Paramedic to MD/DO - are there schools which waive prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paramedic1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this but would love some help.

I'm currently in a paramedic program through UCLA which when completed will give 36 credits of undergrad science classes.
Assuming I complete the program, get the credits and get the NREMT-P cert, I've heard rumors of a few medical schools which will accept paramedic coursework as the needed prerequisite classes in lieu of undergrad coursework or post-bacc programs but I don't know if any of this is true. Can anyone comment on this or point me towards a couple schools which do actually do this to? That would be great!

I'm 24 now - my undergrad was a BS in hotel and restaurant management, basically a business degree, with a graduating GPA of 3.02 (definitely partied more than I studied, but hey I never thought I'd be looking at med school till now). Don't know if it's relevant but I also have a Fire Science Certification through community college, about 32 semester units at 3.8 GPA that I got after undergrad.

The more career options I've been looking into the more impressed with I am about not only the impact you can make in the field of medicine but also the work life balance, specifically speaking about emergency medicine after residency at least.

Thank you in advance for the guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your paramedic coursework include Gen Bio I and II, Gen Chem I and II, Physics I and II, Organic Chem I and II, and sociology/psychology? If not, then you won't be prepared for the MCAT, regardless of any kind of waiver.

I highly doubt there are programs that waive these prereqs, and even if there were, you would perform so poorly on the MCAT that it wouldn't be worth it. There are, unfortunately, no short cuts. You absolutely need a background in basic sciences to handle medical school.

Can you add in a science class over the summer to see how you do? Gen Bio is usually the easiest of the prereqs and can help you get your toes wet.

Paramedic doesn't really mean anything to the mcat....take the prereqs

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does your paramedic coursework include Gen Bio I and II, Gen Chem I and II, Physics I and II, Organic Chem I and II, and sociology/psychology? If not, then you won't be prepared for the MCAT, regardless of any kind of waiver.

I highly doubt there are programs that waive these prereqs, and even if there were, you would perform so poorly on the MCAT that it wouldn't be worth it. There are, unfortunately, no short cuts. You absolutely need a background in basic sciences to handle medical school.

Can you add in a science class over the summer to see how you do? Gen Bio is usually the easiest of the prereqs and can help you get your toes wet.

Ok, thank you. That's a good point, I haven't touched a physics book in 7 years.
Then that would lead to should I take all the pre-reqs on my own through community colleges, or should I find a post-bacc program? Does it matter? I've heard post-back programs have high acceptance rates from med school from there, but of course community college is cheaper. Are there one year programs?

Generally you want to avoid taking important pre-req science classes at community college. CC's are extremely hit or miss, more commonly miss - the level of education you receive will tend to be much lower than what you get at a 4-year school, and you may not be prepared well for the MCAT. Med schools turn up their noses at CC credits for this reason.

Since you're already at UCLA, maybe look into UCLA Extension's pre-med postbac?

You can do it in 1 year, but IMO 2 years is better because it affords you more time to build up EC's volunteer, get clinical experience (put your paramedic license to work), get involved in research, study for and crush the MCAT. It's really hard to cram all that into 1 year in addition to getting A's in 3 lab classes at the same time.

First, be aware that last year 53,000 people applied to US MD schools and 21,000 people got in. It would be wise to think of the 60% of people who didn't get in as being quite well qualified and quite devastated.

Second, whatever gave you the idea that paramedic studies/work is preparation for med school, that thing needs to stop. Whether the docs you work with seem smart or proficient, whether they're offering you encouragement, whether you're great at your job...these things aren't part of your med school story. Spend time with nontrad med students, residents, fresh docs, and get their input on what it takes to get in, what it takes to get through med school, what it takes to get a residency, what it takes to get through residency. The average traditional med student or MD has no idea what GPA redemption takes. A DO not doing primary care is a very successful DO who probably can't give you the advice you need because they were successful. Similarly, an IMG who got a residency is a very successful IMG. You need to understand the prevalence of non-success so that you can avoid it.

Third, from a 3.02 in a non-science, doesn't matter how/why it was low, you need to accept some things:
1. The med school prereqs are going to be painful-to-excruciating.
2. You will be competing for A's with very bright, very young kiddoes who have done nothing with their lives but learn how to get A's with lots of adult help and supervision.
3. Every grade you get that isn't an A is a step away from med school.
4. You will never have a competitive GPA for med school, because of the "A" in GPA. Getting in will take big fat compromises and/or a whole lot of time+effort+money.
5. An above average MCAT score is (a) necessary because of your GPA damage but (b) does not redeem your GPA damage at all.
6. You cannot (CANNOT) use the traditional yardstick for your (a) competitiveness or (b) readiness. Advice from premed advisers and premeds does not apply to you until proven otherwise.
7. You need to be thinking "2nd bachelors" not "postbac." 2-3 years before you apply to med school, if all goes well.

Fourth, if you disagree with any of the above, you also have to accept that premed opinions on med school admissions are meaningless.

SDN has a vast bounty of free help, most of which has already been written, much of which retains its value after 15+ years. The answers are here. Search on "low GPA."

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 7 users
In your case I recommend the formal post-bac programs that exist for career switchers.

Ok, thank you. That's a good point, I haven't touched a physics book in 7 years.
Then that would lead to should I take all the pre-reqs on my own through community colleges, or should I find a post-bacc program? Does it matter? I've heard post-back programs have high acceptance rates from med school from there, but of course community college is cheaper. Are there one year programs?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this but would love some help.

Welcome aboard. Cute pic.

I'm currently in a paramedic program through UCLA .....my undergrad was a BS in hotel and restaurant management, basically a business degree,...!

Medical schools don't have the power to make exceptions to requirements as they must follow certain rules by the accrediting bodies, e.g LCME. You're going to have to take the pre-reqs to apply to USA medical schools. I'm not sure about foreign schools.

Finish your paramedic program and get some clinical experience - 2 years or so. You will stand out better in your application process if you work as a paramedic for a couple of years. With your business background, you are also able to see the medical field for what it is: business. Take the pre-reqs, get a great GPA with the pre-req courses, do well on MCAT, and take off.

keep us posted.

Thank you everybody for your insights and advice, I learned something new from every comment. I don't disagree with any of it, I'm very grateful to have a space here to be able to listen to those who have come through it all already and can share about what it actually takes instead of the typical 'you can do it!' from friends. Thank you Gruby, ironically I didn't know UCLA extension had a post-bacc program as well.

A get the feeling that DrMidLife's signature of second bachelors, SMP and re-applicant is the path I'm looking towards if I choose to continue down this realistically much longer than I initially anticipated road.