Parents make $100k+bbut not helping

Started by Pharmacceptance
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

P

Pharmacceptance

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tried to do a search, but the one post that was relevant didn't include all my questions. So let me get to it...


My parents make over $100k a year ($120k to be exact), but my dad told me that at this point he just isn't able to help me out due to recent problems. From what I've gathered, I probably won't be able to max out my stafford loans and instead may have to pick up some private loans. Is this entirely true? If so, my next problem is that I don't have a good co-signer, so will that be a problem? Is there any way I can file as an independent, considering I'll pretty much be on my own?

So many questions.. so little time.. any help is greatly appreciated though!
 
Thank you! Here I was looking for all the wrong info. Didn't even stop to think to research if I was a dependent or not >.<
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It doesn't matter. The only difference this makes is your eligibility for campus need-based aid including perkins loans and some grants/scholarships. You will be eligible for the full amount of staffords as well as any grad plus up to your cost of attendance.
 
As already mentioned, the only income/assets the FAFSA looks at for graduate level programs is your own.