Part 2 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about NBDE part 2 scores. If you're applying to a specialty program straight out of school, they obviously don't get your part 2 score in time so it doesn't make much of a difference. But what if you do a GPR or private practice for a year and then apply to a specialty, how important is it to do well on part 2? Do they emphasize it as much as part 1? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dc-10 said:
Hi, I have a question about NBDE part 2 scores. If you're applying to a specialty program straight out of school, they obviously don't get your part 2 score in time so it doesn't make much of a difference. But what if you do a GPR or private practice for a year and then apply to a specialty, how important is it to do well on part 2? Do they emphasize it as much as part 1? Thanks

They really don't, but you don't want to stink it up either. If you keep your step two above 85 or so you should be fine.

Jediwendell said:
They really don't, but you don't want to stink it up either. If you keep your step two above 85 or so you should be fine.

I think the Part I is more closely looked at than Part II. I didn't get asked about my Part II scores. FYI, it is much harder to get a 90+ on Part II than on Part I. The score conversion thingy on the back of the score reports says something like 20% of test takers earn a 90+ on Part I, but only 4% earn a 90+ on Part II>

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a 86% on my part II in 3 weeks of prep....
But i heard for Ortho you need 90% and above.......
I had applied for Ortho 05...dint receive a single call...Only San antonio waitlisted me....but it never happened...
Try not to think of it...

Another univ wanted me to take part II and tell them my score.. so i had to rush it up and give it in 3 weeks...
But then the chairman over there says... it wud have been better if u'd scored above 90....

So dont know if I should take it again....

Any suggestions??????????

That is a bunch of crap. If you got an 86, look at the percentile range on the back of the score card. a 91 is 98.9th percentile. I bet an 86 is above 90th percentile. Don't take it again. Look at the other stuff in your application that may need honing.