Part time student for last semester of undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just found out that next semester I can drop down to 9 credits (which would give me part-time status) and pay per credit hour, all while retaining 75% of my scholarship, since I already have way more than the 120 credits needed to graduate. This means that I would save $8000, and I wouldn't have to take some stupid 101 class that I'm not even interested in just to be full-time.

Assuming I'd still be allowed to live in the dorms (have to verify this, could very well be that you have to be full-time to live on campus), would whatever med school I end up attending be okay with me doing a semester as a part-time student?

EDIT: Under the eligibility section of my residence hall agreement, it simply says, "To be eligible for residence in University residence halls, a person must be currently registered as an undergraduate student at the University." I'd still be registered as an undergrad even if I was part-time, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools won't care.

Whether or not you can live in the dorms would be a question for your specific university.

Reactions: 4 users
Med schools won't care.

Whether or not you can live in the dorms would be a question for your specific university.

Yayyy thank you! I have confirmed (kind of, confirmed through Yik Yak lol) that I can still live in the dorms. So I think I will do this! Why not!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I did before medical school, worked out great. I played a whole lot of videogames

Reactions: 7 users
I'm doing the same exact thing next semester. it's funny how similar your situation is to mine, I'm also doing 9 credits, living in a dorm and graduating also. I would talk to the housing director just to confirm if u can stay in the dorms.

Do it that sounds like a blast! My friend who went to WashU only took 4 credit hours in his last semester. And that included a one credit hour "Tai Chi With Weapons" PE Class. School couldnt care less as long as you graduate.

Absolutely! I'm part time right now for my last semester and it is great! Plus you'll only have a couple of months before the real work load of med school comes. Enjoy your time now!

My loans were in deferment as long as I was registered at least half-time, which was I think 7 hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Yay now I'm excited about this :D my only issue now is I'm not sure if I should take physiology. I was really excited about taking it but I dunno if it's worth paying like $2000 for a class I'd retake in med school anyways.

Also thankfully I have no loans from undergrad so that's not an issue.

Physiology won't really help that much in med school, don't bother.

Yeah, I know :( I was just excited to take it. I think I'll wait and see if I got the job I applied for, and if not, I'll take it, since I wouldn't have anything else to do anyways.

Yeah, I know :( I was just excited to take it. I think I'll wait and see if I got the job I applied for, and if not, I'll take it, since I wouldn't have anything else to do anyways.
:shrug: I'd say enjoy yourself, but if that's how you think your time would be most enjoyably spent, by all means.

Members don't see this ad :)
:shrug: I'd say enjoy yourself, but if that's how you think your time would be most enjoyably spent, by all means.

Haha okay that's very true, but I'm also afraid I would just end up sitting in bed watching Netflix. Which sounds fun for a while but that's what I've been doing all semester and you start to feel like crap after a while.

Haha okay that's very true, but I'm also afraid I would just end up sitting in bed watching Netflix. Which sounds fun for a while but that's what I've been doing all semester and you start to feel like crap after a while.
Just add some chill to your Netflix, problem solved.

I'm also afraid I would just end up sitting in bed watching Netflix. Which sounds fun for a while but that's what I've been doing all semester and you start to feel like crap after a while.
Since you're likely to stay on campus with all it's resources and opportunities, perhaps you can be productive in other ways than academically and via cinematic appreciation.

Since you're likely to stay on campus with all it's resources and opportunities, perhaps you can be productive in other ways than academically and via cinematic appreciation.

Yeah you're right! I applied to be a TA and to be on the senior week committee, so that's a start.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you living in a campus dorm as a senior if cost is a consideration?

Why are you living in a campus dorm as a senior if cost is a consideration?

Tbh money was never really a consideration for me until recently. My parents pay for everything so I didn't mind paying $10,000 to live in a dorm (although I do regret this decision now, I should have lived off campus lol). But I think now that I've started to think about the financial aspect of med school, I've started to become a little bit more concerned with cutting costs wherever possible. Plus, like I said, my parents have been generous enough to pay for my entire undergrad education, so if I can save them $8000 I want to do so.

