PA's in OB/GYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momNP2be

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is directed towards PA's in OB/GYN. Do you feel the training was adequate in PA school for this field? I was originally planning on becoming a PA after RN school (2006), but now I am seriously considering NP because the program I would want to go to is 2 years focused on just women's health.
I am 100% positive this is the field I want to be in. Also, when you graduated did you have to do some kind of internship to do OB/GYN? Any response would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

As a PA in OB/GYN and reproductive endocrinology, I can say that I wouldn't trade my PA training for anything. There are substantial differences in PA and NP training, and which way you go is up to you. PAs are trained on a medical model. You will have 2-3 years of intense MEDICINE. (classroom and clinical) With an NP program you will have 8 mo - 2 years of mostly clinical learning. The NP training lacks the general medical training and strong didactic background. It relies on knowledge accumulated during your years experience as an RN. If you are just interested in OB/GYN and are sure you have no interest in general medicine, go to NP school. However, I can't emphasize enough how much that general medical training sets you ahead and apart within your subspecialty. PA school is more intese, but gratifying. Best of luck. You will do well in both areas.

Hey Ktpac, do you get to deliver babies as a PA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You so much for your response. I guess I'll wait to see how I like nursing first (so far so good).

You need to look into how the laws are in your state, also who gets to do what in the hospitals. It is my impression that an FNP/midwife is more desireable than a PA in OB/GYN.