Gap year before advanced position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rads23

Reaction score
I am a current TY resident, I went unmatched in radiology last year but matched into an advanced radiology position this year which will start July 2024, leaving me with a gap year. I'm unsure of what opportunities would be available for me following my 1 year of TY training. My main goal is to just make some decent money and enjoy the year before getting into the full radiology grind.

I have seen urgent care moonlighting suggested but all of the jobs I see online require board certification etc., so I'm a bit lost. I would appreciate any advice on where exactly I could find opportunities or if simply calling urgent cares and explaining my situation would be the best option. I would think I'm more qualified than any new grad PA or NP so considering maybe applying to jobs targeted to them as well. I've heard consulting thrown around as well but again have no idea where I would look for a job in that field either. A paid research fellowship with some relation to radiology would be nice as well but again any pointers on where to look would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current TY resident, I went unmatched in radiology last year but matched into an advanced radiology position this year which will start July 2024, leaving me with a gap year. I'm unsure of what opportunities would be available for me following my 1 year of TY training. My main goal is to just make some decent money and enjoy the year before getting into the full radiology grind.

I have seen urgent care moonlighting suggested but all of the jobs I see online require board certification etc., so I'm a bit lost. I would appreciate any advice on where exactly I could find opportunities or if simply calling urgent cares and explaining my situation would be the best option. I would think I'm more qualified than any new grad PA or NP so considering maybe applying to jobs targeted to them as well. I've heard consulting thrown around as well but again have no idea where I would look for a job in that field either. A paid research fellowship with some relation to radiology would be nice as well but again any pointers on where to look would be much appreciated!

If you are able to get an unrestricted license, you can look into do health screenings for companies like Signify Health. I did some stuff with them inbetween jobs in the past and they paid $100/visit, up to 9 visits a day. It's mind numbing work, but it's a paycheck and you can have flexibility with scheduling.

Reactions: 2 users
I did similar as Thoracic Guy one day a week for awhile while I was a resident for a company called Censeo. Agreed mind numbing work which does not actually benefit the patient IMHO and I had to go drive to people’s houses and sometimes that situation was sketchy. But the companies exploit a loophole for yearly Medicare physicals. But I got paid same $100/visit plus reimbursed for gas/mileage and that was in like 2015-2016.

I do not recommend the company Censeo because they treated me like **** and the recruiter harassed me wanting me to work more than one day a week despite me explaining I was a resident and I had a full-time job and had been told that doing 3-4 days a month was totally fine when I signed up. But there are other companies.

You might also look into one of the wound care jobs where they will train you (again need a license for this) and just not mention you plan to leave in a year.

Reactions: 1 user
I did similar as Thoracic Guy one day a week for awhile while I was a resident for a company called Censeo. Agreed mind numbing work which does not actually benefit the patient IMHO and I had to go drive to people’s houses and sometimes that situation was sketchy. But the companies exploit a loophole for yearly Medicare physicals. But I got paid same $100/visit plus reimbursed for gas/mileage and that was in like 2015-2016.

I do not recommend the company Censeo because they treated me like **** and the recruiter harassed me wanting me to work more than one day a week despite me explaining I was a resident and I had a full-time job and had been told that doing 3-4 days a month was totally fine when I signed up. But there are other companies.

You might also look into one of the wound care jobs where they will train you (again need a license for this) and just not mention you plan to leave in a year.

Those are the same companies. I never had any issues, though I did do it 5 days a week for a little while... Plus I was able to save and contribute to a solo401k. Just have to set some aside and pay estimated taxes with a 1099 job.

Reactions: 1 users
Those are the same companies. I never had any issues, though I did do it 5 days a week for a little while... Plus I was able to save and contribute to a solo401k. Just have to set some aside and pay estimated taxes with a 1099 job.

Thank you both! Definitely am looking into this because it sounds like solid money and is somewhat flexible, I have reached out to them. Unfortunately, my state requires 2 years of PGY training for an unrestricted license so I'm applying to nearby states that only require 1. Also looking into doing social security disability exams which sounds somewhat similar.

Can you comment on the sketchiness of the doing the exams at peoples homes

Can you comment on the sketchiness of the doing the exams at peoples homes

Pretty much what you might think. A variety of levels of cleanliness and hygiene, and being far off the road, in the middle of nowhere, etc. I have a fairly high tolerance for that sort of thing, but there may be some people, especially women, who might not feel as comfortable. Just for the record, I am female.

Reactions: 1 user