Party if accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I'm a member of a pretty small fraternity on campus and some of my fraternity brothers want to throw me a party if I get accepted to medical school. I'm really concerned that the adcom would hear of it and rescind my acceptance. I wouldn't allow alcohol or anything there for fear of something bad happening. Should I allow the party to happen at all though?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a member of a pretty small fraternity on campus and some of my fraternity brothers want to throw me a party if I get accepted to medical school. I'm really concerned that the adcom would hear of it and rescind my acceptance. I wouldn't allow alcohol or anything there for fear of something bad happening. Should I allow the party to happen at all though?

Is this a joke? You are allowed to have fun without worrying about the "adcom finding out"

Unbelievable:rolleyes:

Due, they don't send private investigators to follow you around. You're being waaaay too paranoid. Throw a huge bash, and have some fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were on an adcom, I'd probably rescind your acceptance if you DIDN'T throw a party.

Dude, they'd be able to google up pictures of your party on facebook, and then reject u I wouldn't risk it man

I would absolutely not celebrate or show any visible signs of excitement. The feds, in collusion with the secret underground society of adcoms, have ALL chapters of Tri-Lambda under 24-hour surveillance for excessive emotional outbursts. Godspeed, and best of luck on your application.

Sorry for the dated 80s reference, if anyone missed it.:idea:

C'mon. Do you honestly think that any adcom would rescind an acceptance for you partying after getting into their school? Though their heartless rejection letters may make us think otherwise, they do not live their entire lives with a tree in their ***. Pretty much every doctor I've ever met has at least some affinity for the consumption of alcohol.

By the way, OP, you better party your *** off when you get into medical school.

hahah ohh man! that was awesome!

no alcohol for something bad to happen? from the sound of this the worst thing that would happen is after too many daiquiris you might have a "hang over" :laugh:.

Oh man are you kidding me? The night you finally get an acceptance should be a night to remember man!

Members don't see this ad :)
GET CRUNK SON AND DO WORK ON THOSE SOROSTITUTES :smuggrin:

If you are actually serious....

plainfacezf1.png

Since when were there parties without alcohol?

:lol::lol::lol: you must belong to one of those frats that are known for their stellar behavior!!!!

What did your frat bros have in mind?

If you wanna be remembered for throwing the lamest party ever go for it. Alcohol free? are you kidding me? whatever floats your boat man.

why do you have ur GPA in your ****ing signature?

ROFL

It's a pretty average GPA for a premed anyway

Let me articulate to you that without alcohol, you will not have a "party," you will have "a bunch of guys sitting around." Yes, I said guys, because if you are big enough of a tool to throw a party and just have punch and soda, there will not be any girls there.

My friend already agreed on an open tab for me, in her name, when I get an acceptance. She says since she's in ROTC I should think of it as a tax return from Uncle Sam.

why do you have ur (****ing) GPA in your signature?

lmao! thats exactly what i was thinking..

not that a 3.6 is a terrible gpa, but with all the hotshots roaming around sdn, i wouldn't brag about it. :laugh:

My friend already agreed on an open tab for me, in her name, when I get an acceptance. She says since she's in ROTC I should think of it as a tax return from Uncle Sam.

...SO appropriate given your username! :laugh: :thumbup:

If you wanna be remembered for throwing the lamest party ever go for it. Alcohol free? are you kidding me? whatever floats your boat man.

:laugh:

They'll probably ban him from affiliation with the fraternity after it is over.

Okay I just got home and read all the comments and I think its obvious that I need to expound on what I said earlier.

My fraternity throws lots of parties but our campus is dry so everyone usually gets drunk before they show up to parties, and if you do drink while at the party it must be in a solo cup and not in the bottle or can it came in. Basically if I got accepted there wouldn't be a special party for me but it would be a normal "XXX fraternity party" with some kind of tagline such as "come out and celebrate so and so getting into medical school."
There have been lots of incidents with parties on my campus and often times the local media gets REALLY involved when something goes on. For example, two guys got in a fight off campus and they happened to be in separate fraternities and one of the guys ended up in the hospital. The local media stated that it was a "frat war" of sorts and named the fraternities on the local news and everything.
There are numerous other incidents that happen at parties which are usually driven by alcohol. If something were to happen at this such party and the local news reported it as a party for me I do indeed think it could screw me over, especially if they mentioned it was for me getting into medical school. This is one of the reasons that I probably wouldn't want alchohol present at the party but if you wanted to get drunk before it wouldn't matter.

