Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuchuca

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find any good info about part 2 examination.
Lots of questions, but no answers.
For those who have already taken, please post your experience, like:

Material used
Computer or Paper (if one is easier than other and why)
Most difficult subjects
Personal experiences about the test.

For those who have been studying, also add your opinions.

My personal experience:

I studied the Kaplan book. It took me a while to finish because it has too much detail , more then you really need. In my opinion it is a good reference, especially for Pathology ;)

Dental decks was second step (1312 cards). I made an effort and finished them in two weeks (note I will be working part time till next week). I really like the decks, because give me a better view on how the exam will be :D

Now, I am reviewing the decks ( 70 cards a day, no matter what), reading my notes and taking the ADA reprint tests.

I do not have any day off and I will study full time in November.
Sometimes I feel like stopping, but I have lots of optimist notes all over my house. So even when I go grab something in the fridge, there is a note there to remember me about how good I will feel when I get my license :laugh: It is working pretty good specially the note where I put the salary number , that's a good incentive :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway. Hope to hear from you guys. ( This is my time off. I am human ;) ) GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Chuchuca
So even when I go grab something in the fridge, there is a note there to remember me about how good I will feel when I get my license :laugh: It is working pretty good specially the note where I put the salary number , that's a good incentive :laugh: :laugh:

Chuchuca, are you going for the bench test or planning to go to school?

Note: I haven't taken part 2, so can't help you. :p

Hi Meggs.

At this point I do not know. Depend on my score and governador decisions about the extension of the law. I am not sure if I will be back to school, for lots of reasons, especially age and money (paying bak the loan). So, let's see.

But I am amazed how come nobody posted a thought about the exam. That is really something :(

Thank you for answering ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
well, maybe the few that have actually taken part 2 around here, didn't answer, 'cause just recently we talked about it. do a search and you'll find the recent thread about it.

hopefully arnold will go ahead and pass the bill.... good luck!

hi chuchuka
i m also preparing 4 part-2,,,but not so hard,,,i dont know why but i have become very lazy in these days,,,;)
i m planning to take it around 3rd week of nevember,,,
best of luck to u .:)

hi all

part two is comprehensive test,and it depends more than 60%on your knowledge you ,ve got during dental school, but for some subjects like behavioral sciences and occupational safety most of our references were different,therefore,you need to concentrate on these materials.
I received high scores for 10 subjects as well as case based item ,but unfortunately i got low for occupational safety.
total part two was 89

Hi Foreign dentist,

Congratulations!!thats an awesome score ,could you please throw some light on what materials one has to refer for part2.

Thanks.

hello foreign dentist,
i have heared that in part 2 we don't get individual scores for each subject(as in part 1) but we get grades,pls throw some light on this aspect.:)

Hi Chuchuca

I m also preparing for part 2 but i just started so i can't help u much.. may b u can help me..

i didn't heared abt the kaplan notes for part 2.. i m preparing from decks and some text book which i used in my school...
mainly for pharmac , perio and o.p.

hope this will help u

I have been trying to find any good info about part 2 examination.
Lots of questions, but no answers.
For those who have already taken, please post your experience, like:

Material used
Computer or Paper (if one is easier than other and why)
Most difficult subjects
Personal experiences about the test.

For those who have been studying, also add your opinions.

My personal experience:

I studied the Kaplan book. It took me a while to finish because it has too much detail , more then you really need. In my opinion it is a good reference, especially for Pathology ;)

Dental decks was second step (1312 cards). I made an effort and finished them in two weeks (note I will be working part time till next week). I really like the decks, because give me a better view on how the exam will be :D

Now, I am reviewing the decks ( 70 cards a day, no matter what), reading my notes and taking the ADA reprint tests.

