Paramedic ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beanbean

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound crazy but...

I have been an EMT-I for many years and am now in med school. Does anyone know of a way to challenge or take an abbreviated course to obtain paramedic certification? I would like to be able to volunteer as a medic for my town later in my schooling if this is possible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

in many states once you are an md you can challenge the medic exam and if you pass oral/written/practical/field als calls you get your cert.
many md's who are not em trained would likely fail.

beanbean said:
This may sound crazy but...

I have been an EMT-I for many years and am now in med school. Does anyone know of a way to challenge or take an abbreviated course to obtain paramedic certification? I would like to be able to volunteer as a medic for my town later in my schooling if this is possible.

Thanks!
beanbean, have you contacted Dr. Knuth? She's the EMS fellowship director at UConn/Hartford Hospital.

If you have trouble getting in touch with her to ask her about challenging CT boards, let me know. I'll try to find out for you (I can ask Dr. Cone @ YNHH). I think many states have closed this loophole, and I know the National Registry will not allow you to do this anymore. In fact, I couldn't use my medical school courses to satisfy my recertification requirements last year. I actually had to take a refresher course!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, for the info. I will talk to Dr. Knuth if I see her at HH - I am doing an EM research elective there. It really isn't that important, but with my EMS experience and my desire to pursue EM I would like to challenge the exam at some point (if it is possible)..

At least for now I can use my med school classes for some of my EMT-I CEUs, however, EMT-I's in CT are now supposed to take a full EMT-B refresher to recert. Yuck!

beanbean said:
Thanks, for the info. I will talk to Dr. Knuth if I see her at HH - I am doing an EM research elective there. It really isn't that important, but with my EMS experience and my desire to pursue EM I would like to challenge the exam at some point (if it is possible)..

At least for now I can use my med school classes for some of my EMT-I CEUs, however, EMT-I's in CT are now supposed to take a full EMT-B refresher to recert. Yuck!
Let me know if you need any help. And if you venture down to YNHH to do a rotation, be sure to PM me.

Thanks so much. If you are ever up by UCONN - stop in and say 'hello'