Part time ER doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to know is it possible to be a part time ER doctor. If I get into medical school, I think I might want to be an ER physician but I can't see myself doing it forever since I want to explore other things in life.

Would it be possible, for instance, to be an ER doctor from fall to spring and then in the summer teach English literature classes at a junior college or something?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to your question is yes. The physicians that I know who do this are generally locum tenens (basically substitute doctors). These guys work part time or part of the year travelling around a region particular region filling in for other docs.

I'm not sure how malpractice insurance or other benefits work, and would be very concerned about not having any job stability, but this may be your best option.

check this website out: www.nalto.org/

I would also suggest that you do some pretty serious soul searching and make sure that medicine is what you REALLY want to do. Med school and residency is not a cakewalk and today's doc really needs to love what they're doing to be happy. EM affords you the opportunity to have your choice of lifestyle, but you will work you a** off and if you don't love it, you'll be miserable.

my $0.02

Thanks very much I'll check out the site.

The thing is I do want to practice medicine and want to do so consistently for a number of years. However, I'd just like to know if 20-25 years down the road that I had the option to work part-time while pursuing other endeavors.

absolutely...
thats whats great about certain fields especially EM, and FP. these two offer the most flexibility in terms of part-time work, locuming, etc.

the above post is dead on. its not easy so make sure this is what you want to do. there are lots of er docs that are IC's (independent contractors). they are basically contract docs..no group, not hosp staff. this can be full or part time. they almost always pick up your malpract insurance for u.

dont forget urgent care facilities which are really taking off due to the rising costs of er visits.

good luck!