Paramedic transition to PA school - questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anjunadeep02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I just turned 23 years old on December 1 and I am requesting advice on making the best decision. I am currently a Paramedic in a metropolitan city and have been functioning here for a little over a year. I have been working in EMS since I was 18 (4 years of clinical experience, 1.5 years as Paramedic). I am at a point in my life and career that I "want more." I have been knocking out school part time in the meantime. I currently have about 26 credit hours of prerequsites done, all pertaining to premed/B.S. degree.

I am stuck between going to nursing school or PA school, however, I'm leaning more toward PA school. Nursing school is tempting because of how convenient it would be for me. I'm basically done with all of the prerequisites to get into a RN program at my local CC and I would graduate with an ADN with minimal debt. The dilemma is that I simply don't want to be a nurse, but both the salary and the short-time frame to do that program are very tempting.

As previously mentioned, I really want to be a PA (I know it seems that I should choose this if it's what I really want to do), but I simply have some concerns. I am independent, live on my own, and have less than $3000 in credit card debt, which is my only debt. I really worry about student loan debt. I am considering becoming a full time student at an in-state institution and continuing on to finish a bachelors in biology. I have been informed by my current professors that resident advisor would be a good option for me and would minimize my overall debt that I would accrue over the next 2.5-3 years or so of school. Once I finish my bachelors, ofcourse that will unlock PA school. However, I will already have undergrad debt and now PA school debt. I have been taking a lot of classes while working full time as a Paramedic in a busy system and it's literally "killing" me. I've also noticed that the working full time is taking a toll on my GPA. I will be getting my first B upon completion of this semester, which is embarrassing, considering the previous 6 courses I have taken I have received an A. Being 23, I feel like I am getting quite old as well, but I know some people start MEDICAL SCHOOL in their upper 30s and low 40s, so I guess I have no room to complain.

I apologize for drawing this out so long. At this point, would it be recommended that I stop working, become a full time student, finish my bachelors, and apply to PA school? This working full time thing and taking 12 credit hours a semester is difficult and I don't want to ruin my GPA before applying to PA school.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and I hope that you're all doing well.

Members don't see this ad.

First - why not try for med school? With PA and RN as 2nd or 3rd option?? I just don't get why smart young people set their goals low....

Second - $75k in student loans for becoming a PA, or $250k loans for becoming a MD, is fine, you will make plenty enough to pay those off.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take a bunch of the classes online first while punching out a lab our two in person in the off hours.....it might cut some time of off the "i'm not working because I am in school"

I'm doing it now and haven't had to miss work yet (i have a family to feed) but end of every semester is like a twisted christmas waiting game to see if my schedule will work out next semester

Jakester:

I'm sure he didn't mean low as in they are bad programs. I'm sure he is simply wondering why I would be "selling myself short", considering my age and medical experience to be so young. I completely understand where he is coming from.

Boats, first thanks for the reply. Initially I highly considered medical school, but I understand that it takes a lot of dedication and self-motivation to do that (not implying that a midlevel program wouldn't be). I feel like MDs dedicate a lot of time to medicine and don't have a lot of personal time. Being a Paramedic, my exposure to MDs are my medical director, emergency physicians, and mainly cardiologists when I get STEMI patients. It seems like they literally live at the hospital. I love medicine, but I really value my personal time and have a lot of hobbies and interests outside of medicine. For these reasons, I don't feel that MD/DO is a good fit for me. Plus, if I'm already having doubts about if I would enjoy it or not, I feel like the best decision is to just not do it. I don't want to get myself in $250,000 dollars of debt and be unhappy with what I'm doing - I still owe that $250,000.

Jakester:

I'm sure he didn't mean low as in they are bad programs. I'm sure he is simply wondering why I would be "selling myself short", considering my age and medical experience to be so young. I completely understand where he is coming from.

Boats, first thanks for the reply. Initially I highly considered medical school, but I understand that it takes a lot of dedication and self-motivation to do that (not implying that a midlevel program wouldn't be). I feel like MDs dedicate a lot of time to medicine and don't have a lot of personal time. Being a Paramedic, my exposure to MDs are my medical director, emergency physicians, and mainly cardiologists when I get STEMI patients. It seems like they literally live at the hospital. I love medicine, but I really value my personal time and have a lot of hobbies and interests outside of medicine. For these reasons, I don't feel that MD/DO is a good fit for me. Plus, if I'm already having doubts about if I would enjoy it or not, I feel like the best decision is to just not do it. I don't want to get myself in $250,000 dollars of debt and be unhappy with what I'm doing - I still owe that $250,000.

Well good sir, PA's work hard as well, but I can see where your coming from. Can you take the MD that dislikes midlevels and basically blows off your exam for you to regurgitate it to your SP to say the same thing? Can you tolerate reaching a "ceiling" educationally? Can you take not truly having "all the say"

I went back to school for multiple reasons:
1.)Someone else is paying for it(Work hard and you will find someone to foot the bill)
2.)I wanted to become an independent clinician.
3.)I wanted to learn and challenge myself to the highest potential.
4.)I was still relatively young without kids

Probably a ton of bad grammar which I aplogize for but doing this on the go.

