parents coming to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossy flossy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if schools look negatively at people who bring their parent(s) along to the tour part of the interview day. I know some schools, like Buffalo, have invited my parents to attend, but I haven't heard of any schools that won't allow them to come. Just wondering if this was poorly viewed by some schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if schools look negatively at people who bring their parent(s) along to the tour part of the interview day. I know some schools, like Buffalo, have invited my parents to attend, but I haven't heard of any schools that won't allow them to come. Just wondering if this was poorly viewed by some schools.

Minnesota doesn't allow it. To show that you have grown and matured over your years, I wouldn't bring them with although they might be investing in you. I've never seen any parents on the 4 interviews I have been on.

My mom came with me on the 5 hour drive but did not go on tour. I saw others getting dropped off/picked up by parents, but none on the tour for either of my 2 interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine brought her mom to the interview. This was last year at Midwestern. She now currently goes there and I don't.

Clearly it didn't affect her, and maybe I should of brought mine :)

i don't think it matters if you bring along someone at buffalo. when i interviewed there, we all hung out in one room. there were some people's parents and spouses there, but i dont think anybody even paid attention to which spouse belonged to which person. my mom flew up to buffalo with me, but i had her hang out at the hotel. i think that was funner for her. if your parents or spouses do go, there's not much they can do besides sit around for four or five hours. it'd be nicer for them to tour the city or visit the coffee shop across the street or something.

1. Are they invited?
2. Are they subsidizing your education?

At one of my interviews the applicant's dad came knocking during one of the presentations. They had to stop the whole thing and the presenter asked her if she had the keys to her dad's car.... I'd try to avoid situations like that

1. Are they invited?
2. Are they subsidizing your education?

1. some schools invited me to bring parents, buffalo and uconn, but not most.
and 2. i will be paying for school through lots of loans :eek:

Its nice to have a second opinion and help weigh the pros and cons. Im not someone who is immature or heavily dependent on mom and dad, but i don't want it to look that way. The way i see it though, the decision of where i go is not just going to affect me but my family as well, its nice to have their input. but i guess not necessary.

thanks for all the advice..appreciated :)

1. some schools invited me to bring parents, buffalo and uconn, but not most.
and 2. i will be paying for school through lots of loans :eek:

Its nice to have a second opinion and help weigh the pros and cons. Im not someone who is immature or heavily dependent on mom and dad, but i don't want it to look that way. The way i see it though, the decision of where i go is not just going to affect me but my family as well, its nice to have their input. but i guess not necessary.
thanks for all the advice..appreciated :)

There is a reason why some ds invite parents/spouse to interview and it is not because they feel that applicants need someone to drive them to the site.

I would say bring them to the city if you watn their support and maybe tour the school the next day or afterward with them. But def not during the interview process itself.

that way you get the best of both! I would want my parents to see the school... but at an appropriate time.

i dont think it would affect anything... but its NON sense. why would you? unless they push you to bring them.

Hm, when the UIC and SIU dental school deans came to visit my school, they said that we shouldn't bring our parents with.... just to show our maturity and stuff... but it's cool if some of the schools actually invited your parents to come.

I'll probably ask my parents to drive me there but not take them on the tour and stuff. At least they can get a good look at the campus and area as well....:rolleyes:

I love my parents but I would not want them hanging around while I'm doing an interview. But I would let them take me/pick me up. You could schedule another tour on another day so that you and your parents could tour it together.