Part I Scores & specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wongton78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a survey together on part I board scores, specialty programs students were accepted to and at which institution. My hope is that we can find out what can of scores we need to get into the school we like and also what specialty. I will average the scores with the institution and post it up.
It doesn't have to be you personally, it can be of anyone you know that got into a specialty and the Part I score they got.
Here's what i've compiled so far. It's short so i need everyones help. :)

Specialty-------School-----------Part I score
Endo---------- UPenn-------------96
Endo-----------Columbia----------98
Ortho----------UCSF--------------95
OMS-----------St. Luke's(NY)------89

Members don't see this ad.

are those average scores?

Sorry these are scores and schools of Individuals i know.

Members don't see this ad :)
wongton78 said:
I'm trying to get a survey together on part I board scores, specialty programs students were accepted to and at which institution. My hope is that we can find out what can of scores we need to get into the school we like and also what specialty. I will average the scores with the institution and post it up.
It doesn't have to be you personally, it can be of anyone you know that got into a specialty and the Part I score they got.
Here's what i've compiled so far. It's short so i need everyones help. :)

Specialty-------School-----------Part I score
Endo---------- UPenn-------------96
Endo-----------Columbia----------98
Ortho----------UCSF--------------95
OMS-----------St. Luke's(NY)------89

columbia ortho - 95
u penn endo - 94 (or 96....forgot)
ucsf oms - 94, 95, 98 (i know 3 individuals)
mt sinai oms - 92, 90

basically, anything over 90 gives u a good shot at a speciality.

Very informative thread :) way to go buddy! :thumbup:

97 - parkland oms
92, 90 - UF oms
94 - UF endo
89 - UF perio
94 - UF ortho

94 - ortho -- U of W
96 - perio -- UConn
94 - endo -- Columbia
97 - endo -- UCLA
96 - endo -- UCLA
98 - omfs -- Parkland (6 year)
98 - ortho -- U of Maryland
92 - endo -- UPenn
94 - ortho -- UMDNJ
98 - pedo -- Harvard
95 - ortho -- Boston U
97 - omfs -- UCSF (6-7 year)
88 - omfs -- Lincoln (4 year) (she externed there over the summer the year of application..I think this helps a lot)
94 - omfs -- Cornell (4 year)

The list could go on, but generally speaking, pretty much EVERYBODY I know that is in specialty has a score of 90+. Getting in WITHOUT at least a 90+ is really the exception with the simple reason being that there are so many strong applicants for so few spots. Of course, there is some variation as to how stiff the competition is depending on specialty, but hopefully, I got my point across. Although 90+ is pretty much needed, I know a good number of people that didn't get into programs that had 90+ board scores as well, but know of only 2 people that got in with below 90 and they were high 80's. Point being that 90+ is really more of a starting point and not a guarantee unless you happen to know some people in the right places. It goes without saying that a strong overall application is needed. (rank, etc., research, extracurriculars, etc..,all that good stuff). So if you want to consider specialty, shoot for above 90 to really give yourself a chance.

My God! :eek:
These are insane scores!

Also could you add GPA and if possible rank(an estimate for both will do just fine)?

I wanted to add GPA and class rank but a lot of schools don't use rankings and some schools are pass/fail.
Thanks to everyone that replied. Please anymore scores and specialties???...C'mon we need to hear some miracle stories too... :laugh:

Wow these are some high scores. I really I get into a speciality program.

sorry, no miracles

95....ortho....UCSF
90....ortho....Columbia

Hey guys,

Instead of posting the typical 90+ scores that are accepted, why not post some odd ball scores? Something like 85 getting into ortho, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doggie said:
Hey guys,

Instead of posting the typical 90+ scores that are accepted, why not post some odd ball scores? Something like 85 getting into ortho, etc.

Good idea, since the converse point has already been illustrated in great fashion with only a couple of posts.

89 - OMFS - matched at UIC - Nova graduate
89 - Ortho - matched at UPenn - Nova graduate

thanks Yah-E, believe it or not that was encouraging. :)
But also please add any scores no matter how high or low.. that way we can get a honest idea of the scores students need. I will also include hi and low scores for each school with the survey. I will post the results next week. Again, thanks to everyone that contributed.

88 - Ortho - Univ. of Rochester (it might be 89, can't remember)
86 - OMS - Univ. at Buffalo

But both of these applicants were already well known by the respective departments prior to application.

