Pass/Fail Advice (Checked other threads first)

HopeP

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
It seems like you've already decided, but just to throw this in for discussion/future readers:

Last I checked, not all schools were uniformly accepting P/F grades for pre-requisite classes. Some schools have announced that they are accepting them for Spring/Summer work without prejudice, some have said they are accepting them only if they were institutionally mandated, some have said they strongly encourage students to take pre-requisites graded if they have an option, and some have not stated any changed policies.

I would strongly suggest checking the policies at some of the medical schools you would want to apply to before deciding to make sure this choice isn't going to have unexpected long-term effects.

Both a P and a C+ are going to appear similar, so if there's any possibility that the P grade might cause issues in your application down the road, that's something to think about.
Here is link that HPA offices across UGs are compiling together for P/F treatment by medical schools. Remove the '...remove...' before docs for actual link

Reactions: 1 user
May 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Here is link that HPA offices across UGs are compiling together for P/F treatment by medical schools. Remove the '...remove...' before docs for actual link

Thanks for that. There's an AAMC list too, but it's restricted from broad sharing.

It notes this on the list, but definitely be aware that things are changing. The differences between what schools reported in April vs. June vs. August has been significant for some schools (and others haven't seemed to change).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks for that. There's an AAMC list too, but it's restricted from broad sharing.

It notes this on the list, but definitely be aware that things are changing. The differences between what schools reported in April vs. June vs. August has been significant for some schools (and others haven't seemed to change).
Here's the MSAR list of COVID-19 policies for each med school organized by state, it's up to date and continues to be updated regularly. I used it to help guide my decision!

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
May 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Here's the MSAR list of COVID-19 policies for each med school organized by state, it's up to date and continues to be updated regularly. I used it to help guide my decision!

Yeah, that one is the one that I mentioned being restricted from broad sharing, hence the reason advisors are compiling a Google Sheet version that says "For Students". Notice on the top of the first page of your link, it says:

This document and its contents are the intellectual property of the AAMC and are intended solely for your use as a pre-health advisor. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

I'm not saying other advisors aren't distributing it, or that you can't find it with google, but there's a reason I haven't been linking to it. It was way too much paperwork to get recognized by AAMC as an advisor to break the rules they have in place.

Reactions: 1 user

HopeP

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Yeah, that one is the one that I mentioned being restricted from broad sharing, hence the reason advisors are compiling a Google Sheet version that says "For Students". Notice on the top of the first page of your link, it says:

This document and its contents are the intellectual property of the AAMC and are intended solely for your use as a pre-health advisor. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

I'm not saying other advisors aren't distributing it, or that you can't find it with google, but there's a reason I haven't been linking to it. It was way too much paperwork to get recognized by AAMC as an advisor to break the rules they have in place.
Another bureaucratic red tape. Wonder what is intellectual property in that document that only pre-health advisor should know but not applicants?

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

That's all well and good, and I would never advocate anyone breaking any rules, but why should an advisor have access to information that actual applicants don't have? To protect MSAR subscription fees?

If AAMC is so interested in that, they should give you the same MSAR access we have (and charge you for it as well), rather than producing a handy dandy .pdf that is easily distributed, because it is easier for you to have everything in one convenient document. Your wanting to honor their desires is admirable, but it's really hard to feel sorry or to justify anyone's desire to deny important information to applicants, or to force them to either pay for the information or to have to deal with an advisor in order to be able to access it.

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Another bureaucratic red tape. Wonder what is intellectual property in that document that only pre-health advisor should know but not applicants?
It's all proprietary, and they want you to pay for it through MSAR.

HopeP

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
It's all proprietary, and they want you to pay for it through MSAR.
Agree its proprietary, but the tile cited here states 'intellectual property'. What is intellectual in the information? Document is about Admission policies and information. Doesn't AAMC wants applicants to know about admission policies or just see through advisor lens only? Imagine UG students where pre-health advisor is a luxury.