I do not have any day off and I will study full time in November.
Sometimes I feel like stopping, but I have lots of optimist notes all over my house. So even when I go grab something in the fridge, there is a note there to remember me about how good I will feel when I get my license :laugh: It is working pretty good specially the note where I put the salary number , that's a good incentive :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway. Hope to hear from you guys. ( This is my time off. I am human ;) ) GOOD LUCK
[/QUOTE]

Hi Chuchuca

I m also preparing for part 2 but i just started so i can't help u much.. may b u can help me..

i didn't heared abt the kaplan notes for part 2.. i m preparing from decks and some text book which i used in my school...
mainly for pharmac , perio and o.p.

hope this will help u

part 2 is not like part 1. all questions are mixed up ,and you can not find a seperate section for all subjects .in computer test, it is a two day exam, and you have a plenty of time to take test

the breakdown by part 2 subject area is just for your information
and they are not going to send them to dental schools or board.

on part 2 result you have 3 different scores
1)higher than national average H
2)at the national average A
3)lower than national average L

I just studied Dental Deck ,and asda releases , specially the last release 95.

Hi everyone.

I know it is more knowledge from dental school, but the trick thing is, once you out of school you can do things differently and some of the questions refer to the way you learned not the way you do it. I also do not have a large vocabulary, I started to learn real English 3 years ago, still need a dictionary. And I have been a dentist for 14years (Pedo). It is not a excuse, but I need to study harder and I am fine with that ;) .If I made part1, I can make this one too :p

Thank you guys for the information. Let's keep our faith :)

And thank you Meggs, I am praying for Arnold's decision every day.

....And thank you Meggs, I am praying for Arnold's decision every day.
You sure should. If I prayed, I'll do it too. Too bad I don't. :p :laugh:

*God slaps Megg's hands, "bad catholic, bad girl, bad catholic, bad girl, bad catholic"* ;) :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Well,

you can always send us good thoughts, otherwise I will slap your hands personally :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by foreign dentist
I just studied Dental Deck ,and asda releases , specially the last release 95.

hi foreign dentist,
was that 1993 paper rlease in 1995(II-K) or other??

hi priti

the last two released are so important.those are like pattern for your future exam, I mean ,they are not the same questions which you will encounter during exam, but it gives you foresight .
near the exam try to work more on the samples of multiple questions which have been released.

another thing ,I think if you have dental deck card ,they sent you
some pictures of pathologic lesions,it will help you alot on case based item exam and pathology subject as well.

take it easy .I ,m sure you will be successful on part 2 exam

thank u foreign dentist..:)
priti.

Thank you foreign dentist, for the support.

I have a question. I am doing fine in my studies but pharmacoly :mad: . I am lost. Any advice? I would appreciate :)

hi chuchuca,
Dont worry about pharmacology,i too felt it was too tough,but in exam u will feel its easy.u read the decks and try to read the classifications from the text book.in the exam they give all direct questions.
my part 2 score is 90.

Hi dr_anie, great score. Congratulations :clap:

Sorry but which text book did you use? I have been using the kaplan, is that a good one?

hi chuchuca,
i used tripathi,kaplan is also good but ,in kaplan everyhting s not covered.

dr_anie,

sorry if I sound ignorant, but I have never heard about tripathi. I search on the net, but I did not come out with much. Can you please be more specific.
Thank you

dr_anie,

sorry if I sound ignorant, but I have never heard about tripathi. I search on the net, but I did not come out with much. Can you please be more specific.
Thank you

Is it an Indian book? 'cause "tripathi" sure sounds weird to me. :confused:

I guess it is Indian. Anyway, any suggestion on good review books for pharmaco? :confused:

Originally posted by meggs
Is it an Indian book? 'cause "tripathi" sure sounds weird to me. :confused:

yeh,,,this is indian book..:laugh:

Hi foreign dentist or anyone who knows,

for the part 1 we knew about how many right answers we should have to have a pass score. What about for part 2, is there any info about it or is just the H,A,L thing? If so, how can we achieve them?

I have been trying to find info, but I couldn't.