Those of u into peds....

93...peds....columbia

but hey, don't let the numbers fool you. if you've got other assets, use it! I'm gonna get a boob job before my interviews! :p

Do you need general dentistry experience before applying to specialize, or do most applicants just apply and enter right out of D-school?

tooth_sleuth said:
Those of u into peds....

93...peds....columbia

but hey, don't let the numbers fool you. if you've got other assets, use it! I'm gonna get a boob job before my interviews! :p

thats pretty ridiculous to even anticipate an admission based on yur "other assets"..am pretty sure the rate of lust in US hasn't reached that high, that the admissions committee would consider the size of breasts, butt or penis!

BiOGoly said:
Do you need general dentistry experience before applying to specialize, or do most applicants just apply and enter right out of D-school?

It can be likened to going to dental school from undergrad--most applicants apply and then go right into specialty training. Some, however, work for a number of years and then reapply.

As far as what schools require, I did find a couple of Endo prorams that REQUIRED that applicants have either 1+ years working as dentists or complete a GPR/AEGD prior to matriculation.

Hey, one thing I noticed in these posts is that there are only a couple of times that Pedo and the respective score is mentioned. Ofcourse Ortho/endo/OMS are the most popular specialties, but doesn't pedo come anywhere.. would like to know the Part 1 trends for Pedo..

86% Ortho Vanderbilt

hey guys
i would like to know all the factors that matter to enter a spaciality programme!!Is the part 1 score a solo factor ??or anything else that matters apart from part 1 scires

Part I sure does play an important factor. However, I believe that if you want to get into top notch schools, you need something else.

For instance, if u go to a program that requires GRE scores, you will have to take the GRE, score well (>600 for verbal, etc) to get into some of those programs.
These GRE and NDBE I scores are even more important if your school is on the pass fail thing, and have no class ranking.

And those numbers are insane. Feel like hitting the books now.

ortho (UT Houston) 93, 92, 98
ortho (San Antonio) 91, 99
endo (St Louis) 98
endo (San Antonio) 99, 98
OMS (San Antonio) 94*2

*the 93 was #1 in her class, the 92 was her class president, the 91 got in on the second try, after not getting in the first time he did the fellowship at UF and reapplied

Tinkerbell, the # I always hear for GRE is 1200 minumum for ortho - but I've not heard it broken down by V and Q - as you said >600 is good for V but what about Q? (math section)

Smilee,

I think NBDE I and GRE scores (if your speciality needs it) are impt. to get the foot in the door, i.e. interview--it's hard to stand out--after all, there's plenty of other qualified candidates out there who've done the research, externships, ya da ya da, etc. just like you. But once you get the interview, many residents tell me it's a manner of your personality (and boob/penis/butt size :laugh: C'mon people, lighten' up!!) and how the school thinks you will fit in with the program. At that point, a 91 board score candidate may not be all that different from a 97 board score candidate.

tooth_sleuth said:
Smilee,

I think NBDE I and GRE scores (if your speciality needs it) are impt. to get the foot in the door, i.e. interview--it's hard to stand out--after all, there's plenty of other qualified candidates out there who've done the research, externships, ya da ya da, etc. just like you. But once you get the interview, many residents tell me it's a manner of your personality (and boob/penis/butt size :laugh: C'mon people, lighten' up!!) and how the school thinks you will fit in with the program. At that point, a 91 board score candidate may not be all that different from a 97 board score candidate.

Which specialities require GRE scores?

Ortho, Perio, Endo, off the top of my head. Keep in mind not every program requires it, it's usually the programs that also offer a Masters need it.

What really is the difference between a program that offers the masters and a program that doesn't? Why bother with a masters? I dont' get it. Can anyone explain this?

SillyRabbit said:
What really is the difference between a program that offers the masters and a program that doesn't? Why bother with a masters? I dont' get it. Can anyone explain this?

let's you add a couple more letters to the end of your name... :D also, the public perception that you may have had a little more training...

i say go for the masters while you are at it - no harm!

you pretty much should get one if you ever want to teach from what i hear.
about the GRE and ortho: not every program needs it, even some giving masters dont require it - about 1/2 from my experience

If you really want to specialize and don't have good scores, consider the military as a career. The have their own speciality programs and it looks awesome on any resume. the catch- 4 years doing gp work before you are eligable. :eek: