Part Time Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epochdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am really struggling in my Italian class and I was considering dropping it. Since it is relatively late in the quarter, it would be seen on my transcript and, as a result of dropping the class, I would only be enrolled in 9 units and would be a part time student.

I was wondering how admissions would view this? Italian isn't a pre-req and I'm taking Chinese as my foreign language.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What sort of grade are you looking at? Would this affect your financial aid in any way?

Dropping to part-time status for a semester isn't going to sink your chances anywhere. Most, if not all, schools want to see you do well for at least 1-2 years in an academically challenging setting, so if you're going light this semester, pick up the pace for your other ones

Members don't see this ad :)
As mentioned above, dropping to part time could cause you to lose financial aid. Make sure you are able to explain why you were part time this quarter (are you working a lot? or other personal reasons?).

As mentioned above, dropping to part time could cause you to lose financial aid. Make sure you are able to explain why you were part time this quarter (are you working a lot? or other personal reasons?).

I'm not going through any special circumstances, just a part time job and some extracurriculars. I only took Italian to try it out but I've quickly realized that it's not for me and I'm struggling in it. Also, it wouldn't affect my financial aid because I don't have any, haha.

If I'm not going through any reason such as working a lot/personal reasons, do you guys still recommend that I drop it?

It may be different in other states but in GA financial aid is calculated on "attempted hours" not "completed hours" so as long as you "attempt" at least 12 hours you are considered full time

It may be different in other states but in GA financial aid is calculated on "attempted hours" not "completed hours" so as long as you "attempt" at least 12 hours you are considered full time

I think at my school it's the amount of units you're currently enrolled in. So if I were to drop below 12 units at any point in a quarter, I would be considered part time. All in all, not that big of a deal to me since I don't have financial aid and I have taken more than enough units in the past so I'm on track to graduate on time. My main concern is how it would look to drop this late in the quarter (week 9/10) and how being a part time student would look to admissions.