Part time fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teufelhunden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of a part-time fellowship? I'm surprised this isn't more common, given that I suspect I'm not the only one who's considered fellowship training years after finishing residency. The issue is purely financial. I can't afford to live on fellowship pay (I'm six years post-residency), but I think if I could work part time during a part time fellowship, that would be doable. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say that I have actually seen someone do a part time fellowship, but I know that the place I did fellowship at was open to the idea (I'm not sure why it ultimately didn't work out - whether there was a logistical problem or if the applicant just changed their mind). I definitely think that there's no harm in asking about the possibility at the place where you would want to do it. Since so many psych fellowships go unfilled, it's definitely possible some places would much rather have a part time fellow than nobody at all.

I've known people who have done part-time fellowship because of child care issues. Depending on the fellowship, there are not necessarily that time consuming. If money if your primary concern, you could probably moonlight enough to cover some gaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it'll depend on the fellowship and the location.... and how likely/unlikely it has filled. Can you offer an idea of what you'd like to do and I'm sure there may be some members who can point you in the right direction.

Why not just go somewhere that allows moonlighting? Work some weekends and could easily pull additional 100k.
This. You can easily double your fellowship salary without breaking much of a sweat. You can pull in $100K if you don't mind keeping your nose to the grindstone for a year.