Part-Time this Summer - Private Loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

matthius83

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a rising MS4. My school has fall, spring, and summer semesters. For this summer, I plan on being part-time, and just found out that I won't be eligible for federal aid (we only get federal aid if we are part-time for the fall and spring). Does anyone have advice on private loans? I know Citi and Chase have health professions loans. Does anyone have experience with them? Any estimates on the interest rate I will get (looking for a loan around 10k if that matters)? I know this depends on other factors, such as credit history, cosigners, etc. All the advice is appreciated. Thanks!
 
I am a rising MS4. My school has fall, spring, and summer semesters. For this summer, I plan on being part-time, and just found out that I won't be eligible for federal aid (we only get federal aid if we are part-time for the fall and spring). Does anyone have advice on private loans? I know Citi and Chase have health professions loans. Does anyone have experience with them? Any estimates on the interest rate I will get (looking for a loan around 10k if that matters)? I know this depends on other factors, such as credit history, cosigners, etc. All the advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I have good credit (mid 700s credit score) and I took out the CitiBank loans this year (in mid fall). They advertise a 3% over LIBOR but I can't imagine who qualifies for it. I received 11.75% over LIBOR and took out the max 18k.

The interest rate SUCKS. But I didn't want to live like a pauper 4th year. I'll just pay off some of it during residency and the rest of it my first year as an attending.