Tbh money was never really a consideration for me until recently. My parents pay for everything so I didn't mind paying $10,000 to live in a dorm (although I do regret this decision now, I should have lived off campus lol). But I think now that I've started to think about the financial aspect of med school, I've started to become a little bit more concerned with cutting costs wherever possible. Plus, like I said, my parents have been generous enough to pay for my entire undergrad education, so if I can save them $8000 I want to do so.
Does your school not do housing by quarter/semester? I could switch, back in UG during winter break if needed

Does your school not do housing by quarter/semester? I could switch, back in UG during winter break if needed

No, it's by the year. You can pay a fee to get out of the contract but it's super expensive.

Hello,
I just found out that next semester I can drop down to 9 credits (which would give me part-time status) and pay per credit hour, all while retaining 75% of my scholarship, since I already have way more than the 120 credits needed to graduate. This means that I would save $8000, and I wouldn't have to take some stupid 101 class that I'm not even interested in just to be full-time.

Assuming I'd still be allowed to live in the dorms (have to verify this, could very well be that you have to be full-time to live on campus), would whatever med school I end up attending be okay with me doing a semester as a part-time student?

EDIT: Under the eligibility section of my residence hall agreement, it simply says, "To be eligible for residence in University residence halls, a person must be currently registered as an undergraduate student at the University." I'd still be registered as an undergrad even if I was part-time, right?
Do it!! Have fun :D
Though if you have loans, don't you have to start paying those back 6 months after you are no longer a full-time student? Or is it 6 months after your official graduation?

Do it!! Have fun :D
Though if you have loans, don't you have to start paying those back 6 months after you are no longer a full-time student? Or is it 6 months after your official graduation?

I have noo idea since i have no loans, but I really need to start learning about that stuff for med school.

I have noo idea since i have no loans, but I really need to start learning about that stuff for med school.
Yeah I don't either. We are both so lucky not to have loans!! Yay us.
Fun fact: did you know loans for grad school start accumulating interest right away? Yaaaayyyyyyyyyy looking forward to it.... NOT

Yeah I don't either. We are both so lucky not to have loans!! Yay us.
Fun fact: did you know loans for grad school start accumulating interest right away? Yaaaayyyyyyyyyy looking forward to it.... NOT

Reallyyyy? For some reason I thought there was an option to defer them during residency!

Reallyyyy? For some reason I thought there was an option to defer them during residency!
I think you used to be able to, but not anymore. Now they accumulate from day 1 of med school (or whenever you first get money). It might depend on the type of loan though. Maybe it's just federal loans that accumulate the whole time, and some other loans don't? I need more financial aid helpppppppppp

I think you used to be able to, but not anymore. Now they accumulate from day 1 of med school (or whenever you first get money). It might depend on the type of loan though. Maybe it's just federal loans that accumulate the whole time, and some other loans don't? I need more financial aid helpppppppppp

Hahaha yeah I just recently found out there were more types of loans than just federal and private. Idk who to go to for advising on this. I mean my dad is an accountant so I'm pretty sure he knows about this crap but on the other hand, he makes me do everything on my own. When my parents dropped me off at college, they just stood there and said "figure it out".

You defer payment, but the loan starts accumulating interest immediately.

Ohhh okay I understand.
Do most people defer payment? I mean, residents make like $40,000 a year right? Obviously that's not much but if I'm single and have no kids it seems like it'd be reasonable to start paying off loans during residency.

Hahaha yeah I just recently found out there were more types of loans than just federal and private. Idk who to go to for advising on this. I mean my dad is an accountant so I'm pretty sure he knows about this crap but on the other hand, he makes me do everything on my own. When my parents dropped me off at college, they just stood there and said "figure it out".
Needless to say we'll pretty much have to figure it out at this point, being in our mid-twenties and all...
I think I'm going to contact the financial aid office of the school that accepted me and see if they'll answer all my questions.
Maybe there's a "Med school financial decisions for dummies" book we could read?

Lol I'm so confused. If you find this "med school financial decisions for dummies" book lmk

It can usually be found in the "Young Adult" section along with "Hunger Games: How To Feed Yourself... Responsibly"
Lol I'm so confused. If you find this "med school financial decisions for dummies" book lmk

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking 3 credits next semester (my last semester) lol

I am going to spend my free time writing and recording an album :headphone:

Last edited: