Panic before starting resideny.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennashell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to FM this year and like many here, I have become neurotic to a point that I keep reading random posts here about getting fired/non renewed contracts/termination and what not. I dont even know why I specifically search these posts and keep reading them but I might as well know the different scenarios. Deep down I have this fear that for some weird reason I might make a mistake and end up like this. I do want to make sure everything goes well during my training and I hope to graduate without scratch.

I have performed above average in all my clinical rotations and had great feedback as well. Some major glitches that I had were my IM rotations where I had two girls in my group who wouldn't do any work and it did not end well in terms of friendship. As far as rotations, I have done well with my peers and had good time getting along with everyone. When I read these posts, I just get paranoid.

If any residents have any useful advice on how do well in residency please post. I would really appreciate any advice you may have both academical and non academical. For what its worth, I really hope I do not come here to post another panic thread. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I applied to FM this year and like many here, I have become neurotic to a point that I keep reading random posts here about getting fired/non renewed contracts/termination and what not. I dont even know why I specifically search these posts and keep reading them but I might as well know the different scenarios. Deep down I have this fear that for some weird reason I might make a mistake and end up like this. I do want to make sure everything goes well during my training and I hope to graduate without scratch.

I have performed above average in all my clinical rotations and had great feedback as well. Some major glitches that I had were my IM rotations where I had two girls in my group who wouldn't do any work and it did not end well in terms of friendship. As far as rotations, I have done well with my peers and had good time getting along with everyone. When I read these posts, I just get paranoid.

If any residents have any useful advice on how do well in residency please post. I would really appreciate any advice you may have both academical and non academical. For what its worth, I really hope I do not come here to post another panic thread. Thank you.

You will almost certainly be fine. I felt this was too. If you dont lie, are reliable, aren't socially awkward you are almost certain to finish. I felt like you did prior to starting (to a lesser degree) firing a resident or not renewing is generally detrimental to the program and a headache for the program. Im sure that there are people who get screwed at malignant programs but they are a tiny group. If anything more residents continue that are "questionable."

Reactions: 1 user
It is natural to be anxious about starting residency but it is a little concerning that you are already thinking and worrying about being dismissed from a program that you have not even matched out yet.

It makes me wonder if you are just an anxiety riddled person or if there is more deeper. Is this a common theme in your life?

It is natural to be anxious about starting residency but it is a little concerning that you are already thinking and worrying about being dismissed from a program that you have not even matched out yet.

It makes me wonder if you are just an anxiety riddled person or if there is more deeper. Is this a common theme in your life?
I think this is unfair.

This is natural doubt the OP is experiencing, made worse by the random "OMG I GOT FIRED AND CAN'T PAY BACK MY $750,000 IN LOANS" threads.

OP you will be fine. Work hard. Be truthful. Be genuine.

Reactions: 3 users
I do read a lot of posts here when I get time. Although I have never experienced any difficulties in my studies or clinical rotations , I figured Its best to seek advice before you go ahead. Sometimes people here post about completely being blindsided by non renewal of contracts or how they never ever anticipated the new twist of events. So who is to be blamed here? I wouldn't label so quickly as you did but you could say that I evaluate a lot.

I just asked if you get anxious often. I did not label you with GAD, etc.

Just wondering why you are worried about getting kicked out of residency before you even start. And then all the MATCH posts I have read too. Just an observation. Ignore it

OP , I feel your pain. In fact, my New Year's resolution was to quit reading those "help, I got fired b/c PD didn't like my socks" threads.

Have you tried any mindfulness principles? For example, when you catch yourself getting caught up in thoughts about getting fired, stop and remind yourself, "I'm just having THOUGHTS. These thoughts in no way represent reality." I've been trying to do this with varying degrees of success;-) also, if you talk to people in real life, most are shocked at the idea of residents getting fired and have heard of few or none, most of which are extreme circumstances like poorly-controlled mental illness, etc.

OP , I feel your pain. In fact, my New Year's resolution was to quit reading those "help, I got fired b/c PD didn't like my socks" threads.

Have you tried any mindfulness principles? For example, when you catch yourself getting caught up in thoughts about getting fired, stop and remind yourself, "I'm just having THOUGHTS. These thoughts in no way represent reality." I've been trying to do this with varying degrees of success;-) also, if you talk to people in real life, most are shocked at the idea of residents getting fired and have heard of few or none, most of which are extreme circumstances like poorly-controlled mental illness, etc.

Thank you for the very thoughtful post. I really appreciate it. I guess I often forget that these forums are where all these odd stories gather up and they are infact isolated events.

I personally was not anxious about starting intern year. I was anxious about starting my advanced specialty, especially when I'd heard a resident a year ahead of me got fired 2-3 months in.

I'm in full panic mode

I've got like 12 games left in my PS4 backlog to complete before residency and one of them is Bloodborne. It's gonna be hard to platinum trophy all this before July.

But we have to carry on OP!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
My school recently sent out a survey to see if there are topics we'd like to discuss during our "intern boot camp" month. I suggested this one. Resident-firing is downplayed as "almost impossible" and "very unlikely" in real life, but looks like a veritable and dangerous epidemic on the internet. If there's a discussion, I'll let you know what they say.

