinical rotations, you have a sense of the roles of the various health professionals and how the health system works. Your healthcare-adjacent but non-clinical experiences are important and useful to you (and your application), but are not sufficient to show that you understand - and can commit to - the day to day work of a physician.

If you apply without accumulating at least a couple hundred more clinical hours, you are putting yourself at risk of 1) not getting in at all, and 2) not getting into schools that may be preferable or a better fit for you based on location, cost, training opportunities, etc. I have recommended rejection for many applicants with more clinical experience and more service/advocacy experience than you have, and I cannot recall an applicant I recommended for interview with as little clinical experience as you have regardless of the remainder of their application. Please understand that it is increasingly difficult to get into med school straight from undergrad for the reasons you listed - I would say that at least anecdotally, most medical students these days have taken at least one gap year. Looking back now as an attending physician, I wish I had, to get more experience out in the world. You are also putting yourself at risk of investing hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of your life into a career you have not yet had the opportunity to learn enough about.

Taking a gap year will only benefit you. Career-wise, there is zero harm to waiting a year to apply to medical school, regardless of your parents' opinions. And if you really care that much about their opinions, wouldn't they be much more disappointed if you applied before you were ready and got rejected?

• Love
You do realize the vast majority of the other applicants will have clinical experiences way more than you do.
The pandemic dates you listed were 4 years ago. What have you done clinically since 2022?
Are you aware that each year only around 40% of all applicants are accepted to any med school? And of that number about half are accepted to one school. That means that around 60% of all applicants are out right rejected. This includes applicants with stellar applications. You don’t want to be a reapplicant if you can help it. You want the reviewers to read your application and think we need to interview this person. You want your application to scream “PICK ME”. And I doubt if any reviewer will even look at your age.
This is such an easy fix. Do it before you apply.
Good luck.
What have I done clinically since 2022? I got accepted to my clinic in November of 2022, and ran 2-3 shifts a month for about a year, each one lasting 12 hours (with time off during high intensity finals weeks/summer). Summer/Fall of 2023 I was studying for the MCAT full time, so I cut my clinical hours off drastically. The plan was to resume in early 2024 but then I was told I was being let go, totaling 80 hours over 1.5 years. There were no other clinical opportunities at the time. My school didn't offer an EMT cert and it conflicted with my summer classes. During the 2022-2023 academic year, I was engaged in a rigorous lab course and barely had time to even go to the clinic at all. Now I'm a part time student and I haven't heard back from several clinics I've applied to since January, so I focused more on my leadership hours. The clinic was an hour drive away and an hour drive back. Other students managed to enroll in the EMT course at my school which literally just reopened this past January (it conflicted with my courses needed to graduate).

It's not like I haven't been in a hospital setting at all. I've devoted 50 hours to clinical research, but since I was just the recruitment, apparently that never counted for anything more than shadowing. The rest of my time was spent at my home institution getting research hours in/leadership hours in. There just aren't clinics nearby that are accessible/accepting volunteers.

Also it's not like by the time I get into medical school I won't have clinical hours. I don't want to be an EMT or CNA precisely because I feel pressured into it as a cookie-cutter experience. I do not mean in any way to undermine the experiences that some people have on those jobs, but I can't tell you how many pre-meds I've known who've clocked in 100+ hours doing it and can't tell me more than a few anecdotes about it. I'd rather do something I'm passionate about, so I'm applying for jobs as a rehabilitation technician because it's something that's more meaningful to me. Is this a good idea? Or am I truly, truly forced to go into being an EMT or certified nursing assistant? Being a rehab tech would mean I get to focus on the elements of healthcare that matter most to me - helping those recover from traumatic injuries or assisting the elderly with regaining lost strength.

Being a rehab tech would mean I get to focus on the elements of healthcare that matter most to me - helping those recover from traumatic injuries or assisting the elderly with regaining lost strength.
I promise I am not trying to be dismissive, but have you ever considered being a physical therapist? I recently endured a traumatic injury (multiple fractures/dislocations) and all the doctors & surgeons did was make sure I was intact and stable before sending me to see a PT. My PT is the one who truly helped me recover my functionality & strength following the injury. These sorts of things aren’t typically within the scope of what a physician does.

I promise I’m not trying to be dismissive, just when I read this that was the first thing that popped into my mind

I promise I am not trying to be dismissive, but have you ever considered being a physical therapist? I recently endured a traumatic injury (multiple fractures/dislocations) and all the doctors & surgeons did was make sure I was intact and stable before sending me to see a PT. My PT is the one who truly helped me recover my functionality & strength following the injury. These sorts of things aren’t typically within the scope of what a physician does.

