Paper folding (Half holes)!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickMSU

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the real DAT are there half holes made like in Achiever?? These are soo impossible!!! Topscore does not have any half holes...whats the deal????

If they are on the real thing, how do u account for them?

Members don't see this ad.

NickMSU said:
On the real DAT are there half holes made like in Achiever?? These are soo impossible!!! Topscore does not have any half holes...whats the deal????

On the FINAL unfolded paper, there WILL NEVER be any half-holes.

But........ there are ways to make a hole along a folding line, as some of the more complicated examples on the DATachiever, that SEEM like they make a half-hole, but infact once unfolded make a full hole.

For example, if you have two layers of paper when you make just one hole punch, you would expect to have two holes once you have unfolded the paper, but if the hole was created along a fold, then you would only have 1 hole in the end. So in the final answer there WILL NEVER be half-holes.

If you are having trouble with these, cut out a square piece of paper and follow exacly the folding in the DATachiever problem, then punch a hole and carefully examine what it unfolds into. There will be several of these more challanging question on the DAT.

good luck!

No there are not any half holes on the real thing. They are much easier and definitly doable in 5 to 7min. None of that insane achiever crap. Dont sweat it, i felt the same way you did after taking achiever PAT. Real one much easier.

Whats the deal here. One person says they are on the real thing and another says they are not?? I don't want to waste my time trying to figure out how to account for the half punches, if they are not on the real thing.

In the Kaplan book, it shows the only 4 possible 1st folds....but on Achiever there are these folds that are different, ie; diagonal fold that is not 1/4 of the square....

Members don't see this ad :)
NickMSU said:
Whats the deal here. One person says they are on the real thing and another says they are not?? I don't want to waste my time trying to figure out how to account for the half punches, if they are not on the real thing. In the Kaplan book, it shows the only 4 possible 1st folds....but on Achiever there are these folds that are different, ie; diagonal fold that is not 1/4 of the square....
In my personal experience with the DAT there were not any half holes or any insane folds like on the achiever.

NickMSU said:
Whats the deal here. One person says they are on the real thing and another says they are not?? I don't want to waste my time trying to figure out how to account for the half punches, if they are not on the real thing.

In the Kaplan book, it shows the only 4 possible 1st folds....but on Achiever there are these folds that are different, ie; diagonal fold that is not 1/4 of the square....

spending the time understanding the more complicated question will only help you with your special reasoning.

also, there are many different versions of the DAT exam. some might have these others might not.

r we allowed to use an actual paper and use pencil or pen for hole punching?? ;) ...seriously...i m really g8 at it!!

NickMSU said:

Half holes? What in the world are you talking about?!??! I never used DAT achiever and there was no such thing on the real deal. Sure, it may be good practice, but I wouldn't recommend worrying about it. I got a 24 on the PAT without even knowing they existed.

hopelessdoc said:
r we allowed to use an actual paper and use pencil or pen for hole punching?? ;) ...seriously...i m really g8 at it!!

Yeah, you're allowed to use paper (which they provide in the form of a semi-booklet) and pencils that they provide as well.

It's better to think these problems out in your head, though, instead of trying to figure out each problem by folding and punching holes in a paper. You have to return your used paper (with no pages missing) once you're done with the test anyway, so you don't want to have it in segments. At least I didn't.

Just practice.

hopelessdoc said:

Yeah, you're allowed to use paper (which they provide in the form of a semi-booklet) and pencils that they provide as well.

It's better to think these problems out in your head, though, instead of trying to figure out each problem by folding and punching holes in a paper. You have to return your used paper (with no pages missing) once you're done with the test anyway, so you don't want to have it in segments. At least I didn't.

Just practice.