paralysis and pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd4me@510

druggist_2_be
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I became paralyzed when I was 16 due to spinal cord injury. I have good use of both of my arms and very independent. I'm going to be a senior in college. With some minor accomodations in the labs, I've had no problems doing the labs at all. My original goal was to be a doctor, but I think med school is probably too physically demanding for me so I switched to pharmacy instead. I'm in the process of applying to pharmacy school this fall. My question: will pharmacy school be too physically demanding for a person like me? For those that have finished pharmacy school, please advise. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pharmd4me@510 said:
Hi all,

I became paralyzed when I was 16 due to spinal cord injury. I have good use of both of my arms and very independent. I'm going to be a senior in college. With some minor accomodations in the labs, I've had no problems doing the labs at all. My original goal was to be a doctor, but I think med school is probably too physically demanding for me so I switched to pharmacy instead. I'm in the process of applying to pharmacy school this fall. My question: will pharmacy school be too physically demanding for a person like me? For those that have finished pharmacy school, please advise. Thanks

I think so long as you have solid transportation it shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes I think you need to drive places to do your Praticums. But I wouldnt imagine it being a problem. But I am sure someone with more knowledge can be of more help. Good Luck!

There's a guy in my class whose arms are only elbow length and has deformed hands - he does just fine. Hands are the primary appendage we use, so if he is ok, I'd say you won't have too many problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I am admired by your motivation and inspiration to become a pharmacist. I think there wouldn't be a problem in pharmacy school, as long as you study hard to absorb solid knowledge. Once you are done with pharmacy school, you can become a good consultant pharmacist. :)

rxforlife2004 said:
First of all, I am admired by your motivation and inspiration to become a pharmacist. I think there wouldn't be a problem in pharmacy school, as long as you study hard to absorb solid knowledge. Once you are done with pharmacy school, you can become a good consultant pharmacist. :)

Thanks, rxforlife2004 and other posters. This is really good to hear. I'm really interested in clinical pharmacy. I like the hospital settings , but I don't know if the job is suited for me. If not, doing research or being a consultant pharmacist would be ok too--but not retail.

There is a pharmacist working somewhere in the Seattle Metro who is paralyzed from the waist down. She came and visited one of our classes once. I don't recall whether it happened before or after she became a pharmacist. School shouldn't be too physically demanding for you to make it work. :)

A fellow classmate of my wife was a paraplegic, and did fine in school. She did steal my pen in a Preps lab (and denied it), and later lost her license in Texas and Oklahoma for stealing narcs, but that is beside the point.

I think that any motivated person should be able to finish pharmacy school, irregardless of how they locomote. Good luck in school.

pharmd4me@510 said:
Thanks, rxforlife2004 and other posters. This is really good to hear. I'm really interested in clinical pharmacy. I like the hospital settings , but I don't know if the job is suited for me. If not, doing research or being a consultant pharmacist would be ok too--but not retail.

I just toured the Walgreens specialty pharmacy in Cincinnati, OH. It is very clinical. One thing I liked about it was that all the pharmacists were wearing jeans and worked at desks. They manage patients who require specialized drug therapy, like Growth Hormone or hepatitis C therapy. It seemed very interesting. Most of the work is done on the computer (verifying and managing therapy) and the phone (working with prescribers and counseling patients).

Requiem said:
In the biz we call that hCG yomsain?

At the Wags specialty pharmacy center they have a working group titled "Growth Hormone." I don't honestly know too much about it and I'm not familiar with the term you mentioned. I probably should have made it lower case "growth hormone" because they implied that there was more than one type.

Edit: actually, I AM familar with hCG, as I had that blood test several times during my pregnancies. I don't think that hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) is the same as pituitary growth hormone. hCg is produced by cells in the placenta during pregnancy.

Others may have more knowledge of this than I.

pharmd4me@510 said:
Hi all,

Don't apply to South then...

then again, you could have a heck of a law suit on your hands for discrimatory practice....hmmm

Irony: I am sure I can handle pharmacy school. I don't think I could handle being paralyzed.

GO FOR IT!!!