Partnerships in pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, MD, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to ask something that's been bugging me lately. Can/Do pharmacists form partnerships? I've heard of a group of pharmacists opening a store together, but is it possible for a single person to form partnerships with several different groups pharmacists and be a silent partner in several different pharmacies? Does this even work? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

If by partner you mean part owner of a pharmacy, then sure, pharmacists do that all the time. You don't have to work at the pharmacy you own if thats what you mean by "silent" partner. As far as owning multiple pharmacies, sure, how much capital do you have?;) Outside of owning a retail pharmacy, I do know of a few pharmacists that have opened non-dispensing pharmacies that do disease state management, consulting, and MTM. This would be much rarer than the retail pharmacy situation and there might not necessarily be as much money (profit) involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
too many greedy people to get involved...the ones that are not greedy would never sign up for this due to the risks associated with it...

I don't necessarily agree that only greedy people would be interested in forming partnerships to create new pharmacies. That translates to me as all business owners are greedy and thats just not true.

too many greedy people to get involved...the ones that are not greedy would never sign up for this due to the risks associated with it...

...But greed is always a threat in any kind of business venture involving more than one person.

In Canada, only pharmacists can be owners of Shopper Drug Mart chain stores.