My school recently sent out a survey to see if there are topics we'd like to discuss during our "intern boot camp" month. I suggested this one. Resident-firing is downplayed as "almost impossible" and "very unlikely" in real life, but looks like a veritable and dangerous epidemic on the internet. If there's a discussion, I'll let you know what they say.
It's the "squeaky wheel" phenomenon. For every post you see on here, there are literally hundreds of others who had no issues, but thus have nothing traumatic to post. Sort of like watching the evening news and coming away with the impression that everybody out there must be a murderer.

Being dismissed from residency is certainly theoretically possible, and we all "know a guy", but if you do your work, behave professionally and keep your head down, you'll likely get through it fine.

Reactions: 1 users
It's the "squeaky wheel" phenomenon. For every post you see on here, there are literally hundreds of others who had no issues, but thus have nothing traumatic to post. Sort of like watching the evening news and coming away with the impression that everybody out there must be a murderer.

Being dismissed from residency is certainly theoretically possible, and we all "know a guy", but if you do your work, behave professionally and keep your head down, you'll likely get through it fine.
This.

OP, the vast majority of residents make it through their training with no major issues. Contrary to what it may seem like sometimes after reading SDN, the nation's teaching hospitals are not full of vindictive PDs who have made it their life's mission to ruin the lives of innocent residents. Keep in mind too that when you read these stories on SDN, you are only hearing one side of what happened. And sometimes the residents who post here show a lack of insight and introspection that is kind of astounding. :eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 users
This.

OP, the vast majority of residents make it through their training with no major issues. Contrary to what it may seem like sometimes after reading SDN, the nation's teaching hospitals are not full of vindictive PDs who have made it their life's mission to ruin the lives of innocent residents. Keep in mind too that when you read these stories on SDN, you are only hearing one side of what happened. And sometimes the residents who post here show a lack of insight and introspection that is kind of astounding. :eyebrow:
Aye!

You don't get fired for petty ****. You have to really F something up. You're much more valuable to the hospital than to just up and "get fired." As Q said, people need to look inside to see why these things occur.

I'm still traumatized from getting an email early in my intern year announcing that one of my co-interns was being placed on administrative leave. It's scary enough to read about on SDN but super scary when it's happening to people around you. In retrospect, though, no one got fired from my program who didn't have pretty big issues going on. Still scary, though. The downside, too, is that programs can't share their reasons why someone is being placed on leave or not getting their contracts renewed, so you only hear one side of the story.

In retrospect, though, no one got fired from my program who didn't have pretty big issues going on.

We had an intern who failed one of the rotations, so there was some shuffling in the schedule to allow them to make up for it. They're doing fine now, as far as I know (at least, there has been no administrative leave). We've had a senior resident placed on an indefinite leave of absence, but none of us were terribly surprised when it happened. It was unexpected, just not surprising. Said resident had been pretty miserable throughout all of residency. So I agree that the people that mess up mess up pretty spectacularly.

You will almost certainly be fine. I felt this was too. If you dont lie, are reliable, aren't socially awkward you are almost certain to finish. I felt like you did prior to starting (to a lesser degree) firing a resident or not renewing is generally detrimental to the program and a headache for the program. Im sure that there are people who get screwed at malignant programs but they are a tiny group. If anything more residents continue that are "questionable."

What exactly do you mean by socially awkward???

If you have to ask at this point, you might want to look in a mirror.

I'm asking because people have different meaning to it. Either u act weird in front of people, or you're socially phobic

What exactly do you mean by socially awkward???

If you are awkward in social situations, read people's emotions poorly, etc. 1st impressions can be important and if you pi** off attendings, nurses, seniors early on it can get you in trouble for the whole year. Again, getting fired is usually very rare and often deserved but if nobody likes you, then little mistakes can be magnified. You want to get along with everyone (not always possible but early in training is NOT the time to have an ego, pick fights, be cocky, etc). If you are a prelim you keep your head down and get through. You can be fairly quiet but there is allt of "bonding" that goes on when working in teams, so it's best to be sociable. I hated IM but miss working in teams.

My exit interview with my PD for prelim year he essentially said "well I never heard any complaints and you never had issues, scheduling problems, etc. I don't think I ever had to email or talk to you about anything all year."
IMO that should be your goal for intern year (if you are prelim).

I do read a lot of posts here when I get time. Although I have never experienced any difficulties in my studies or clinical rotations , I figured Its best to seek advice before you go ahead. Sometimes people here post about completely being blindsided by non renewal of contracts or how they never ever anticipated the new twist of events. So who is to be blamed here? I wouldn't label so quickly as you did but you could say that I evaluate a lot.

The " I got completely blindsided....." thing is a symptoms of the larger reasons why they got fired.

Resident's get fired for two reasons, both of which are generally easy to avoid, and truly.....rare

1. Complete unprofessional, unethical behavior. Lying, drug abuse, putting patient safety at risk

2. Being so completely incompetent that you can no be trusted to become an independent functioning physician.

Neither of these should "come out of the blue" if you were even remotely paying attention or aware of your surrondings