Partial Filling Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mao_Mao123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a Rx for drug, "A", reads: Take 2-4 Tabs, PO, Q6-8H, as needed for pain #30

The pharmacy only has 14 tablets of drug "A" in stock on Monday, with a new stock coming on Wednesday.
The patient can't wait until Wednesday to receive her full amount.
So, how much would you give the patient?

Members don't see this ad.

The maximum amount per day would be 16 (4 tab q6h), but you only have 14, so would you even be able to dispense them if you know that you cannot complete it in time? I was always told to assume they take the maximum amount for day's supply but this is a bit different. Is this for a technician exam?

The maximum amount per day would be 16 (4 tab q6h), but you only have 14, so would you even be able to dispense them if you know that you cannot complete it in time? I was always told to assume they take the maximum amount for day's supply but this is a bit different. Is this for a technician exam?
No, I made this question up. I'm practicing calculating partial refills. In one example, the pt's Rx said: Take 2 Tablets PO QD #30. On Monday, their pharmacy only had #15 tablets in stock, so it was easy figuring out how many tablets would be given to the pt for a partial (6 tablets...) until Wednesday's stock came in.

But I know that's not always the case. People often have a range...like take 2-4 tablets PO Q6-8H. So, do we still go with the highest frequency of pills taken or the lowest to save some left over for other pt's until the new stock arrives?

Reactions: 1 user
No, I made this question up. I'm practicing calculating partial refills. In one example, the pt's Rx said: Take 2 Tablets PO QD #30. On Monday, their pharmacy only had #15 tablets in stock, so it was easy figuring out how many tablets would be given to the pt for a partial (6 tablets...) until Wednesday's stock came in.

But I know that's not always the case. People often have a range...like take 2-4 tablets PO Q6-8H. So, do we still go with the highest frequency of pills taken or the lowest to save some left over for other pt's until the new stock arrives?
It's an interesting scenario. The only thing I would be worried about would be if you somehow became liable for dispensing too few, which would happen in either case in some fashion, I suppose. Because if you dispensed all 14 and they used them all that day, they wouldn't have any left for day 2, but if you only dispensed the minimum amount (12) they would have enough until wednesday, but then again that assumes they only use 6 per day.

Reactions: 1 user