Thank you

You should ask this in the Dental forum, maybe someone around there will know.

Thank you Meggs :D

Chuchuca you should post this links in the first sticky thread "Links of interest..."

Sorry, too much going on in my mind :laugh: not thinking :rolleyes:

Hi Chuchuca and Meggs,

Part I is graded on a curve but Part II is graded by "a standard setting committee determines the score scale by means of a criterion-referenced method. although conversion scales are established in terms of reference group performance, those conversion scales, once established, are uniformly applied." That is a quote off of the back of my wife's Part II score sheet from the ADA. And I thought that I was sometimes too wordy.

So Chuchuca, if you do really badly in Pharmacology you can still pass the entire exam. Whew! What a load off of your shoulders. Coincidentally, my wife got either H or L on each of the parts, no Averages? Sometimes, you either really know something or you are just perplexed.

Scott

Hi ..

I was wondering when ADA will send the detailed marks for part 2.

Is it with the result letter ? or a separate letter , in a different day through the mail?

OR the individuals should request otherwise would not come?

Thanks.

awke...when they send the results theyw ould also give you your marks...just one mail with the results as well as the marks:p

Sorry but what do marks mean ? :confused:

Hi Chuchuca, dentisthusband,

Well thanks for all the info u provide u r doing a great job and chuchuca the sites u gave r very useful..

I too m preparing for part 2 exam..Pharmac really seems difficult.
I wanted to know about the kaplan material ,i only have one book of kaplan about 300 pages.Is it sufficient. Is it useful for the exam ...?

response is appreciated.
thanks

:)

Hi itsmyworld,

I also have this book and in my opinion it is helpful, especially in Pharmaco and Pathology. The problem, in my opinion, is that it has too much information sometimes, but I really like the NOTEs on the side of the pages.

As I said before, I have been using the decks as well, for me, they are easier to understand and once you get used to them, all you need is review. And old exams are essential.

Anyway, every material that you can reach is useful.

;)

Thanks for the reply ,though I wasn't prompt from my side.

Anyways, I meant the marks by subject..

As it said before,the score sheat will mention in the front of the

subject only "H, A,and L " not how much you score that subject as

it is in Part 1.

So, my question was how a person can know how much s(h)e scored in a particular subject?

Does he has to request to be sent ? Or wait till it arrives?

I hope it is clear ?

thanks agian...

awke,
in part 2 u don't get seprate marks for each subject as in part 1.only thing u get is the average score of part 2 and individual grades as H,A, L for each subject.
that's it. hope it is clear now!:)

I remember someone mentioned you can get the detail of how

much you get each subject, but didn't mention how? And that is

what I am looking for?:love:

hey....all....am sorry, i didnt even know that this thread existed till now....i am sure that ill benefit from this...well, i have a request (especially to chuchuca and foreign dentist).....can i obtain the qstn paper series "K" and any subsequently released qstn papers from the ADA from you'll?
if so, how do we proceed.....?
thanks in advance.
K'jal

Hi KAJALKIRAN,

I have the k test which is 1995. I do not know if any other test was released, if anybody knows, please inform us. Well, I can make a copy for you, but I need to check how much will cost.

How's everybody study going? I am on the count down 17 days to go :eek:

please check u r PM .
thanks .

hey chuchuca ..please check yur pm

Now is official, I received my admittance ticket today.
It is kind of scary :p

I have a question:

In the computer base test the question are selected randomly. What about the paper? Are they separated to subject or follow the computer base pattern?

Thank you.

I found the answer. It was right in front of my eyes in the canditate's guide page 11 :oops:
Randomly.

hi guys!
i m planning to take part 2, paper -based, in march end.
i haven't really geared up & started reading for it.
cld anyone suggest, if i start now, will i be able to get prepared by march end for the part 2 ?
awaiting feedback.
thanx a ton,

smiledentist

Chuchuca,

Please check your PM