I promise I’m not trying to be dismissive, just when I read this that was the first thing that popped into my mind
No, I don't want to be a PT. Is being a PT valid clinical experience for a gap year? Or is it better to be an EMT

What have I done clinically since 2022? I got accepted to my clinic in November of 2022, and ran 2-3 shifts a month for about a year, each one lasting 12 hours (with time off during high intensity finals weeks/summer). Summer/Fall of 2023 I was studying for the MCAT full time, so I cut my clinical hours off drastically. The plan was to resume in early 2024 but then I was told I was being let go, totaling 80 hours over 1.5 years. There were no other clinical opportunities at the time. My school didn't offer an EMT cert and it conflicted with my summer classes. During the 2022-2023 academic year, I was engaged in a rigorous lab course and barely had time to even go to the clinic at all. Now I'm a part time student and I haven't heard back from several clinics I've applied to since January, so I focused more on my leadership hours. The clinic was an hour drive away and an hour drive back. Other students managed to enroll in the EMT course at my school which literally just reopened this past January (it conflicted with my courses needed to graduate).

It's not like I haven't been in a hospital setting at all. I've devoted 50 hours to clinical research, but since I was just the recruitment, apparently that never counted for anything more than shadowing. The rest of my time was spent at my home institution getting research hours in/leadership hours in. There just aren't clinics nearby that are accessible/accepting volunteers.

Also it's not like by the time I get into medical school I won't have clinical hours. I don't want to be an EMT or CNA precisely because I feel pressured into it as a cookie-cutter experience. I do not mean in any way to undermine the experiences that some people have on those jobs, but I can't tell you how many pre-meds I've known who've clocked in 100+ hours doing it and can't tell me more than a few anecdotes about it. I'd rather do something I'm passionate about, so I'm applying for jobs as a rehabilitation technician because it's something that's more meaningful to me. Is this a good idea? Or am I truly, truly forced to go into being an EMT or certified nursing assistant? Being a rehab tech would mean I get to focus on the elements of healthcare that matter most to me - helping those recover from traumatic injuries or assisting the elderly with regaining lost strength.
The first paragraph is all the better reason to gain more clinical experience before applying. The explanation for the lack of clinical experience is irrelevant - regardless of the reason, there are still applicants with much stronger clinical experience, and therefore stronger applications, than you have, and you are likely to get rejected as a result.

EMT/CNA are fine for clinical experience. Rehab tech seems fine and certainly better than the limited amount you have currently, but will you have a chance to work with physicians at all or just PT/OT/ST folks? Other clinical opportunities would include free clinic volunteering, nursing home/hospice volunteering, hospital volunteering or working (handing out blankets in the ER or on the floor, child life volunteer, patient transport, phlebotomy....) medical assistant in the outpatient setting (which includes some skills like giving vaccines, potentially drawing blood, running labs, etc - many clinics are DESPERATE for MAs these days and this is a great chance for face time with a doctor), scribing, shadowing, etc.

Finally, what we are telling you is that you may not get into medical school at all if you don't have adequate clinical hours at the time of application.

• Love
The first paragraph is all the better reason to gain more clinical experience before applying. The explanation for the lack of clinical experience is irrelevant - regardless of the reason, there are still applicants with much stronger clinical experience, and therefore stronger applications, than you have, and you are likely to get rejected as a result.

EMT/CNA are fine for clinical experience. Rehab tech seems fine and certainly better than the limited amount you have currently, but will you have a chance to work with physicians at all or just PT/OT/ST folks? Other clinical opportunities would include free clinic volunteering, nursing home/hospice volunteering, hospital volunteering or working (handing out blankets in the ER or on the floor, child life volunteer, patient transport, phlebotomy....) medical assistant in the outpatient setting (which includes some skills like giving vaccines, potentially drawing blood, running labs, etc - many clinics are DESPERATE for MAs these days and this is a great chance for face time with a doctor), scribing, shadowing, etc.

Finally, what we are telling you is that you may not get into medical school at all if you don't have adequate clinical hours at the time of application.
At the jobs I'm looking at, I'd be in near constant communication with an orthopedic surgeon. The doctor will almost always be present. I also performed phlebotomy work at the clinic I worked at, so I have experience drawing blood and giving vaccines (in fact one of the stories I planned to tell in an interview is how I could get a hard stick nobody else could get at the clinic). I figure I could do phlebotomy on the side. The problem with that is typically that lab technicians don't often see patients... What made my clinic so special was that it was in a low income area, and I had plentiful opportunities to help patients who were distrustful of doctors feel much safer. I imagine that working in a typical phlebotomy job, I may get patients who're just old, pretty normal-healthwise, and don't want to talk.

