Thoughts on ECs for this semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishs

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was just wondering what y'all thought about my EC's for this semester. I'm going into my sophomore year. I didn't really do much this summer, as I had some plans that ended up falling through/general difficulties. I did clinical volunteering twice a week. Now, as this semester starts, here is my plan: I am on the e-board of a smaller premed club at my school, I am going to be volunteering at a Title I school for a couple hours each week, and I am continuing to work in a lab that I started in last semester. I worry about if I should add some clinical volunteering, but the hospital in my college town requires a time commitment, and I'm not sure if I can balance it with my homework during the week. Is it worth it to try to squeeze it in, or is what I'm already doing enough?

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Strong non-clinical community service activities show service orientation outside of a clinical setting (minimum 150 hours total by the time you submit your application to avoid getting screened out). Examples include food distribution, job/tax services, shelter work, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Teaching/tutoring is overrepresented among prehealth students, and it shows academic competency. Working in education is more meaningful if you were employed as a teacher at a Title 1 school. In terms of paying it forward, I think tutoring at a school is very helpful, but tons of premeds tutor K-12 students.

Reactions: 1 users
Strong non-clinical community service activities show service orientation outside of a clinical setting (minimum 150 hours total by the time you submit your application to avoid getting screened out). Examples include food distribution, job/tax services, shelter work, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Teaching/tutoring is overrepresented among prehealth students, and it shows academic competency. Working in education is more meaningful if you were employed as a teacher at a Title 1 school. In terms of paying it forward, I think tutoring at a school is very helpful, but tons of premeds tutor K-12 students.
Thank you for your input. The volunteering I'm doing seems to be more of a "mentoring" thing. It's described as a "helping immigrant students throughout the day" sort of thing. The students I work with speak limited english, but I'm not going to be teaching them english really. Does that also fall under tutoring/teaching?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the time requirement for clinical volunteering at the hospital versus the volunteering at the school?

What is the time requirement for clinical volunteering at the hospital versus the volunteering at the school?
There isn't really a big difference- 3hrs/week at the school and 4 at the hospital. I guess my thought was that I had already started with som clinical volunteering but didn't really have any nonclinical. I also realize that volunteering 7 hours a week isn't that much, but I am not able to do these on the weekends. And I don't to overcommit myself and have to drop one of them midway through.