Pass Fail a Science Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertykk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore and I'm taking an anatomy class. I'm project to get a B/B+ in it. I currently have a 3.85 gpa and these grades will lower my GPA significantly.Is it looked down upon to pass fail the course? I have already pass failed 2 non-science (fun electives) during COVID.

Members don't see this ad.

take the B/ B+ !
Having a W or two is not unusual, but if you do it too much it will look like you're trying to dodge a low grade.
Also, med schools prefer you to have letter grades in your science courses.
During the COVID-19 pandemic they have accepted P/F grading in a prerequisite course if your college gave you no other option, but I don't expect this exception to the rule to last much longer.

take the B/ B+ !
Having a W or two is not unusual, but if you do it too much it will look like you're trying to dodge a low grade.
During the COVID-19 pandemic they have accepted P/F grading in a prerequisite course if your college gave you no other option, but I don't expect this exception to the rule to last much longer.
Hi, I have a question too, would appreciate if you could reply. I would like to pass/fail one non science general elective class that I took for fun but turned out bad. I am a Sophomore right now with 3.9+ gpa. Would p/f this one general elective look bad or raise any red flags? I don’t have any Ws or P/F yet will probably get As in all other classes this semester except probably a B+ in Orgo 2. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have a question too, would appreciate if you could reply. I would like to pass/fail one non science general elective class that I took for fun but turned out bad. I am a Sophomore right now with 3.9+ gpa. Would p/f this one general elective look bad or raise any red flags? I don’t have any Ws or P/F yet will probably get As in all other classes this semester except probably a B+ in Orgo 2. Thanks.
This sounds like a better situation to use a P/F option and shouldn't hurt you

take the B/ B+ !

Thank you so much for your response!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a sophomore and I'm taking an anatomy class. I'm project to get a B/B+ in it. I currently have a 3.85 gpa and these grades will lower my GPA significantly. Is it looked down upon to pass fail the course? I have already pass failed 2 non-science (fun electives) during COVID.
TAKE THE B! (The COVID circumstance was unique.)

I won't say it would be frowned upon, but don't do anything that could make some faculty members point it out and wonder if you were on the verge of failing the class and took the P/F way out (meaning, you would have probably barely got a C). Imagine my shock if I asked you why you took Anatomy pass/fail, and you answered that you were afraid you'd make a B-plus...

If you have to take a general knowledge/elective class pass-fail to keep your focus on your science courses, I am sure my "shocked face" will not be made in response. Or at least it won't be that obvious.

Reactions: 1 users
I won't say it would be frowned upon, but don't do anything that could make some faculty members point it out and wonder if you were on the verge of failing the class and took the P/F way out (meaning, you would have probably barely got a C). Imagine my shock if I asked you why you took Anatomy pass/fail, and you answered that you were afraid you'd make a B-plus...
This. Generally, it's safe to assume that skeptical folks on an admissions committee will read a "P" grade as the lowest possible passing grade you could get (C/C-, depending on the school's policies). IMO, a B or B- looks better than a P.

Reactions: 1 user