Parent Info on FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az_drugdlr

PharmD Candidate 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if University of Arizona COP requires parent info on the FAFSA? If it's not required, I don't want to put it so I get more aid. My parents are with me from out of town right now filling it out, so I would appreciate a response ASAP. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if University of Arizona COP requires parent info on the FAFSA? If it's not required, I don't want to put it so I get more aid. My parents are with me from out of town right now filling it out, so I would appreciate a response ASAP. Thanks so much for your help! :)

It would really depend on if you're still considered your parents dependent (i.e. do they still want to claim the tax breaks for you?), or if you're an independent student. Plus, if you're only 18-19 and this is your first year in college, you're probably still going to be dependent on them. You'll be considered 'independent' if you had already finished a bachelor's degree and were going into grad school.

If you're living with your parents, (that is, if they maintain a room for you when you're not away at school), then you ARE their dependent and you don't (and shouldn't) get as much aid as a true independent student. Many of your classmates are going to be older than 22, they won't be living at home or getting checks from parents, and their parents won't be the ones taking out PLUS loans for them----- those are independent students, and those are the ones that the aid is designed to help.

Don't fudge on your FAFSA paperwork just because you think it will mean more aid for you. There's a very important bit of information on that paper--- your signature, stating that everything is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. That's your measure as a person, your word.

It would really depend on if you're still considered your parents dependent (i.e. do they still want to claim the tax breaks for you?), or if you're an independent student. Plus, if you're only 18-19 and this is your first year in college, you're probably still going to be dependent on them. You'll be considered 'independent' if you had already finished a bachelor's degree and were going into grad school.

If you're living with your parents, (that is, if they maintain a room for you when you're not away at school), then you ARE their dependent and you don't (and shouldn't) get as much aid as a true independent student. Many of your classmates are going to be older than 22, they won't be living at home or getting checks from parents, and their parents won't be the ones taking out PLUS loans for them----- those are independent students, and those are the ones that the aid is designed to help.

Don't fudge on your FAFSA paperwork just because you think it will mean more aid for you. There's a very important bit of information on that paper--- your signature, stating that everything is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. That's your measure as a person, your word.

Here's my situation:
I will be starting pharmacy school (considered grad/prof school on FAFSA form) in the fall without a bachelor's degree. Per FAFSA regulations, students entering grad school do not need to enter parental financial info unless the SCHOOL requires it (FAFSA does not require it). I'm not trying to fudge, just maximize legit opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd say double check with your school because i had a similar situation. i'm considered independent....(married, >24, etc.) but i still provided my parents information on my FAFSA...why? my school, highly suggested it as that is the only way i would qualify for the health professions loan...it sounds confusing but i double checked with my school and the guys at the FAFSA office and both reassured me that it wouldn't change my status as an independent and that the benefit is that i will be eligible for the particular type of loan mentioned above. did that make any sense? good luck!

i'd say double check with your school because i had a similar situation. i'm considered independent....(married, >24, etc.) but i still provided my parents information on my FAFSA...why? my school, highly suggested it as that is the only way i would qualify for the health professions loan...it sounds confusing but i double checked with my school and the guys at the FAFSA office and both reassured me that it wouldn't change my status as an independent and that the benefit is that i will be eligible for the particular type of loan mentioned above. did that make any sense? good luck!

This is true, however, if you're parents are rakin in the cash, you will not qualify for this type of loan, so the info is useless. I am an independent (22, married, 1 child) but I will not put this info because my dad makes well into the 6 figures. I think the limit is 100 grand. Don't quote me though.

The FAFSA has very specific requirements on who they say is dependent and independent. According to them if you're starting a graduate degree program you're independent. If you're over 23 or married or have served active military duty and are a veteran you're independent. It has nothing to do with having your parents claim you on their taxes. My mother claimed me on her taxes because I moved back in with her to go to school, (I believe the definition is providing over half a person's support for the IRS) however I was considered independent for financial aid purposes.

The FAFSA has very specific requirements on who they say is dependent and independent. According to them if you're starting a graduate degree program you're independent.

I kind of touched on that but I wasn't very clear. Yes, you're correct- grad school is a whole different slice of cheesecake. But I couldn't tell from the wording if the original poster was a grad student or was just starting out in the freshman year of a pre-pharm or a 0-6 program.