Pharmacy Schools are asking for my parents/guardian information? Im 28 years old, why do they need this information ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEE ADAMA WILLIAMS

Reaction score
One of the schools I am applying to is asking me to submit my parent/guardian information. My relationship with my parents was REALLY rough. I have not spoken to them in 8 years, as far as I am concerned they dont exist.

How do I submit this information?

I wont be able to answer many of their questions such as my parents level of education, their occupation, if they are living/ where they are living and etc.

How do I move forward with this school without embarassing myself looking like a ghetto/trashy loser who couldnt keep a relationship with their parents?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you ask the school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They probably need it for financial/loan/scholarship/grant reasons (like on the FAFSA?), or could be collecting statistics e.g. how many pharmacy students are first-generation to graduate professional school or college.
You should not have to worry about looking "ghetto/trashy", plenty of people have different relationships with their parents or their parents have passed away. Just call them and ask why they need it since you have not spoken to your parents in years.

They probably need it for financial/loan/scholarship/grant reasons (like on the FAFSA?), or could be collecting statistics e.g. how many pharmacy students are first-generation to graduate professional school or college.
You should not have to worry about looking "ghetto/trashy", plenty of people have different relationships with their parents or their parents have passed away. Just call them and ask why they need it since you have not spoken to your parents in years.

I really appreciate your reply, but I dont understand why they would care about my parents situation when I am the one applying.

Once I turned 26 I no longer had to submit my parents information for FAFSA, which is a major reason as to why I am F&*^$ING 28 (almost 29) and just now getting my undergrad degree....

I really dont want any aspect of my application to be tied to them. Ill take your advice and see what happens

thanks

I really appreciate your reply, but I dont understand why they would care about my parents situation when I am the one applying.

Once I turned 26 I no longer had to submit my parents information for FAFSA, which is a major reason as to why I am F&*^$ING 28 (almost 29) and just now getting my undergrad degree....

I really dont want any aspect of my application to be tied to them. Ill take your advice and see what happens

thanks

Schools can ask for parental information to help determine socioeconomic status for various types of aid, even if it is not reportable to FAFSA. See, for example, under Full Funding here where anyone under age 30 reports it to be considered: Apply for Aid | UCSF Student Financial Aid

Here is a paper in the pharmacy literature that frequently mentions using parental information: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

I understand this is a personal situation for you. Whether you believe it is right to ask for this information or not, I hope that something like this does not get in your way of applying and being successful. It may help you in the long run to report it if they offer favorable support/loans to students without potential parental support or resources for first-generation-to-college students.

Bc I dont want them to know I have a bad relationship with my parents (bc it makes me look like ghetto trash)...
No one is thinking this but you. You may as well start thinking pharmacy schools will look down on you if you dont have your own car thats worth at least $50K.

One of the schools I am applying to is asking me to submit my parent/guardian information. My relationship with my parents was REALLY rough. I have not spoken to them in 8 years, as far as I am concerned they dont exist.

How do I submit this information?

I wont be able to answer many of their questions such as my parents level of education, their occupation, if they are living/ where they are living and etc.

How do I move forward with this school without embarassing myself looking like a ghetto/trashy loser who couldnt keep a relationship with their parents?

thanks

Some healthcare professional programs have what is known as a Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) that is distributed and limited on a first come first serve basis. The legality of qualifying for such a loan is to have an IRS parental background check as well as one for yourself which is done due to principles of the government not your program. I am married with kids and still had to provide information about my folks.

The benefit of the loan is that it has no interests tacked on until the day you graduate (which starting after graduation can be around 5%). As said, it does come as a first come first serve basis or for those in special financial hardship of the wish if they don't qualify for the loan they will be eligible for private scholarships tied into the program and region (which again, may require parental information). I literally pulled the $15k out, stuck it in my online savings account / bonds and collecting the interest until I pay it all back in full before I graduate.

To each their own.

Schools can ask for parental information to help determine socioeconomic status for various types of aid, even if it is not reportable to FAFSA. See, for example, under Full Funding here where anyone under age 30 reports it to be considered: Apply for Aid | UCSF Student Financial Aid

Here is a paper in the pharmacy literature that frequently mentions using parental information: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

I understand this is a personal situation for you. Whether you believe it is right to ask for this information or not, I hope that something like this does not get in your way of applying and being successful. It may help you in the long run to report it if they offer favorable support/loans to students without potential parental support or resources for first-generation-to-college students.

