Part-time student while working?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on how it would appear to adcoms if someone were to have finished their undergrad as a part-time student if they were working as well? I know many dental schools like to see a full course load, but that has not always been possible for me because I have had to support myself. Should I consider a master's program to boost my chances? cGPA= 3.5, BCP = 3.4, have not taken the DAT yet.

Thank you for any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is fine, no need for a master's. Working to support yourself is an understandable reason to be part-time, I'll assume you'll include that somewhere in your personal statement/application. You should be hearing some good news with a sufficient DAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks sjv, that is certainly an encouraging response. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on how it would appear to adcoms if someone were to have finished their undergrad as a part-time student if they were working as well? I know many dental schools like to see a full course load, but that has not always been possible for me because I have had to support myself. Should I consider a master's program to boost my chances? cGPA= 3.5, BCP = 3.4, have not taken the DAT yet.

Thank you for any and all advice!
This is actually sort of an advantage. I was able to discuss how, while taking 12 hours and working 20-30hrs/week I was able to effectively manage my time and such. You'll be fine, just do well on the DAT!

This is actually sort of an advantage. I was able to discuss how, while taking 12 hours and working 20-30hrs/week I was able to effectively manage my time and such. You'll be fine, just do well on the DAT!

Wow, I never would have thought it could actually work to my advantage. Thanks Illfavor! Btw, I love your avatar! <3

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah.. it's the best answer when they ask you " how do you manage time?. How will you handle dental schools' schedule?

That makes a lot of sense. I guess I just am worried because it's taken me forever to get my degree :/. Sometimes I wish I had rich parents :p

In a somewhat similar situation. Having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet... There has been a couple semesters where I only have 9 credits. I am getting there slowly but surely..

Having only 9 credits a semester or two will not effect my chances of getting in if stats are where they need to be? That is relieving if true,

In a somewhat similar situation. Having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet... There has been a couple semesters where I only have 9 credits. I am getting there slowly but surely..

Having only 9 credits a semester or two will not effect my chances of getting in if stats are where they need to be? That is relieving if true,

Don't worry about it, completely understandable with 2 jobs.