PASCAL anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkey7247

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This laser rocks! PRP in 5 minutes. We've got one at our program now. I don't know if I'll be able to go back to the standard argon after this. Anyone else use this and love it?

EDIT: PASCAL is a PAttern SCAn Laser. It lays down multiple spots at once in multiple patterns.

Members don't see this ad.

We've had one at our program for 2 years now, even got the indirect laser module recently (sorry, no patterns with the indirect though ;)

Love this laser for slit lamp delivered PRP. You have to watch out though... it is very easy to break through Bruch's with this laser. So when you get out into the periphery where there is more pigment, you have to remember to turn the power down.

Members don't see this ad :)
What a dream come true. At our next meeting I'm going to ask if we can get one of these. The magic sentence will be "Since we can do PRP's in less time, we can get through more patients each laser session, which means more $$$ for the clinic!"

What a dream come true. At our next meeting I'm going to ask if we can get one of these. The magic sentence will be "Since we can do PRP's in less time, we can get through more patients each laser session, which means more $$$ for the clinic!"

Believe me, it's like night and day. Plus, I no longer get "PRP shoulder" after doing 10 or so in a row.

I am ambivalent about it. At our institution, it has become the primary laser, and I sometimes find myself wishing for the argon. My two largest issues are that 1) it doesn't cut through hemorrhage well and 2) the difference in energy and duration used is sufficiently large between a YAG and argon that I find myself wondering whether I have treated to the standards outlined by various landmark studies. Lesser complaints include 3)distortion of the grid pattern at the edge of the condensing lens that can result in an unequal uptake (for example, only 6 of 9 spots taking). 4) An almost obligatory treating of vessels when doing a PRP with a larger grid pattern. 5) The circular patterns are interesting, but I rarely use them since retinopexies rarely follow a perfect shape. 6)I find the thumb joystick(for the aiming beam) location awkward(though useable). 7) The LIO cord is pretty short.

On the upside, it is a very ergonomically designed system(thumbstick aside), and the touch screen is nice. Overall, the patients do seem more comfortable. I can't comment on postop inflammation, since I typically do divided sessions with either laser type.

My take: If you primarily do PRP at the slit lamp, it will probably save you some time. If you are proficient with the LIO, it probably won't. Personally, I am undecided on which laser I would purchase.

We previewed it and ordered it. Saved a tremendous amount of time. I agree with the concern over treatment of vessels.