Some healthcare professional programs have what is known as a Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) that is distributed and limited on a first come first serve basis. The legality of qualifying for such a loan is to have an IRS parental background check as well as one for yourself which is done due to principles of the government not your program. I am married with kids and still had to provide information about my folks.

The benefit of the loan is that it has no interests tacked on until the day you graduate (which starting after graduation can be around 5%). As said, it does come as a first come first serve basis or for those in special financial hardship of the wish if they don't qualify for the loan they will be eligible for private scholarships tied into the program and region (which again, may require parental information). I literally pulled the $15k out, stuck it in my online savings account / bonds and collecting the interest until I pay it all back in full before I graduate.

To each their own.

I really appreciate your reply, its been difficult to get help for these types of questions.

Let me elaborate on my situation: I literally do not know if my parents are alive or dead, I spoke to my mom 3 years ago and we never mentioned anything about jobs or financial situation.

What I can say is that in 2011, their financial situation was pretty good, when I first tried to go and attend my local university my expected family contribution was $250k , I did not see a single dime of that from them,

in fact I have not even finished my undergrad degree and I am looking at 80K in debt from student loans (private) , medical debts, and credit card debts. I dont rent a place, I live with friends and if they kick me out id be homeless. I have little to no major source of income aside from working part time as a pharm tech and going to school paying tuition with loans.

With all of that being said, I dont think I would qualify for any first generation college student programs, I think my parents got bachelors degrees at least.

I literally have no idea what to do.. Freaking out..

What will happen if i answer "i dont know" and "unkown" on pharmCAS?

Nothing will happen. Primarily because based on your story, it would be true yes? If you've been independent from your parents for some time then I wouldn't give it a second thought. As for school or the business office that files your FAFSA, either do not include your parents or just put what little info you know. They will not question what you do not know. Should you be accepted they can assist you on how to bypass information you do not know.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing will happen. Primarily because based on your story, it would be true yes? If you've been independent from your parents for some time then I wouldn't give it a second thought. As for school or the business office that files your FAFSA, either do not include your parents or just put what little info you know. They will not question what you do not know. Should you be accepted they can assist you on how to bypass information you do not know.
Thanks for the help

I really appreciate your reply, its been difficult to get help for these types of questions.

Let me elaborate on my situation: I literally do not know if my parents are alive or dead, I spoke to my mom 3 years ago and we never mentioned anything about jobs or financial situation.

What I can say is that in 2011, their financial situation was pretty good, when I first tried to go and attend my local university my expected family contribution was $250k , I did not see a single dime of that from them,

in fact I have not even finished my undergrad degree and I am looking at 80K in debt from student loans (private) , medical debts, and credit card debts. I dont rent a place, I live with friends and if they kick me out id be homeless. I have little to no major source of income aside from working part time as a pharm tech and going to school paying tuition with loans.

With all of that being said, I dont think I would qualify for any first generation college student programs, I think my parents got bachelors degrees at least.

Alright look - you should know that nothing is going to happen if you answer “I don’t know”. The only person, if anyone, that would even look at it would be some 20s something man or woman that is likely preoccupied by refreshing their Facebook page on their phone and thinking about what the best angle is to taking a selfie with themself with the hamburger helper that that are going to cook that night. Then your application would simply be processed with the rest of the stack of applications. No one will even care or raise any concern about your answer to that question.

The only thing that is reviewed anymore is how your committment looks on paper. This means what is your GPA, what was the coursework that you took and how did you take those classes together, and finally a financial projection for the next 4 years will be determined. Essentially it will boil down to can you handle the coursework and do you have the means to pay for the next 4 years?

Your family status has nothing to do with this and you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Just pencil whip those questions and who cares...

If your not willing to pencil whip you won’t make a good pharmacist anyway. maybe you should consider accounting?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright look - you should know that nothing is going to happen if you answer “I don’t know”. The only person, if anyone, that would even look at it would be some 20s something man or woman that is likely preoccupied by refreshing their Facebook page on their phone and thinking about what the best angle is to taking a selfie with themself with the hamburger helper that that are going to cook that night. Then your application would simply be processed with the rest of the stack of applications. No one will even care or raise any concern about your answer to that question.

The only thing that is reviewed anymore is how your committment looks on paper. This means what is your GPA, what was the coursework that you took and how did you take those classes together, and finally a financial projection for the next 4 years will be determined. Essentially it will boil down to can you handle the coursework and do you have the means to pay for the next 4 years?

Your family status has nothing to do with this and you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Just pencil whip those questions and who cares...

