Bearie

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,

I took your advice and took CK. I also scheduled CS last month at the first available date last month--Dec 27. But I just saw on a program's website they want results by Jan 24. CK should be okay, but I just saw this reporting schedule for CS on the official site:

September 8 - November 2 reports Dec 4 to Jan 1 (2014)

November 3 – December 31 reports Jan 29 (2014) to Feb 19.

It says 98-99% of scores are reported first weds in "period" which for Dec 27 is Jan 29.

So at this point I've been noticing cancellations the night before and just am ready to take on no notice. But suppose I take next Monday, my score still won't be reported until Jan 29? There are NO scores released between Jan 1 and Jan 29?!? Does even matter to run to take it next day on first cancellation? Do I email PDs? Do all programs make their lists in Jan? Am I seriously not going to match?

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!

hamstergang

may or may not contain hamsters
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
NJ
Status
Attending Physician
People can give answers based on their experience and general knowledge, but of course each program can do whatever they want. So why not contact the programs you applied to and ask (simple phone call would settle this in 1 minute per program)?

OP
B

Bearie

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I could def call or email the PD, but I don't really understand. There are NO score reports in Jan? Do the USMLE just take the month off? Also, as I read wording on website it doesn't matter when in "reporting period" I even take it? So do I just stick with Dec 27 or stay up every night waiting for cancellations and then somehow manage to get to center in the middle of the night in order to take in next week or two?

Update: after clicking refresh for weeks I got a date on Dec 2. But my questions remains. What happens in Jan?

Last edited:

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
As to what the USMLE does that month--probably the same thing that the NRMP is doing in March: sitting back and playing Spider Solitaire while we all panic--but "thems the rules...".

It would be perfectly kosher to let programs know that you took your CS on December x, and therefore expect your report soon after January 29, that you'll keep them updated, and that you're very interested in their program. Programs will get updated score reports, assuming you released them, and be able to confirm them. At least from this program's perspective, CS outstanding wouldn't affect where you're initially ranked--we'd basically assume pass until proven otherwise. But if the day comes to certify and it's still not there (or God forbid, you failed), you'd drop off the list entirely.

Nov 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hold on a second - according to the NRMP website, rank order list deadline is due Feb 26, so why are you worrying that your scores will be coming mid feb?? It is still before the ROL deadline so you should be fine if ure scores come out mid feb.

OP
B

Bearie

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hold on a second - according to the NRMP website, rank order list deadline is due Feb 26, so why are you worrying that your scores will be coming mid feb?? It is still before the ROL deadline so you should be fine if ure scores come out mid feb.
I'm worried because the program says exactly this on their website (Brown): "You do not need your Step 2 CS and CK on hand before being invited for an interview. You must have passed Step 2 CS and CK and have your scores submitted through ERAS by January 24th, prior to being ranked by our program."

USMLE.org says "Results for 98%-99% of examinees who take the exam during the testing period are reported by the third Wednesday in a Reporting Period." Dec 2 is within the Nov 3 to Dec 31 "Reporting Period," which I suppose there means there is a 98-99% chance (although history is written by fat tails...) that I will hear on Jan 29, Feb 5, or latest Feb 12. All are obviously later than the 24th....

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Haven't programs "noticed" there's currently just a Step 1 score on my USMLE transcript (CK should be back by Jan) and if they are concerned (i.e wouldn't rank me) would they tell me at some point?
2) Some programs (Sinai) specifically say on their website Step 2 is required only prior to matriculation. NYU's website lists separate requirements for US and IMGs and Step scores are only required for IMGs apparently. My school's PD specifically told me she doesn't care. So I'm not worried about the issue at these, but most other major NYC/Northeast programs (pretty obvious which ones) say absolutely nothing. Should I make it an "issue" by emailing McLean's PD and being like "Hey, btw, did you happen to notice I have lousy step 1 scores and no step 2 scores when you invited me to come interview? Had you just wanted me to come to chat the whole time?"
3) Do some programs just not care? Do we need CS to start residency? If we fail, can't we just reschedule in Feb?
4) I know Feb 26 is our deadline, but is that also the programs' deadline? Presumably they don't wait until the last day to decide? Some people say our rank is pretty much set after interview day? Others programs have committee that meet after interviews are done? I'm sure it varies, but generally when and how are their lists made, and at what point would the lack of Step 2 have become apparent?
5) OldPsychDoc--you mean programs don't rank everyone? I thought they would at least put me last? What percentage of interviewees do they rank? If a program has 6 applicants on a total of 8 interview days, they are interviewing 48 people for 8 spots, no? I assume they have to rank more than 8?!?

Last edited:

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
1) Yes, we "notice" and we will email you and say "Did you take it? When do you expect this score?"
2) If the program invited you in spite of "lousy step 1 scores and no step 2" then they obviously still considered you interviewable and wanted to meet you in person, to see if you matched your PS and LORs. Maybe they still think you're a good risk to pass. I don't know what you're considering "lousy", but if you passed on the first go, say with at least a 220, we'd expect you'll do ok on the next step and might take the risk if we liked you in other ways. But it really sucks for us to get told on April 1 "Well shoot, I guess I didn't do as well as I expected" and to not be able to matriculate you.
3) Yes, you need to pass these suckers to start.
4) We tend to rank the few people without step 2 "as though" they've passed. But if Feb 26 draws near, and you don't have it, and we think you're at risk, we'll either drop you to the end or not rank you at all. We dropped 2 otherwise good candidates last year for that reason.
5) That's right. Percentage depends on program. We like to not "waste" interview slots, and our philosophy would be that interviewing you means you're someone we would hope to rank--but there are still at least a couple every year who turn us off, or raise concerns for us once we've met them in person. Same as the advice that you shouldn't rank a program where you think you'll be miserable--we shouldn't rank an applicant who we think will be exceedingly difficult, or who is a risk of not making it through residency. And yes, we interview and rank more candidates than we have positions. Each program will be different, but most programs know very well how far down the list they had to go to fill last year and will rank well beyond that point if they can.