paranoia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckyftw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With nothing better to do in this rainy weather, I thought id ask you guys what you think my chances to getting in to MD schools. Id like to go somewhere nice in the midwest, but honestly i would do whatever...

UW-madison biology and english lit double major, MN resident
cum GPA 3.74, science 3.7ish, hopefully both a little below 3.8 after this semester.
MCAT - taking it in may, but I got a 28 on my initial kaplan diagnostic if that means anything, hoping for anything over 30 i guess

Independant reserach on neural stem cells for 1 year so far, Volunteering at ER, run tutoring "peer mentoring groups" for biocore 301/303 students every week, active in our outreach program to help elementary students, summer internship with 30 hours a week rounding in hospital back home in MN, cert. pharm tech for last 3 years. at least 3 solid LORs and hopefully one more from my PI when i get around to asking him, though im sure he'll be happy to do it, and club soccer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you've done the ER volunteering for a decent amount of time, then your ECs look good. Your GPA is above average. And the Kaplan diagnostic is meant to be hard so they are less likely to need to honor the guarantee that you'll improve on the real test. Based on my experience and that of friends, you may score a 32 on the real thing. You have a good chance of an acceptance somewhere.

You've got leadership running the peer mentoring group (could also be community service if you weren't paid). An average amount of research. Clinical experience in the ER (unknown time), during a summer internship (what did you do?), and possibly through the pharmacy job if you had any interaction with patients by counseling them on their meds (but still a good experience to list even if you stayed in the back). And community service, during the stint in the ER and helping in the elementary school. DO you have any other random altruistic activities to list? Don't forget to list sports involvement, interest in the arts, and hobbies so you'll look rell-rounded and interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
umm, as far as altruistic stuff, i participate in our bio outreach program, where we do science nights and demonstrations to elementary kids and such. The internship was a ton of direct patient care, as I split 50/50 with assisting the physicians on their consults, and taking vitals and patient histories in the clinic. The pharmacy job had a ton of patient interaction as well, as I worked directly with them in terms of getting them the right medications, and helping the pharmacists take care of everyone. And the mentoring is definitely not paid (if only...). ER time was about 4-6 hours a week for a semester and a half, but im planning on doing more this summer, as well as continuing research.

Then you are ready to go. Just nail down that MCAT! The ongoing activities will be important to provide fodder for update letters.