If your not willing to pencil whip you won’t make a good pharmacist anyway. maybe you should consider accounting?

thanks for the reply, given the hypercompetitive nature of pharmacy schools I dont want to give them any excuse not to accept me and I am worried that they will be judgemental about my situation (or my current debts and question my ability to pay for school) . My GPA is a 3.64 I did undergrad research and some "grad school" coursework (5000 lvl), worked as a pharm tech, idk how I will do on the pcat but I think I can handle the coursework for pharmacy school.

thanks for the reply, given the hypercompetitive nature of pharmacy schools I dont want to give them any excuse not to accept me and I am worried that they will be judgemental about my situation (or my current debts and question my ability to pay for school) . My GPA is a 3.64 I did undergrad research and some grad school coursework, worked as a pharm tech, idk how I will do on the pcat but I think I can handle the coursework for pharmacy school.

No - it’s not hyper competitive at all.

Reactions: 3 users
thanks for the reply, given the hypercompetitive nature of pharmacy schools I dont want to give them any excuse not to accept me and I am worried that they will be judgemental about my situation (or my current debts and question my ability to pay for school) . My GPA is a 3.64 I did undergrad research and some "grad school" coursework (5000 lvl), worked as a pharm tech, idk how I will do on the pcat but I think I can handle the coursework for pharmacy school.
school is not that competitive to get into anymore - maybe 10 years ago it was - obviously this varies from school to school - your GPA is well above average for those applying.

With absurd pharmacy loans $$$ and no jobs to pay them back, maybe they want you to have a cosigner?

The fact that you think pharmacy schools are hypercompetitve is scary. They are desperate to fill seats right now. Some schools don't require PCAT and accept students with GPAs in the low 2's! Do you know the state of the job market? If you start pharmacy school now then there's a very real chance that you will be unemployed with 200k more in student loans in 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users
=

LOL hypercompetitive nature of pharmacy schools. Who told you this?

The fact that you think pharmacy schools are hypercompetitve is scary. They are desperate to fill seats right now. Some schools don't require PCAT and accept students with GPAs in the low 2's! Do you know the state of the job market? If you start pharmacy school now then there's a very real chance that you will be unemployed with 200k more in student loans in 4 years.

just bc some schools are willing to accept low GPA's doesnt mean the school I am talking to does, in fact the average marticulant prepharmacy GPA of this school was a 3.5. (I am at a 3.47 apparently, idk why they care more about pre pharmacy gpa than real math and science gpa ) so yes it is hyper competitive and while I can understand why some pharmacists are in debt, there is no job market for ppl with bachelors degrees in biology, biochem, or molecular bio. I want to do research with my pharmD and this is the best way to follow that path.

just bc some schools are willing to accept low GPA's doesnt mean the school I am talking to does, in fact the average marticulant prepharmacy GPA of this school was a 3.5. (I am at a 3.47 apparently, idk why they care more about pre pharmacy gpa than real math and science gpa ) so yes it is hyper competitive and while I can understand why some pharmacists are in debt, there is no job market for ppl with bachelors degrees in biology, biochem, or molecular bio. I want to do research with my pharmD and this is the best way to follow that path.

Ok... in all reality I would classify pharmacy school as, “slightly competitive”.. In my mind a couple levels below hyper competitive. That’s just my opinion.

It's not hypercompetitve sorry. You realize that 15k pharmDs graduate per year? It doesn't matter which school you go to. There is 0 percent job growth for the next ten years, this is a fact.

It's not hypercompetitve sorry. You realize that 15k pharmDs graduate per year? It doesn't matter which school you go to. There is 0 percent job growth for the next ten years, this is a fact.
There is also zero percent research being done in the area I want to do research in

idk why they care more about pre pharmacy gpa than real math and science gpa

Could you elaborate on this part? Most of the prerequisites are (ideally) more directly related to the concepts studied in pharmacy school. When they look at your transcript they will be able to see if you struggled in basic biology but did better in advanced biology classes. Other requirements like Microbiology, English, and Public Speaking are things pharmacists use all the time.

Could you elaborate on this part? Most of the prerequisites are (ideally) more directly related to the concepts studied in pharmacy school. When they look at your transcript they will be able to see if you struggled in basic biology but did better in advanced biology classes. Other requirements like Microbiology, English, and Public Speaking are things pharmacists use all the time.

Okay so I did really bad starting out: I made a B in general biology, a B in gen chem II, had to retake ochem bc I got a D the first time.

However..

