Papillary muscle blood supply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatdidigetinto

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea which papillary muscles are supplied but what coronary arteries and their branches? I spent an hour searching and i couldn't find any consensus among any of the sources that i found. I couldn't even find a picture with all the papillary muscles labeled...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have an idea which papillary muscles are supplied but what coronary arteries and their branches? I spent an hour searching and i couldn't find any consensus among any of the sources that i found. I couldn't even find a picture with all the papillary muscles labeled...

page 253 of FA 2013 says LAD supplies anterior papillaries? does this help?

(Posterior ones at least by) RCA according to Pathoma. :boom:

it makes sense... papillary muscles are simply extensions of the endocardial tissue (within the venticles.... so once that are more anterior would be supplied by the LAD, while once attached to the posterior wall would be supplied by the RCA (in a right dominant vascularity i.e. 80% of us)...

Members don't see this ad :)
it makes sense... papillary muscles are simply extensions of the endocardial tissue (within the venticles.... so once that are more anterior would be supplied by the LAD, while once attached to the posterior wall would be supplied by the RCA (in a right dominant vascularity i.e. 80% of us)...
Both the sources are correct. Here is the complete blood supply
There are two papillary muscles, the anterolateral and posteromedial. The anterolateral papillary muscle is perfused by the left anterior descending AND the left circumflex coronary arteries, thus dysfunction of the anterolateral papillary muscle is uncommon (since it would require 2 major artery occlusions). The posteromedial papillary muscle receives its sole blood supply from the right coronary artery (which also supplies the inferior wall in 80% of people). Thus a right coronary artery occlusion resulting in inferior wall myocardial infarction frequently causes mitral regurgitation due to concomitant papillary muscle infarction. Rarely, rupture of a papillary muscle can cause acute mitral regurgitation and cardiogenic shock which requires emergent surgical correction.

Reactions: 2 users
The direct reference to a uworld concept is that it is most commonly RCA that is involved w papillary muscle pathology. although i do believe in their explanation, they mentioned the %domination in the population.

Reactions: 1 user