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Agree its proprietary, but the tile cited here states 'intellectual property'. What is intellectual in the information? Document is about Admission policies and information. Doesn't AAMC wants applicants to know about admission policies or just see through advisor lens only? Imagine UG students where pre-health advisor is a luxury.
The proprietary compilation is intellectual property. AAMC gathered it, compiled it, published it, owns it, and offers it for sale. The same as the information in the New York Times everyday.

HopeP

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
The proprietary compilation is intellectual property. AAMC gathered it, compiled it, published it, owns it, and offers it for sale. The same as the information in the New York Times everyday.
I don't see any confidential, trade secrets or any other info that would give AAMC competitive edge in market (because market is non-competitive for AAMC). It seems word intellect doesn't make sense in profiling that document. Other documents like 'Secondary Application Policies' are also titled same way, why an applicant has to go to advisor to know and understand secondary application policy for a school? The word 'Intellectual Property' is very loosely used for compiled information.
Secondary application required or not?, Secondary application fee, applicants criteria, fee waiver, deadline. Do we call them intellect property?
If I go each and every college site and put that information together, does it become my intellectual property?

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't see any confidential, trade secrets or any other info that would give AAMC competitive edge in market (because market is non-competitive for AAMC). It seems word intellect doesn't make sense in profiling that document. Other documents like 'Secondary Application Policies' are also titled same way, why an applicant has to go to advisor to know and understand secondary application policy for a school? The word 'Intellectual Property' is very loosely used for compiled information.
Secondary application required or not?, Secondary application fee, applicants criteria, fee waiver, deadline. Do we call them intellect property?
If I go each and every college site and put that information together, does it become my intellectual property?
What don't you understand? AAMC gathers all sorts of information regarding the application process, and SELLS it in a subscription service known as Medical School Admission Requirements. The document that was linked is a compilation from that service. I agree that it SHOULD be made available to all of us for free, or to none of us, but it isn't. Advisors get it, for free, because it makes their lives easier. AAMC doesn't want us to have it, because then we would have one less reason to pay for the subscription. What don't you understand?

You don't think there is anything "intellectual" about it? So, quit whatever it is you do with your time and devote yourself to gathering all of the non-confidential information contained therein. What the New York Times publishes everyday is also not a trade secret - in, fact, wide dissemination of the information is the very reason for its existence. That doesn't mean you can have it without paying, just because news of whatever Trump is up to at the moment is not a trade secret! :laugh:

HopeP

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
What don't you understand? AAMC gathers all sorts of information regarding the application process, and SELLS it in a subscription service known as Medical School Admission Requirements. The document that was linked is a compilation from that service. I agree that it SHOULD be made available to all of us for free, or to none of us, but it isn't. Advisors get it, for free, because it makes their lives easier. AAMC doesn't want us to have it, because then we would have one less reason to pay for the subscription. What don't you understand?

You don't think there is anything "intellectual" about it? So, quit whatever it is you do with your time and devote yourself to gathering all of the non-confidential information contained therein. What the New York Times publishes everyday is also not a trade secret - in, fact, wide dissemination of the information is the very reason for its existence. That doesn't mean you can have it without paying, just because news of whatever Trump is up to at the moment is not a trade secret! :laugh:
My argument is not about paid/free. AAMC can charge whatever they deemed appropriate. Rather the word 'Intellect Property' that is used so loose and generic way. I will rest that discussion now.

Aug 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

MSAR made a lot of their information available to anyone for free due to COVID-19, including this sheet- which is why I shared it! It doesn’t require a paid subscription to view and the pdf link was taken directly from their site. I don’t think there should be any problems with sharing the link but I can always edit it out of my reply if there are concerns.

PandaBaer

Bamboo is a great source of fiber
Jan 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
@KnightDoc with how much you seem to enjoy debating the legal technicalities of other people's actions and casting definitive judgement on their life decisions, I wonder if you'd rather be more suited to pre-law.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.