I have done significantly better with the more upper level courses I have taken (got an A in genetics, biochem, immunology, developmental biology, comparative anatomy, and etc. )

I would say that I did struggle in basic biology and chemistry, but later on with more upper level classes did alot better, my overall math and science gpa is a 3.63

did/ doing undergrad research too

my pre req gpa (just those courses required for pharmacy school) is a 3.47

I am under the impression that schools care more about your pre req GPA and PCAT scores than upper level classes and even first author publications in your name... which to me doesnt seem right..

Okay so I did really bad starting out: I made a B in general biology, a B in gen chem II, had to retake ochem bc I got a D the first time.

However..

I have done significantly better with the more upper level courses I have taken (got an A in genetics, biochem, immunology, developmental biology, comparative anatomy, and etc. )

I would say that I did struggle in basic biology and chemistry, but later on with more upper level classes did alot better, my overall math and science gpa is a 3.63

did/ doing undergrad research too

my pre req gpa (just those courses required for pharmacy school) is a 3.47

I am under the impression that schools care more about your pre req GPA and PCAT scores than upper level classes and even first author publications in your name... which to me doesnt seem right..

It sounds like you have an upward trend, which is good and also something you can't control much at this point in comparison to your essays/LORs etc. Your GPAs are around the averages for pharmacy schools, so I wouldn't worry too much about being cut just because of that.

Just because they might care about prerequisite GPA more doesn't mean they are going to care about the 0.16 GPA difference between your overall and prerequisite GPAs. If they are doing a holistic review they should look at when the grades were lower. Try not to benchmark yourself against others based on one aspect of your application. There are people with higher GPAs who get denied for other reasons.

It sounds like you have an upward trend, which is good and also something you can't control much at this point in comparison to your essays/LORs etc. Your GPAs are around the averages for pharmacy schools, so I wouldn't worry too much about being cut just because of that.

Just because they might care about prerequisite GPA more doesn't mean they are going to care about the 0.16 GPA difference between your overall and prerequisite GPAs. If they are doing a holistic review they should look at when the grades were lower. Try not to benchmark yourself against others based on one aspect of your application. There are people with higher GPAs who get denied for other reasons.

thanks alot for the feedback, I really feel like my publications and writings are what demonstrate competency more than anything else. If anything I hope they look at that and judge my abilities based on that more than anything else. Ill see how I do on the PCAT, thanks alot!

I think you are misinformed to think any pharmacy school is competitive. Pharmacy schools are literally taking anyone and everyone.

That said, you are 28 years old! No school is going to care who your parents are, once you are 28 years old. That question is obviously aimed at younger applicants. I would leave that question blank or just put "not applicable". Because you are 28 years old, it is not applicable. If you were asked in person who your parents, just say that you are invoking your FERPA rights and do not want to discuss your parents. None of this will affect your application, even at your hyperthetical (and it is 100% hyperthetical) "hypercompetitive" pharmacy school.

Average means that an estimated 1/2 of the class got lower than a 3.5, your 3.47 is not a problem. Also, the school doesn't really care more about the pre-pharmacy GPA than the math/science GPA, they are just putting that information out there, to give the impression that their school is more exclusive, then it really is. The admitted student math/science GPA is probably really low (comparatively), so they are hiding that info, since it would show that their school is literally taking anyone and everyone.

If you know you want to go into research, that is great (although getting a PH.D. will be a far, far, far better avenue for research than a Pharm. D.) Or a joint PH.D/Pharm. D. program. Still, while a Pharm. D. is 2nd rate in the research world, it isn't useless. Just don't let yourself get tricked into going to a more expensive school thinking it's more exclusive or has better name recognition or something. And don't stress about getting into pharmacy school, with your GPA (assuming you don't have any literal skeletons in the closet), you should have no problem getting admitted into any pharmacy school that you want.

Average means that an estimated 1/2 of the class got lower than a 3.5, your 3.47 is not a problem. Also, the school doesn't really care more about the pre-pharmacy GPA than the math/science GPA, they are just putting that information out there, to give the impression that their school is more exclusive, then it really is. The admitted student math/science GPA is probably really low (comparatively), so they are hiding that info, since it would show that their school is literally taking anyone and everyone.

If you know you want to go into research, that is great (although getting a PH.D. will be a far, far, far better avenue for research than a Pharm. D.) Or a joint PH.D/Pharm. D. program. Still, while a Pharm. D. is 2nd rate in the research world, it isn't useless. Just don't let yourself get tricked into going to a more expensive school thinking it's more exclusive or has better name recognition or something. And don't stress about getting into pharmacy school, with your GPA (assuming you don't have any literal skeletons in the closet), you should have no problem getting admitted into any pharmacy school that you want.