Jake- Not inferring PA or nursing isn't a great career, nor insulting anyone in those professions. But MD/DO is obviously the top of the profession, and it always astounds me when young people set their goals on less than the top. It is one thing to TRY to get into med school and apply for PA as a backup, it is a different story to say "med school would be too hard".

To the OP: You will be forever limited as a PA or nurse. Set your goals high. Yes, it is much more work to get there, but the rewards are worth it.

Jake- Not inferring PA or nursing isn't a great career, nor insulting anyone in those professions. But MD/DO is obviously the top of the profession, and it always astounds me when young people set their goals on less than the top. It is one thing to TRY to get into med school and apply for PA as a backup, it is a different story to say "med school would be too hard".

To the OP: You will be forever limited as a PA or nurse. Set your goals high. Yes, it is much more work to get there, but the rewards are worth it.

While I can understand encouraging someone young & smart to be the "top of the profession," goals are extremely variable depending upon the person. It's great to aim to be an MD/DO if that's what one wants, but the necessary sacrifices that come with that pathway aren't worth the rewards for everyone.

Hi there. When I was your age I was very interested in medicine and decided I was going to be a nurse, even though I had considered being a PA. Just like you said, I was going to do it because you get paid a lot and it doesn't take that long. But just like you said, "The dilemma is that I simply don't want to be a nurse, but both the salary and the short-time frame to do that program are very tempting." I also was not interested in being a nurse. Let me tell you, I personally think that it is NOT worth it. Youre young now, and you are very interested in the money. Think, in 2 years, you can be making 70 grand a year. Of course its tempting. But is it worth it to do something you really don't want to do?
Keep in mind to nursing school is very different from PA school. They teach you about the nursing model (not the medical model which it sound like you're interested in). For me, nursing school was very depressing and frustrating, and I ended up dropping out. Please don't pick something you really don't want to do. Talk to several nurses, and you will realize it is very different. You will probably end up doing some or part of nursing school and then end up going to PA school anyway, but why do that if you never want to be a nurse? Money is not everything; please be very careful with your decisions. I wouldn't want you to make the same mistakes as me! Good luck.

Completely agree. If it weren't for my age and family circumstances I'd be going for it.

Limited as a PA? Depends on why you want to be a PA. For me, being a PA gives me flexibility. I can change specialties without having to spend more years in residency. In no way do I feel I am selling myself short. I don't care about having the "final" say. The money is good enough. I would rather make 90,000 and not have to spend extra years in school just to turn around and take time off to have children or maybe switch specialties. Not to mention getting into the residency I even want to have. What if I wanna do derm? I find a job opening. As a med student, I better make connections, research, have 4.0 GPA, and pray to multiple gods a night. I do not feel limited.

I haven't been on here in months and noticed a few new replies. Thanks to each of you that have put your 02 cents in - it means a lot. Currently, I was able to get a position teaching EMS at a local community college and am going to school full time to finish my bachelors. I have decided on making PA school my goal and am working toward that.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies and words of wisdom. I hope that all of you and your families are doing well.

Johnathan

Go to medical school even if it takes you 4 more years to get pre-reqs and high enough grades to get in. You are very young, but you will wake up one day soon nd be 40 and wonder if you made the right decision. I was a paramedic at your age and took the quicker route to PA, graduating when I was 27. Took me another 4 years to realize I needed more. You max out quickly as a smart PA; meaning there is a ceiling for income and responsibility. Those are not the exceptions...but the rule in general. In one year as an EM doc I make enough to pay off most med school debt, plus my schedule is easier and I am more fulfilled. Don't settle. Paramedics are generally autonomous souls who have a hard time adjusting to the subservient nature of nursing, PA. I'm 42 now and I literally remember asking the same question you are now...seems like yesterday.

Agree with above. listen to the man, he knows what he is talking about. It has taken me > 15 years to find a job that I like and it requires a significant commute. it is very rural and "full scope practice". it has been a very painful road to get there. I would not wish it on anyone. the huge amount of disrespect you have to live with in most pa positions is intolerable. if you have even a spot of desire to "run the show" and "make the difficult calls" go to medschool. if you are ok with refilling prescriptions, doing cosmetic derm, working at weight loss centers, doing insurance physicals, etc then carry on with your pa plans.
the only way to make pa work well is go to a place where docs don't want to go. that means very rural or very inner city. PAs there can make a difference and have a good scope of practice. this is why the profession was created; to fill holes in underserved communities. unfortunately only 5% of pas or so are willing to work in those types of jobs. most want 100k for m-f 9-5, no nights/weekends/call. not a lot of those jobs out there so most take jobs where they are underutilized, under appreciated, and under compensated.

Emedpa, Another frustrated PA and former medic.

Last edited by a moderator: