Part-Time Natl. Guard vs. HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheStudyOfLife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I have just interviewed at two DO schools and I have a strong feeling (fingers crossed) that I will receive an acceptance soon.

This being said, I've started to think about my options for the future. I have always wanted to serve as a physician in the military, but to what extent I have not decided.

I contacted a recruiter, and he told me about serving part-time in the Army National Guard. Stipend throughout med school (through MDSSP), and loan repayment of up to $60K per year, based on my needs. I can also opt for a stipend in residency (through STRAP). He told me that the more stipend I take, and the more loan repayment I seek, the longer my part-time commitment is. I would have to commit one weekend per month and two full weeks per year in part-time commitment, which I will be paid "drill pay".

I also know there is the HPSP scholarship. But honestly, I really don't know what the difference is between these two options. I was told that the part-time commitment will allow me to practice as a civilian physician and take military leave if I am called to deployment (90 days, but I know the Army can change its mind and keep me longer if they want).

Really just looking for someone to lay out the differences between part-time Army Guard and HPSP, and the pros/cons of each. Part-time guard seems like kind of a no-brainer? I want to be informed so I can make a good decision, while still pursuing my passion for medicine and military service.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

These are all generic questions that have been answered many times on this forum. Please take a look around and then we would be happy to answer questions if you still have any.

Maybe someone else will, but I don't feel like typing out the differences between reserves and active duty tonight.

The issue with guard and reserves is your commander may not care what you got going on in civilian life in terms of drill and might require you to be there even if you have something major going on.

Yeah, you need to read the site a bit. The highlights are:

HPSP:
  • Stipend for 4 years of medical school. The military pays for your books and tuition.
  • After graduating medical school, you will be active duty military for the duration of residency. You have a choice in what you want to go into for residency, but if there are more applicants than spots (think Emergency Medicine), the you will do a 1-2 year GMO tour before finishing residency (after doing a 1 year internship). If you don't get in residency a second time, you can finish out your 4 year obligation as a GMO and then start applying to residencies as a civilian.
  • Quality of military residencies is debatable. For folks that have done them, they view them favorably. Civilian-side, very few have any kind of reputation nationally and are typically viewed as decent community programs. No problem with that.
  • After finishing residency, you will likely owe the military your four years of active duty service before you can resign your commission. So if you went straight through (easy with Family, Psych, Pediatrics, harder with EM and the like), you would do four years of medical school + 1 year internship + 2-6 years of residency and owe 4 years active duty service (or 5 or 6 if your residency was that long).
ARNG:
  • You can take a stipend during medical school and/or residency. I think it's a bad idea. If you're that hard pressed for cash, just go active. If you take MDSSP for four years, you get the stipend but you will owe 8 years of payback after residency. So considering you do a 3-7 year residency, from the time you join to the time you can quit, you're looking at 15-19 years of service. If you take MDSSP for four years AND STRAP (the same stipend program but for residency), you will owe 4 years for MDSSP and 8 years for STRAP. So you're now looking at 19-23 years of service. For the sake of a stipend of $2200 or so per month? Not worth it.
  • You can also NOT take a stipend during medical school or residency. Then you finish medical school and residency and then can take your $40K/year student loan repayment. You can not take this loan repayment during your payback for MDSSP (15-19 years later). You CAN take it during your PGY3-7 years of residency if you go that route, but have to stop once you graduate.
  • You do a civilian residency. These can be worse, as good, or better than a military residency.
Which is better?
  • Depends on you. I went to a decent (but not amazing) allopathic medical school. I knew if I worked hard, I could likely match at a residency program better than those in the military. I did and I'm happy with the training I got. I got out and took the loan repayment and am now going to have my loans scheduled to be paid off 4 years after finishing fellowship. I can switch Active if I get that itch.
  • If you're planning on going into a community/county training program, particularly if for pediatrics or family, the residencies will be just as good or possibly better. And since I know they charge a grip at most osteopathic schools, HPSP might be a better buy.
  • Lastly- Only join if you want to serve. True for the ARNG, but at least as a part-time soldier, if you get pissed off with the Army, the only pain comes one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year (other than not smoking weed, not getting fat, and not growing out your hair). But keep in mind the one weekend/month and 2 weeks a year can be a bit of a myth. I regularly work more than that because I can't do my job effectively unless I devote more time and I feel I owe it to my patients to do my job effectively. For the active duty Army, which you will be a part of longer with HPSP, you can't watch the clock and wait for the weekend to end.
  • Only join if you want to serve. I know I'm repeating myself, but it bears repeating.