I was thinking the same thing. If OP was set on just going for research, a Ph.D. would have been the first thing to come to mind so you don't have to take classes tailored towards patient care and drug therapy management.

If you are already buried in debt, have no way to pay for pharmacy school outside of loans and want to do research, a pharmD is likely not going to improve your situation. Like others have stated, admission standards are not nearly as stringent as they once were; most schools are having a hard time finding warm bodies. So getting accepted into a program shouldn't be an issue.

What you should be weighing is the roughly 300k of possible debt upon graduation, a field with 0% expected growth in the next 10 years, underemployment and a degree that isn't research oriented.

I'm not a Ph.D. expert, but aren't there programs that will essential pay you via a stipend to research fields with a paucity of data while earning your doctorate?

Hello! That’s kind of a personal question to answer, but you can call them and explain what you’ve just said above to the person you’ll be calling and see what they are going to say. There is nothing you need to be shamed of in your situation. This is your career and something like that shouldn’t let you look down.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

thanks alot for the reply, its helpful feedback, I am also going to apply a PhD in pharmacology program, but its been hard to find ones in my state. I want to do research on the role of pharmacies in public health. I figured that this type of research would be better for pharmD and the more "hard science" type of research would be best for PhD. I had a BAD experience with one of my undergrad research labs that was so criminally unsafe that I am basically afraid to ever go back to working in BSL2 again, fun fact: OSHA has zero jurisdiction over university labs, so they are as safe as the PI cares them to be.

• Wow
Hello! That’s kind of a personal question to answer, but you can call them and explain what you’ve just said above to the person you’ll be calling and see what they are going to say. There is nothing you need to be shamed of in your situation. This is your career and something like that shouldn’t let you look down.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I have already just filled it out and said "i dont know" thanks for the feedback, its nice to know its not as big of a deal as Ive made it out to be

If you are already buried in debt, have no way to pay for pharmacy school outside of loans and want to do research, a pharmD is likely not going to improve your situation. Like others have stated, admission standards are not nearly as stringent as they once were; most schools are having a hard time finding warm bodies. So getting accepted into a program shouldn't be an issue.

What you should be weighing is the roughly 300k of possible debt upon graduation, a field with 0% expected growth in the next 10 years, underemployment and a degree that isn't research oriented.

I'm not a Ph.D. expert, but aren't there programs that will essential pay you via a stipend to research fields with a paucity of data while earning your doctorate?

I am already buried in debt bc the city I live in is so poor that I cant find any reasonable job with a bachelors degree outside of 1. teaching (40K/ year) or 2. working in diagnostics (also 40K/year).

at this point I have no option left but to take on more debt, medical school is not something I could do, nor is PA/NP. Research is difficult bc if you dont have a background in that field they are reluctant to take you in, id basically be starting from scratch if I wanted to do research.

pharmacy seems like a decent job and something I would enjoy

I am already buried in debt bc the city I live in is so poor that I cant find any reasonable job with a bachelors degree outside of 1. teaching (40K/ year) or 2. working in diagnostics (also 40K/year).

at this point I have no option left but to take on more debt, medical school is not something I could do, nor is PA/NP. Research is difficult bc if you dont have a background in that field they are reluctant to take you in, id basically be starting from scratch if I wanted to do research.

Just so you are aware, there is a high probability you will end up in a retail setting if you even find a job after you graduate. If you are okay with what kind of work that they do, go for it. You already mentioned you are aware of the job market situation so I'm not even gonna touch on that.

Just so you are aware, there is a high probability you will end up in a retail setting if you even find a job after you graduate. If you are okay with what kind of work that they do, go for it. You already mentioned you are aware of the job market situation so I'm not even gonna touch on that.
I dont mind it, small towns where I grew up in have opportunity

There are very few research opportunities for PharmDs. The vast majority of PharmDs end up in RETAIL.

1570604652304.png

• Love

PA/NP is not more difficult than pharmacy school.

Good luck finding a research position with a PharmD. You’ve obviously done much research on this plan of yours.

I suggest you get a job as a Pharmacy technition to get a closer look on what you want to dedicate your life to. Let me know what you think.

PA/NP is not more difficult than pharmacy school.

Good luck finding a research position with a PharmD. You’ve obviously done much research on this plan of yours.

I suggest you get a job as a Pharmacy technition to get a closer look on what you want to dedicate your life to. Let me know what you think.
Done both of those things :)