Parents moving to establish residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway_prevet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about the IS/OOS regulations because I don't have an IS vet school. If I were to be accepted into a vet school, and my parents moved to that state, which schools would allow me to gain IS tuition eventually? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My parents moved us back to where I grew up when I was a sophomore in high school partly so I could be IS for all my college, but that was way before I ever started undergrad. I’m not sure your parents moving would be beneficial for vet school since you’re considered an independent student for the purpose of vet school loans? Better for you to take a gap year and establish residency prior to applying by working full time or whatever the States require than uproot your entire family on a maybe, imo.

I don't know if this is helpful or not. My cousin went OOS for undergrad as his parents lived in WA but he went to school in OR. His parents moved to OR right when he was graduating. When he applied to dental school, he was then considered IS for OR. I think it depends on whether you rely on your parents financially and are on their insurance etc. I go to school in the Midwest but I am still IS for OR because I am on their insurance, registered to vote in OR, have an OR driver's license, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies by state I think but in my state you have to work full time for atleast one year or be a resident for a few years. You can ask schools about it.

I don't know a whole lot about the IS/OOS regulations because I don't have an IS vet school. If I were to be accepted into a vet school, and my parents moved to that state, which schools would allow me to gain IS tuition eventually? Thank you!

From your post, it sounds like you plan to get accepted, then have your parents establish residency? FYI some schools (like UF) make you sign an agreement where your tuition is locked in for the four years. So I’m an OOS student and signed an agreement I would pay ~45k each year when I first started. There are some schools (I know Ohio state does for example) that allow you to establish residency while being in vet school. So you’d pay OOS one year, then if you follow the restrictions (you can’t leave the state for more than a certain number of days) you can then be reclassified as in state. As Med mentioned, asking each school is the best way to figure it out, but I think in many schools you would need to establish residency prior to starting (and you should ask each school what that entails as well).

I'm in this situation. But your residency has to be established before you apply. I became a VA resident due to parents moving a year before