PA's and malpractice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

succedaneous32

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do PA's have to carry some type of malpractice insurance? Or are they protected under the physician or place of employment?

Members don't see this ad.

PA's carry their own malpractice insurance. Either they can purchase a separate policy or they can go on their supervising physicians as a rider (not recommended). Cost of annual malpractice varies on specialty practiced. IM will run around 3-4 thousand but rates are going up in 2005, in some cases tripling.

most pa's have this covered as part of their benefits package. I would not take any job that did not include this as a covered benefit.and yes, as the poster above indicated, rates are going up for pa's as well as docs. this year rates doubled for pa's in my group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information. I was looking into applying to PA school. I originally had thought about dental school, but now I am leaning to PA. A friend at work told me that it was a bad choice because of the malpractice, but if it is offered as a benefit then that would be great.

succedaneous32 said:
Thank you for the information. I was looking into applying to PA school. I originally had thought about dental school, but now I am leaning to PA. A friend at work told me that it was a bad choice because of the malpractice, but if it is offered as a benefit then that would be great.

Don't dentists pay malpractice insurance as well?

girlscallmepogi said:
Don't dentists pay malpractice insurance as well?
I think they carry something, but I worked for a dentist that had an anesth. degree and he was the only one that really had to pay malpractice. I know that Dentists like him and oral surgoens do, but I am not totally positive about general dentists' malpractice. Anyway, most people think that dentists make so much money that it does not dent their salary as much as say a PA. I looked online and found that the average Dentist salary is $125,000 -200,000 and the PA salary is $75,000 - 89,000. Of course that is just an average.