Paramedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colonel_Forbin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I finally finished Paramedic school, I took my NR written, and pratical test this past weekend. Now I wait. The test was pretty tricky, I am not sure how I feel about it. I heard it was graded in a strange way, like you could pass all your subscales and still fail, what the hell. Any way there is no reason for this post, just letting folks know.

Members don't see this ad.

Cool man, congrats! I bet its a huge releif to finally be done with the classes at least. I myself start on Jan 10th- I'm pumped but everyone I talk to says my enthusiasm will soon be beat out of me. Got any advice for someone just starting the class?

Congrats to the colonel for being done, what a relief....have fun out there on the streets.

Tofiznat: If you are dating or married, make sure you put sometime aside to spend w/ the other. It got to the point where we would schedule a "date" that was not allowed to be broken unless extreme circumstances kicked in. The other thing is that everyone will have something that they will struggle at, whether it be remembering drug doseage, drug calcs, learning EKGs, remembering ACLS algorithms or the like ...so no matter what at some point there is a struggle, its how you handle it and move on determines your success. The other thing is to remember that in the streets it is sometimes different than the "book" and that after the call is done can you talk about it w/ you preceptor. Lastly enjoy your ride time, take advantage of those who like to teach, pick their brains, but be aggressive, if you just come in and put your feet up and dont ask questions the crews are not going to know what to train you on you need to know what you want to go over...also remember you are part of the crew so that means helping with truck check in the am, cleaning the unit after the call, stocking, if they have a station helping with station duties. It was the students that did that without having to be told/asked that were helped out more (and made the preceptor want to help as in at the ER staying a little bit longer so you can help on the code that just rolled thru etc.)

take care and be safe..L

Members don't see this ad :)
fiznat said:
Cool man, congrats! I bet its a huge releif to finally be done with the classes at least. I myself start on Jan 10th- I'm pumped but everyone I talk to says my enthusiasm will soon be beat out of me. Got any advice for someone just starting the class?

Well all I can Say is get ready. How long is your course? Mine was 16 months, so I deffinetely got a little beat down at times, but I wouldn't say I lost any enthusiasm. The toughest part of the program is how much time it consumes. I worked full time, went to classes at night, and did rotations every weekend. As for the class part, it was pretty difficult at times, drug calcs., disease pathophysiology, and cardiology seemed to be the toughest on all of us. You will have to study alot, but you will see a lot of cool stuff on your rideouts, so if you are pumped rightnow, then you should enjoy it. But prepared that this is nothing like EMT-B school! Be cool to your preceptors, and you will get to do alot of stuff on your rideouts. Goodluck man. Let me know if you got anymore questions.

I passed!! I found out today, I can't believe it. Well, I'm going drinking

Congrats man!! Tip one back for me (put it on my tab)! :D

Colonel_Forbin said:
I passed!! I found out today, I can't believe it. Well, I'm going drinking

He already fits in with the Medics of the world ;)