Paraplegic in biomedical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAMAlama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recently injured paraplegic and I am seeking a career in biomedical research. I am applying to UNC chapel hill for biology this fall. Are thee any tips that would be helpful? Do I go o med school or just seek a phd? How do I get to where Im going best?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't believe people that tell you that you can't do certain things. You may be limited but there are almost always ways to work around something to make it accessible for you. Seek whatever career path interests you most and find a way to make that work. In my experience, schools (including medical schools) are quite open to making reasonable accommodations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scientists can be super enthusiastic about trainees. They also can often be very dismissive of trainees, so be prepared to have someone, often someone you barely know, tell you that you have no future in science because of your disability. Ignore them. Those people told the last guy that he has no future in science because he's not smart enough. They tell all women that they have no place in science at all because they have ovaries. They told one guy that he's too lazy to work in science because he won't work 150 hours a week. Just be prepared for that... it's not you, it's them.

I'm a recently injured paraplegic and I am seeking a career in biomedical research. I am applying to UNC chapel hill for biology this fall. Are thee any tips that would be helpful? Do I go o med school or just seek a phd? How do I get to where Im going best?
It's hard to answer that question without knowing exactly what you mean when you say you want a career in biomedical research. Are you planning to be a PI? Work in industry? Do basic science versus translational versus clinical? Start by deciding what kind of career you want, and then you will have a better idea of what kind of training is needed to help you reach your goal.

If you do choose to go to medical school, I think the biggest limitation you may run into as a paraplegic will be with trying to enter more procedurally-oriented specialties such as surgery, OB, and EM. But both medical schools and graduate schools should be able to accommodate your disability.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, but I congratulate you for aim to become the best of what you can be. You might want to read the following links about medical school and disabilities:

https://www.aamc.org/members/gsa/64660/gsa_ada.html

However, you also must be aware that medical schools have also implemented standards for "essential skills and abilities" for been able to become a physician. One of those standards involves motor function sufficient to be able to do a physical examination. Although these standards are slightly different across medical schools, this is one of the obstacles that you will face. I suggest that you do a google search of those terms to get you an idea. These standards are driven by LCME, not specific schools, but they are implemented slightly differently on each SOM.

In contrast, biomedical investigation (i.e.: PhD school) does not have those standards, and you might be much more successful.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, but I congratulate you for aim to become the best of what you can be. You might want to read the following links about medical school and disabilities:

https://www.aamc.org/members/gsa/64660/gsa_ada.html

However, you also must be aware that medical schools have also implemented standards for "essential skills and abilities" for been able to become a physician. One of those standards involves motor function sufficient to be able to do a physical examination. Although these standards are slightly different across medical schools, this is one of the obstacles that you will face. I suggest that you do a google search of those terms to get you an idea. These standards are driven by LCME, not specific schools, but they are implemented slightly differently on each SOM.

In contrast, biomedical investigation (i.e.: PhD school) does not have those standards, and you might be much more successful.

Hi there! First off I am very sorry to hear of your injury. It is very inspirational to hear of your drive to continue to pursue a career in biomedical research. I am a current MD PhD student at UNC. I know for sure that in the first year graduate school class there is at least one paraplegic student. He is involved in bioinformatics based research I believe but I feel like the grad school here would be very accommodating and help you find a PI willing to help you pursue bench research if that is what you want. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about UNC or if I can help in some way! Good luck with your applications this year :)