Part-time fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aneskev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any part-time critical care fellowships (completed over 2 years instead of 1 year)? I've been looking at expanding my practice to include the ICU while remaining employed (part-time). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a really superior candidate, you might be able to work something out with one of the bigger programs or a brand new progam. The large fellowship classes have more built in flexibility. However, for a director to want to do something like this, you'd have to be a stellar candidate and they would have to really want you to join the faculty. It will be very difficult to schedule. Some programs are working to develop 2 year fellowships that incorporate a year of integrated research for the future academic folks. A program with that in the works could theoretically have you work instead of do research.
I wouldn't hold my breath about finding what you want, but it can't hurt to call around if you are a superstar.
My peds fellowship wants everyone to start on time and had a history of not making offers to people off cycle, but I started 2 months late. My wife had recently had a child and I wanted the time off. They wanted me, so they were willing to work with me. Initially I asked for 3 months off. We compromised.

Thanks for the info. I'm smart but not a superstar - just trying not to leave a good job for more training. Btw, the part-time slave comment...hilarious!

Aneskev - you could maybe see if you can find a non-ACGME accredited fellowship. They can be more creative with their hours/demands on you; the downside is that I don't know that you can get board certification via an unofficial fellowship.

When I first saw the question, I thought there wouldn't be an option to fit these needs, but it occurred to me that a number of reputable programs do the 5 year critical care residency track. Logistically, this means that resi-fellows pop in and out of ICU fellowship on a month-to-month basis. I wonder whether there would be any difference to the program in terms of scheduling if these part-time, month-to-month fellows went back to the OR for the month, or back to their private practice gig (as in your case). I'd probably find a list of those programs and start calling.

I would do a part-time ICU (or cardiac) fellowship in a heartbeat. I would even pay for a good one.

In the US, most if not all (surgical) residencies/fellowships are created to acquire cheap labor. Education is an afterthought, the same way it is with medical schools (which are more interested in research, not teaching). In what other country do people pay many tens of thousands of dollars/year to waste 6-8 hours a day holding surgical retractors and doing other menial jobs? How much can you learn when you are so tired all you can think about is the countdown to the end of the day/night? Some fellowships are not much different. Thank God for the ACGME rules.

The proof for the slave mentality is the existence of much longer fellowships than actually needed to learn the craft. 12 months for regional, OB or neuroanesthesia? ROTFL. And why can a T32 research fellow receive a subspecialty diploma after working as a fellow just 1 day/week for 2 years?

I remember when my program tried to recruit me into doing an "ambulatory" fellowship - one tailored by them, not by me, according to my interests. When I said no way, I was offered essentially the same job as an attending, for 4 times the hourly salary. There aren't many fellowships that are really worth the $150-200,000 price tag, not to mention all the other sacrifices.

Excuse my rambling. Maybe I am getting old and cynical...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know of any part-time critical care fellowships (completed over 2 years instead of 1 year)? I've been looking at expanding my practice to include the ICU while remaining employed (part-time). Thanks!

What is the advantage of doing this? It is the same financially (half pay for two years equals one year of full pay after fellowship).

If you have a family and significant expenses, like a mortgage, high interest student loans disability insurance, Benz payments, etc. and no solid FU account to fall back on, it's hard to go from $300-500k/yr to $60,000 for a year. If your spouse is not a high income earner, it may be impossible. But you might cut corners, cancel the trip to Costa Rica, and manage fine for 2 years on 200k.
She also might not want to leave a good job, but could potentially go part time for the fellowship.