Part time hospital pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novananopharmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Currently I'm a fellow at a pharmaceutical company, which pays well enough, but of course I'm not actually practicing pharmacy. As a recent grad I'd really like to get a part time/floater job at a hospital so that I can get some practice experience. I've already passed the NAPLEX but I haven't taken the MPJE as yet. I applied to a local hospital and got rejected SUPER fast :(

So my question-- do new grads get hired into these floater/PT positions? I'm even willing to do weekends and nights if needed. Should I wait to apply until I have passed MPJE??

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for our hospital, but part time positions are quickly taken by current staff, and 'floaters' are preferred to be well trained and experienced. The most 'available' positions here are full time swing and night shifts. It's tough to crack into hospital without experience, training is expensive and long...most of our new grad hires take 6 months or more before they can fill in everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
All of our PT RPh's started as full timmers and slowly decreased hours - rpn people generally just don't last as it is so hard to keep up with all the changes unless you work regularly. It is generally not cost effective (in our area at least) to hire PT people as we can get all the FT qualified applicants we need

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably hard to get one of these positions without having some experience already. It takes a lot of time to train a pharmacist for inpatient work, which part-timers and PRN pharmacists can't usually spare. I once applied to a PRN position that wanted me to train full-time for eight weeks, which was just not possible since I had a full-time job.

Hello all!

Currently I'm a fellow at a pharmaceutical company, which pays well enough, but of course I'm not actually practicing pharmacy. As a recent grad I'd really like to get a part time/floater job at a hospital so that I can get some practice experience. I've already passed the NAPLEX but I haven't taken the MPJE as yet. I applied to a local hospital and got rejected SUPER fast :(

So my question-- do new grads get hired into these floater/PT positions? I'm even willing to do weekends and nights if needed. Should I wait to apply until I have passed MPJE??

Do you want to switch? I would love to go into the Pharma Industry lol . But anyway, good luck finding a position without experience. I'm a 2015 grad and it took me a year to find a hospital position. I was just recently hired for a part time and per-diem position here in NY.

I just graduated as well and got a full time hospital job in another state. There's definitely a learning curve if you don't have prior hospital experience. I think your success in finding a position really depends on your location. I applied to a ton of places around the East Coast, including part-time, night and per diem hospital positions as well as an outpatient MTM position I had the perfect work experience for. I didn't even get so much as a call or email in return. Your best chances are more rural areas where there's not a lot of competition, but I doubt that matches up with any of the industry hotspots you're probably in at the moment.