Are CBSE scores lower than last few cycles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterWallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
May sound odd, because we know they've generally been trending up, but most people I know who matched straight out of school this year were in the range of high 60-mid 70s.

I didnt know anyone personally back in 2022, but reading that thread on here, it seems like everyone was scoring the equivalent of 75-80+, while getting less interviews comparatively

Members don't see this ad.

The score system changed last year. A 70 nowadays is like a 75-80 old score. Or so I’ve heard.

Reactions: 1 user
May sound odd, because we know they've generally been trending up, but most people I know who matched straight out of school this year were in the range of high 60-mid 70s.

I didnt know anyone personally back in 2022, but reading that thread on here, it seems like everyone was scoring the equivalent of 75-80+, while getting less interviews comparatively
Yeah add 4-5 points to get from the EPC score back to the old 2 digit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough to know for sure but perhaps. Covid gave an unprecedented amount of free time to grind for the test but we could see a return to “steady state”

Reactions: 3 users
Tough to know for sure but perhaps. Covid gave an unprecedented amount of free time to grind for the test but we could see a return to “steady state”

Lol 80-something EPCs we’re getting thrown around like it was nothing. That’s wild.

Covid is undoubtably the reason for a blimp that lingered post-pandamania

Just a D2 lurker but does seem like big Covid bump and things have stabilized where a 70%+ EPC is a great score

My goal/cutoff while studying was a 70EPC. It’s a solid score on the old 2-digit (75-ish) and it also passes the eye test for PDs and residents who are used to the old score and wanted around a 70 on the old scoring.

Also, if there has been a drop in scores since Covid it just kind of proves that the CBSE past a certain score is more reflective of time available to study vs capability/intelligence. But that’s generally true for all standardized exams.

Reactions: 1 user
My goal/cutoff while studying was a 70EPC. It’s a solid score on the old 2-digit (75-ish) and it also passes the eye test for PDs and residents who are used to the old score and wanted around a 70 on the old scoring.

Also, if there has been a drop in scores since Covid it just kind of proves that the CBSE past a certain score is more reflective of time available to study vs capability/intelligence. But that’s generally true for all standardized exams.
Likely true to some degree. Regardless, a strong score is still an impressive show of effort, dedication, and ability, especially since many dental students are self-teaching medicine that was never taught to them while simultaneously maintaining good grades/class rank, clinic.

Reactions: 1 users