The problem with most free clinic volunteering is that many want some sort of certification. They want MDs, Nursing assistants. A couple want phlebotomists, sure, but they're far and few between.

No, I don't want to be a PT. Is being a PT valid clinical experience for a gap year? Or is it better to be an EMT
PT (physical therapy) is physical therapy, which is of course a whole separate career field requiring a graduate degree, and they do exactly the things you mentioned enjoying.
At the jobs I'm looking at, I'd be in near constant communication with an orthopedic surgeon. The doctor will almost always be present. I also performed phlebotomy work at the clinic I worked at, so I have experience drawing blood and giving vaccines (in fact one of the stories I planned to tell in an interview is how I could get a hard stick nobody else could get at the clinic). I figure I could do phlebotomy on the side. The problem with that is typically that lab technicians don't often see patients... What made my clinic so special was that it was in a low income area, and I had plentiful opportunities to help patients who were distrustful of doctors feel much safer. I imagine that working in a typical phlebotomy job, I may get patients who're just old, pretty normal-healthwise, and don't want to talk.

The problem with most free clinic volunteering is that many want some sort of certification. They want MDs, Nursing assistants. A couple want phlebotomists, sure, but they're far and few between.
This seems reasonable. I'm not suggesting you be a lab tech, but there is certainly a phlebotomy shortage at many hospitals these days which would get you direct patient contact. I have yet to come across a free clinic myself that does not have volunteering opportunities geared towards students with no certifications, and most have offered on the job training for the types of things you will be doing. In my undergrad years I volunteered at free clinics helping with office tasks, doing point of care HIV testing and counseling, checking blood pressures and blood sugars, and helping with patient intake/data entry for a syringe exchange program. Perhaps that has changed over the years but I think it's worth a call to see if they have any opportunities if you do have a local free clinic and haven't already done so.

Also, when you are practicing medicine, many of your patients will be old, pretty normal healthwise, and don't want to talk lol.

• Love
PT (physical therapy) is physical therapy, which is of course a whole separate career field requiring a graduate degree, and they do exactly the things you mentioned enjoying.
Stop trying to dissuade me from medicine. No, I do NOT want to become a PT.
This seems reasonable. I'm not suggesting you be a lab tech, but there is certainly a phlebotomy shortage at many hospitals these days which would get you direct patient contact. I have yet to come across a free clinic myself that does not have volunteering opportunities geared towards students with no certifications, and most have offered on the job training for the types of things you will be doing. In my undergrad years I volunteered at free clinics helping with office tasks, doing point of care HIV testing and counseling, checking blood pressures and blood sugars, and helping with patient intake/data entry for a syringe exchange program. Perhaps that has changed over the years but I think it's worth a call to see if they have any opportunities if you do have a local free clinic and haven't already done so.
I called 7 clinics in the Chicagoland area. None are currently accepting volunteers without credentials. Soon to change, but fact stands.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
I'm saying this in the kindest possible way, but this thread, to me, demonstrates that you don't have the baseline knowledge about the field to be a successful applicant. Even if you get IIs, you will get skewered during the interview.

I'm a fellow premed like yourself, but I've spent hundreds of hours volunteering in several departments of a hospital and multiple outpatient clinics. I will be spending my upcoming application year as an EMT. This broad experience has really helped me narrow down my interests and confirm that being a medical doctor is what I am meant to do.

I read your stories about why you haven't gotten much clinical experience since 2022, but frankly, nobody cares, especially not adcoms who have to quickly file through a pile of thousands of applications. Having very few clinical hours is an easy filter. I worked full time in a tech leadership position and volunteered 12 hours a week while studying for my MCAT for less than 4 months without even having finished my prereqs and still got a decent score for low-mid tier MD. Nobody will care that you were studying really hard. Swallow your pride and go be a CNA/EMT/MA/whatever other low level position you can get and rack up as many hours as possible.

Being passionate about rehab but not even knowing that PTs require doctoral degrees and asking if you could do a gap year as one is kinda bonkers. A MME being getting a hard stick is similarly bonkers unless there's a lot more missing context. I wish you well, but blatantly disregarding everything that these very experienced admissions people are telling you isn't going to be a winning strategy. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.