Part-Time Employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binnieb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a recent liberal arts college grad. I majored in the humanities.

I'm relocating to Boston and will begin taking premedical requirements in the fall.

I am looking for part-time employment in healthcare or science related field.

What types of positions should I look (limited research and science background) and apply for?

Thanks in advance,

B.

Members don't see this ad.

I've already done a search on SDN! :)

More advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

B.

Maybe give a post more than 10 hours on a Friday night before bumping - how's that for advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I am a recent liberal arts college grad. I majored in the humanities.

I'm relocating to Boston and will begin taking premedical requirements in the fall.

I am looking for part-time employment in healthcare or science related field.

What types of positions should I look (limited research and science background) and apply for?

Thanks in advance,

B.

You can always look into some type of research. There are usually part and full time positions within clinical research. Some require a background, but there are a few that you might find that will train you with all you need to know for the experience. I would check listings at local Universities/hospitals that focus on medical research. I would also check to see if the school you are at has a student employment board or e-mail list for employment. I found a research position (I have limited research experience as well) through an e-mail from the post bac I will be attending in the Fall.

You might also consider positions at nearby hospitals. Some hospitals near me have positions for patient care personnel, which would allow for patient contact. Becoming an EMT is always an option, but it seems to me that a lot of people seem do this. The EMT would require a cert/classes. I hope this helps you in your search. Good Luck!!

I do not know your science background. Your degree is in Liberal Arts, and you have not taken any medical pre-req courses yet. If you have not taken a lot of science then it may be easier to get a job in the health care field. Then you can start knocking out the high level science courses ( biochem, human genome, etc.) and your capstones (if your school has those) and then you can find a research position a lot easier. I would look at going to a hospital and asking about on the job training for technical positions, like ER tech, or Patient Care tech. Jobs like that do not require a program or license and you get on the job training. Some may want some experience but nursing homes are always desperate for help with patient care. You could get 6 months experience and then have that under your belt to transition to a hospital or clinic where you will get even more on the job experience. Just a thought.