Paranoia needle stick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Options

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Has anyone worried that they might have been stuck or cut by a patient and not known it? I'm a practicing OB/GYN and had a busy call where I did maybe 6-7 C-sections and maybe 4-5 regular deliveries over a weekend. At the end of the weekend I thought I might have a red spot on my finger that resembled a needle poke, but I'm not sure, and never obviously felt anything. I've been poked before and definitely felt it.

About two weeks later I had a small 'cut' on my palm that could possibly be a crack from dry skin. My anxiety has gotten ramped up about the idea of unnoticed exposure. I'm not aware of any HIV+ patients I cared for but of course they weren't tested because I don't remember anything happening.

On paper, sounds ridiculous, but when you see stuff on your hands, you wonder.

-Options.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Has anyone worried that they might have been stuck or cut by a patient and not known it? I'm a practicing OB/GYN and had a busy call where I did maybe 6-7 C-sections and maybe 4-5 regular deliveries over a weekend. At the end of the weekend I thought I might have a red spot on my finger that resembled a needle poke, but I'm not sure, and never obviously felt anything. I've been poked before and definitely felt it.

About two weeks later I had a small 'cut' on my palm that could possibly be a crack from dry skin. My anxiety has gotten ramped up about the idea of unnoticed exposure. I'm not aware of any HIV+ patients I cared for but of course they weren't tested because I don't remember anything happening.

On paper, sounds ridiculous, but when you see stuff on your hands, you wonder.

-Options.

Get tested and then again in a few months.

Why aren't any of your pregnant patients tested for HIV? ACOG recommends screening all pregnant patients as apart of a routine prenatal panel. I mean, you're checking Hepatitis B status as well. Why wouldn't your practice just add that in ?

You should have a clear idea of these patients HIV status and I would argue Hepatitis B/C status in order to offer good prenatal care.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get tested and then again in a few months.

Why aren't any of your pregnant patients tested for HIV? ACOG recommends screening all pregnant patients as apart of a routine prenatal panel. I mean, you're checking Hepatitis B status as well. Why wouldn't your practice just add that in ?

You should have a clear idea of these patients HIV status and I would argue Hepatitis B/C status in order to offer good prenatal care.

They are all tested, just at the beginning of the pregnancy.

A lot of times, if you hand tie really big suture under a good amount of tension, they can cause cuts or skin breaks that you don't see until you take the glove off. Just fyi.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of times, if you hand tie really big suture under a good amount of tension, they can cause cuts or skin breaks that you don't see until you take the glove off. Just fyi.
you clearly have a lot of faith in OBGYN knot tying...

***runs to hide from OBGYN wife***

Reactions: 1 users
you clearly have a lot of faith in OBGYN knot tying...

***runs to hide from OBGYN wife***

I'm a plastic surgery resident, so sutures and knots are essentially my life; but that said, I like to give everyone a chance unless otherwise there's a reason to think they're incapable.