PAs in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnw826

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it is becoming increasingly difficult to pay bills and go to school, and I think that I might just do the PA route until things are more financially stable. But I was wondering, does Canada employ PAs? Is it difficult to move there and work as one? I have always been interested in moving up north, and it would be awesome if my degree worked there, as well. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

MOST PA jobs in foreign countries are LIKELY to pay significantly less (Excluding Outlier jobs like DOD Contracts, etc. This topic debated to death at physicianassistant.net). I would only recommend such jobs for younger folks without a family yet (Or cat people) who are doing it for the travel experience, and by definition generally have low overhead and fewer responsibilities (i.e.- Kids, a mortgage, etc).

guetzow said:
MOST PA jobs in foreign countries are LIKELY to pay significantly less (Excluding Outlier jobs like DOD Contracts, etc. This topic debated to death at physicianassistant.net). I would only recommend such jobs for younger folks without a family yet (Or cat people) who are doing it for the travel experience, and by definition generally have low overhead and fewer responsibilities (i.e.- Kids, a mortgage, etc).

Well crap then. I am a crazy cat lady, but I do also have a family. Pooh.

Members don't see this ad :)
The culture thing alone may do it for you. Unfortunately, the high American PA salary isn't portable yet.

I spoke with reps from both the manitoba and ontario provinces at the aapa conference this week. they are both actively recruiting pa's for primary care and specialties. salaries are" highly competitive"-whatever that means.
I had been thinking about doing em in england or scotland but may try ontario 1st to see how I like practicing outside the u.s.
more to follow I'm sure....

emedpa said:
I spoke with reps from both the manitoba and ontario provinces at the aapa conference this week. they are both actively recruiting pa's for primary care and specialties. salaries are" highly competitive"-whatever that means.
I had been thinking about doing em in england or scotland but may try ontario 1st to see how I like practicing outside the u.s.
more to follow I'm sure....

being a canadian who wants to pursue the PA route, that is very encouraging news emedpa!! i always assumed that i'd have to live in the US the rest of my career, but maybe not afterall! Good to know the option is out there. Thanks for the info!

wildorchid said:
being a canadian who wants to pursue the PA route, that is very encouraging news emedpa!! i always assumed that i'd have to live in the US the rest of my career, but maybe not afterall! Good to know the option is out there. Thanks for the info!
do you know about the u.wa/medex option for canadians?
didactic in the states and clinicals in canada...sweet deal if you are canadian.....