In a nutshell, the school, campus, and local media really have a negative connotation of greek organizations on my campus. So if something were to go awry at this party i.e. rape or alcohol related death, things that do happen when you have 100s of drunk college kids running around I would hate for it to come back on me. This is why I think I would rather not have my name associated with such an event, and would rather just go to a local bar and have a few beers with some friends.

hmmm. Sounds like your environment need to lighten up! After acceptance I think you and 10-20 of your closest frat buddies should go to Vegas. Afterall, what happens in Vegas...

You could still have the party... Just know yourself that the party is in your honor without actually making a tagline about it when advertising the party. If something bad happened... everyone would just think it's an usual frat party and not associate you with the event... You don't need a party where everyone knows you got into medical school for you to have fun and celebrate this event in your life

Sounds like wherever you live is pretty gay :\

This is why I think I would rather not have my name associated with such an event, and would rather just go to a local bar and have a few beers with some friends.

1) Your school sucks for having dry frats.
2) You don't have to call it the: "Ejay got into med school let's get crunk party"...just throw a random party
3) Since your campus sucks (see #1), just go to a bar with some friends. Are you really going to throw a 100+ person party in honor of you getting into med school?

The night I got my first acceptance, myself and my two buddies were in Cork, Ireland. We bought a bottle of Jameson and finished it walking the streets. The locals loved us.

You may not enjoy yourself. Ever. If they find out, they'll think you're a troublemaker who doesn't know how to be serious about studying. It calls into question your very fitness to be a doctor.

1. Buy the new Girl Talk album
2. Put it on.
3. The party will come TO YOU

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand the frat mentality of drinking into oblivion and inviting everyone and their mother to join in. Why can't your friends just have a smaller party so that the local media and whoever else won't get involved? Or perhaps just spread the party out for the rest of the summer. That's what I am doing.

Hahaha relax man. If you get accepted, most med schools will throw a party for you. AKA second look weekend.

Let your friends throw you a party. Enjoy it. Get drunk. Meet people. Have fun. Strap it up.

lol geez... im a vp of my fraternity, and hell, the night i get accepted into medical school, i probably won't remember. after my buddy took the mcat he rented a limo and invited all of his close friends and everyone got tanked.
moral of the story, live life. its legal to drink and hang out w/ friends.

I guess I don't understand the frat mentality of drinking into oblivion and inviting everyone and their mother to join in. Why can't your friends just have a smaller party so that the local media and whoever else won't get involved? Or perhaps just spread the party out for the rest of the summer. That's what I am doing.
:thumbup:

lol geez... im a vp of my fraternity, and hell, the night i get accepted into medical school, i probably won't remember. after my buddy took the mcat he rented a limo and invited all of his close friends and everyone got tanked.
moral of the story, live life. its legal to drink and hang out w/ friends.

it sounds awesome to be rich

Okay I just got home and read all the comments and I think its obvious that I need to expound on what I said earlier.

My fraternity throws lots of parties but our campus is dry so everyone usually gets drunk before they show up to parties, and if you do drink while at the party it must be in a solo cup and not in the bottle or can it came in. Basically if I got accepted there wouldn't be a special party for me but it would be a normal "XXX fraternity party" with some kind of tagline such as "come out and celebrate so and so getting into medical school."
There have been lots of incidents with parties on my campus and often times the local media gets REALLY involved when something goes on. For example, two guys got in a fight off campus and they happened to be in separate fraternities and one of the guys ended up in the hospital. The local media stated that it was a "frat war" of sorts and named the fraternities on the local news and everything.
There are numerous other incidents that happen at parties which are usually driven by alcohol. If something were to happen at this such party and the local news reported it as a party for me I do indeed think it could screw me over, especially if they mentioned it was for me getting into medical school. This is one of the reasons that I probably wouldn't want alchohol present at the party but if you wanted to get drunk before it wouldn't matter.

In a nutshell, the school, campus, and local media really have a negative connotation of greek organizations on my campus. So if something were to go awry at this party i.e. rape or alcohol related death, things that do happen when you have 100s of drunk college kids running around I would hate for it to come back on me. This is why I think I would rather not have my name associated with such an event, and would rather just go to a local bar and have a few beers with some friends.

So... you do realize that you're living inside a comedic movie plot from the early 1980's, don't you?

:smuggrin:

Double post