Part 3 NBEO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeod2583

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the skills are graded themselves; the objectives that we got are so vague. I.e. at school, we are told to perform BIO and hold a near full/full view of the retina for 2 seconds minimum. NBEO doesn't say anything about the quality of the view/how full the lens has to be. When doing slit lamp, how important do you believe it is to maintain focus on what you are looking at. What if the view goes in and out of clarity? Closing 1 eye makes slit lamp so much harder and it handicaps students from doing their best on the exam. (please keep rude/snide comments to yourself on this post. i know a lot of students felt part 3 was easy, but for some others, taking it away from their home school and dealing with new equipment made the test challenging)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how the skills are graded themselves; the objectives that we got are so vague. I.e. at school, we are told to perform BIO and hold a near full/full view of the retina for 2 seconds minimum. NBEO doesn't say anything about the quality of the view/how full the lens has to be. When doing slit lamp, how important do you believe it is to maintain focus on what you are looking at. What if the view goes in and out of clarity? Closing 1 eye makes slit lamp so much harder and it handicaps students from doing their best on the exam. (please keep rude/snide comments to yourself on this post. i know a lot of students felt part 3 was easy, but for some others, taking it away from their home school and dealing with new equipment made the test challenging)

I'm a third year so I haven't taken the test.. I would think that it's very important to maintain focus. I'm pretty sure you can establish clarity at the beginning of slit lamp (meaning, you can establish focus on a structure such as the base of the lashes and ask them if it's in focus...please correct me if I'm wrong). After the initial focusing, they can't tell you whether or not they have a CLEAR view but they can tell you whether or not they have a view at all. At least that way, you can remain binocular during 90/78. I agree with you that closing one eye during slit lamp is more difficult. Since you establish clarity at the beginning, if it's clear to you it should be clear to the proctor. At school, they stress to us to frequently ask the proctor if they have a view.

At school, this is how they suggest we do BIO on boards:
- tell the patient where to look
-get a full view of the retina in the lens (we've been told they are NOT looking for us to get out to ora or anything, they prefer a FULL lens view of mid periphery)
-Ask the proctor - "Do you have a view"
-Identify any structures we see and comment on the health (ex: "I see a long ciliary nerve...no holes, tears or breaks")
-Move on the the next direction of gaze and repeat

From what I understand they're revamping Part III starting with our class (2012) so the outlines that are online now won't be exactly the same for future classes. I'm sure we'll still have to do all the same skills but things may be switched around a little bit, or they may have more specific guidelines. For right now, everything is outlined on optometry.org including the scoring (some skills are weighed more heavily than others)

Message me.